Texan Airplane Store...a scam?

That’s a different issue, defective models leave the factories all the time. They still have to be sold. We can always return a model to the retailer, but in many cases the retailer will still try to sell the model again to someone who would not notice/not care about whatever is wrong with it.

I’m thinking stuff like when GJ messes up the cockpit windows, or Aeroclassics come with wavy wings, etc. That’s just how those models are, and as long as enough of us put up with it, things won’t change.

When NG forgets to print the titles on one side of the model, etc. Then things might be different. The model is likely to be re-sold at a discount as “defective,” and even the retailer might be able to receive some form of compensation from the manufacturer I would want to believe.

That’s the ugly reality of the hobby.
The problem is that the manufacturer gives not much to if anything of a credit or a discount to retailers. We have fought tooth and nail with multiple manufacturers for much more than a detached wing or engine. Bent or broken beyond repair landing gear, major obvious defects. We are lucky to get pennys on the $ for any type of credit. So retailers get stuck in a manner of speaking between the customer and manufacturer. But communication is key between the customer and retailer. If a retailer seemingly just ignores or has a long lag in responding that’s just poor customer service and they should reevaluate what they are doing. We strongly believe if you take on the role of a retailer and representative of these models, then at least do due diligence and respond. Whether it’s a minor imperfection, a major flaw, or a customer not quite understanding the store’s policy on acceptable, or not acceptable models. If this is just a hobby business, which it is for some, then state it as such and explain that responses may be delayed and resolution may not be possible right away.

The problem is that the manufacturer gives not much to if anything of a credit or a discount to retailers. We have fought tooth and nail with multiple manufacturers for much more than a detached wing or engine. Bent or broken beyond repair landing gear, major obvious defects. We are lucky to get pennys on the $ for any type of credit. So retailers get stuck in a manner of speaking between the customer and manufacturer.

I was afraid that it might be the case of not getting much of anything from the manufacturers once the models have left the factory.

For anyone thinking that we as customers get screwed when we receive poor, or damaged models, think about all the retailers that get stuck with a full inventory of them.

Being a reasonable customer goes a long way in this hobby.

But communication is key between the customer and retailer. If a retailer seemingly just ignores or has a long lag in responding that’s just poor customer service and they should reevaluate what they are doing. We strongly believe if you take on the role of a retailer and representative of these models, then at least do due diligence and respond. Whether it’s a minor imperfection, a major flaw, or a customer not quite understanding the store’s policy on acceptable, or not acceptable models. If this is just a hobby business, which it is for some, then state it as such and explain that responses may be delayed and resolution may not be possible right away.

To be fair, Nick sends many emails explaining what's going on in his life and why responses and shipments may be taking so long, etc. He will be in Kansas in a couple of days too for anyone wanting to talk to him.

For anyone thinking that we as customers get screwed when we receive poor, or damaged models, think about all the retailers that get stuck with a full inventory of them.
But what's happening with this inventory? I've contacted retailers asking for exactly this un-sellable stock that I could have a use for. The answer was they didn't have any or are not selling them.

But what's happening with this inventory? I've contacted retailers asking for exactly this un-sellable stock that I could have a use for. The answer was they didn't have any or are not selling them.

Waffle has a scratch and dent section on his site. The rest I think somehow find their way into impercipient collectors' hands. I for one have plenty of lemons sitting on my shelves.

We sell what we deem as unrepairable, or beyond what a collector deems acceptable ,in our retail store at a heavy discount to at least recoup something. Our younger customers and parents are super ok with it as they are getting a significant discount and more palettable if a youngster wants to actually play with them.

The problem is that the manufacturer gives not much to if anything of a credit or a discount to retailers. We have fought tooth and nail with multiple manufacturers for much more than a detached wing or engine. Bent or broken beyond repair landing gear, major obvious defects. We are lucky to get pennys on the $ for any type of credit. So retailers get stuck in a manner of speaking between the customer and manufacturer. But communication is key between the customer and retailer. If a retailer seemingly just ignores or has a long lag in responding that’s just poor customer service and they should reevaluate what they are doing. We strongly believe if you take on the role of a retailer and representative of these models, then at least do due diligence and respond. Whether it’s a minor imperfection, a major flaw, or a customer not quite understanding the store’s policy on acceptable, or not acceptable models. If this is just a hobby business, which it is for some, then state it as such and explain that responses may be delayed and resolution may not be possible right away.
Agreed. If orders can't be fulfilled or if there are issues with an order, this needs to be communicated, instead of leading the customer on and on.

I have also experienced extremely long lag times with purchases from this store without communication. What attracted me was the 15% off discounts plus free shipping for spending minimums. I was not aware that such a rewards program existed, but all of these deals collectively seem almost too good to be true for a business to run profitably. To the OP, I'm sorry about your current situation. It seems like the program is a marketing gimmick. Personally I have shifted my purchases to other retailers that are more reliable. @Unboxing Aviation mentioned PandaFox Toys and Diecast Airplane Store, two stores which I have always had smooth experiences with. Yes, I have received models with defects from time to time, but a solution was always found, and the time to resolution was always reasonably fast. Jetcollecter has also been great.

That’s a different issue, defective models leave the factories all the time. They still have to be sold. We can always return a model to the retailer, but in many cases the retailer will still try to sell the model again to someone who would not notice/not care about whatever is wrong with it.

I’m thinking stuff like when GJ messes up the cockpit windows, or Aeroclassics come with wavy wings, etc. That’s just how those models are, and as long as enough of us put up with it, things won’t change.

When NG forgets to print the titles on one side of the model, etc. Then things might be different. The model is likely to be re-sold at a discount as “defective,” and even the retailer might be able to receive some form of compensation from the manufacturer I would want to believe.

That’s the ugly reality of the hobby.
I should’ve mentioned that this isn’t a new in stock model, it’s simply an older Gemini model in which had paint smears and such which couldn’t have been easily just shipping. Keep in mind these models were NOT listed as defective. That’s my main issue.

I've been told by several retailers that bad inventory is sent back to the manufacturers for replacements

Update:

Model was selected last Wednesday, was promised to ship the following day. As of today, a Monday, the tracking status still shows "shipping label printed, USPS awaits item." Texan keeps (falsely?) reassuring that the model has been shipped and that the delays are due to weather, however, per a USPS representative, the aforementioned status simply means that a label has been printed but that the package has not yet been delivered to USPS. Otherwise, the status would say something along the lines of "USPS in possession of item" or "package accepted." Another interesting thing noted was that after the new model was selected, the in-stock quantity never changed and still showed 2.

Perhaps another 2 weeks will elapse before the newly selected model is now out of stock, and another selection is offered, only for this cycle to repeat itself?

I have a friend who’s had trouble getting an order shipped out since Black Friday. Still hasn’t been sent out so I wouldn’t necessarily trust his online storefront.
This is contrary to what Texan states about having fulfilled all delayed orders. Yeah...after hearing about this experience, I would not necessarily trust his storefront either.

I've been told by several retailers that bad inventory is sent back to the manufacturers for replacements
They typically tell us to keep them and they give some sort of credit. Shipping back to China or even Gemini in Vegas has never been offered or discussed, as just the shipping cost would outweigh the actual cost. We typically send pics of the damaged product and then they issue credit on our next invoice.

I should’ve mentioned that this isn’t a new in stock model, it’s simply an older Gemini model in which had paint smears and such which couldn’t have been easily just shipping. Keep in mind these models were NOT listed as defective. That’s my main issue.

That changes things. Definitely sounds like Nick might be struggling to keep orders and inventory straight, and a vicious cycle might be developing. I hope he manages to pull through, everyone gets a proper resolution and the store can make it through.

My last few orders have been in person at the Houston show so no issues with damaged or unshipped models.

That changes things. Definitely sounds like Nick might be struggling to keep orders and inventory straight, and a vicious cycle might be developing. I hope he manages to pull through, everyone gets a proper resolution and the store can make it through.

My last few orders have been in person at the Houston show so no issues with damaged or unshipped models.
Yeah that’s my fault for not explaining it further, my apologies on that. On the other hand in no way am I upset with Texan, it’s not an issue anymore and I can understand what’s going on and really hope he can pull through. I still got my N374DA (GJ) from him and still am very happy with it!