2023 Review: Your Model of the Year

quanng

Hi fellow MAF members,

As 10 days have passed for December, I think it is a good time to review 2023 for our 1:400 model world. This year witnesses many new releases, the resurgence of old moulds, the appearance of new moulds and sub-brands, and so on! So my questions to all MAF members here:

- What is the best 1:400 release in this year in your opinion?

- What is the best model you purchased this year? It can either be 2023 release or old releases!

I am eager to hear your sharing! Actually I am still thinking of my answers to those above-mentioned questions!

Last edited:
Best release of year: easy one it's the AC December releases with the EL AL 742 trio.
Best purchase of the year: in April I bought the entrie AC EL AL 742 set of 6 for 50 USD each

I only buy models if I really like them, which is pretty much limited to Aeroclassics:

Aeroclassics Swissair DC-10 (March 2023)
Great classic scheme on a great mould with no QC issues.

Aeroclassics Canadian Pacific C-46 (March 2023)
I don't really have anything with CP or the C-46, but the combo just screams vintage, which I love.

Aeroclassics Trans Canada Airlines L-1049 (2004, Hangar Club #1, card #1)
Lucky catch as I bought it for an average retail price.

Retro Models Alitalia/CSA TU-104 (2022)
Underrated mould, Aeroflot scheme would be even better.

I also got an article coming up where I review all releases from the 5 main manufacturers based on diversity. Just waiting for NG and GJ.

These days I only buy NG, as everyone else is substandard in my eyes. Their incompatibility with my criteria also means the list of candidates is tiny. That being said...

Best release is HL8515. This one's a no-brainer, it's NG's first modern KAL widebody.
1702221582551.png

Best purchase would be VR-HHK. Normally it's modern>>>classic for me, but this edges out HL8515 because of the latter's incorrectly-colored wifi dome.
1702221588870.png

The release that personally made me happier in 2023 was the Cubana TU-154B-2 in the 1990s colors released by Phoenix. I know it is not going to go for overall model of the year because the subject is not all that globally appealing, and the mold does receive a lot of criticism when contrasted with the NG offering. But I am quite satisfied with both, its execution and the nostalgic value it has for me.

Other ones that stand out include Pan Am L1011-500 by NG, AA 777-200 (old c/s) by NG, Federal Express 727-200 (purple top) by Aerroclassics, and AA 767-300 no winglets (old c/s) by Phoenix.

Many of the 747-100 and -200 released were nice and exciting, but I think we all know they failed to be 100% satisfying for one reason or another.

As far as old finds during 2023 there was the BOAC Super VC-10 by GeminiJets, Aerolineas Argentinas 707-300 (standard 1980s livery) by Aeroclassics, and British Airways Concorde (Landor c/s) by Herpa. All for reasonable prices. If I had to pick, I'd choose Concorde.

DSC_2357.png

DSC_2040.jpg

So for me, I only purchased 6 new models this year(One of which has still yet to arrive), most of them being older releases.

For the best release of 2023, I would like to say it was the Saudia L-1011 HZ-AHI from NG for me. Despite the issues with the aerials and TriStar title printing, it was the only new model that was released this year that had me truly excited like a child. Sadly this is also the one that I haven't received yet.

For the best purchase of 2023, I'd like to split it between my JC Wings Saudia 777-300ER HZ-AK28 and my NG Norwegian UK 787-9 G-CKWD. Both models are made on one of the, if not the best moulds for their respective aircraft types and have really good printing with no flaws. Both are lovely models of aircraft I have wanted, especially the Norwegian.
Honorable mention for the Aeroclassics PIA 707 AP-AZW for the subject matter but it as a model didn't compare to these two in my eyes.

IMG_20230508_010039_510.jpg20231210_121441.jpg

This year has been great, and I really look forward to next year, considering we might see a bunch of holy grails released on great moulds!

Best release of 2023: the TWA MD-80 Twin Stripes. It's rare for me to react excessively to a model release when I see them but this one got me right in the feels.
DSC01458.JPG

Best purchase of 2023 one ups the MD-80 with a DC-9 of the same airline and livery. I'd been hunting one down for numerous months up until May of this year when one finally popped up on eBay for a very affordable price.
DSC01457.JPG

I'll third the choice of the Cathay Tristar from NG, as both my favorite 2023 release and 2023 purchase.

20231210_135745.jpg

There wasn't really an obvious winner for me this year like there was last year with the NG Delta Tristar. So it does feel a little cliché to pick another NG Tristar, but what can I say. NG's Tristars are just that good. For me this was the best combination of an iconic livery, iconic aircraft, and best-in-class mold.

A few other honorable mentions I'll throw out for my favorite 2023 purchases:
-TWA MD-80 (Twin stripe) N9303K from Gemini
-United 747-400 (Saul Bass) N183UA from JC Wings
-American 777-200 (chrome livery) N795AN from NG
-Southwest 737-MAX8 (Canyon Blue retro) N872CB from NG

Last edited:
It’s been a long year, so I have multiple candidates:

1. Delta A330-900neo “Team USA” - Gemini Jets
This model is perfect in so many ways, sadly it was a very niche model only being sold on the Delta Team USA website, but was also cheap. I believe it was released around April 2023, but can’t confirm. Definitely one of my favorites.image.jpg
2. Delta Connection Embraer 175 - Gemini Jets
This model was very much needed in 1:400, and Gemini certainly delivered. Only main drawback is the short nose gear, but what else can I say?image.jpg
3. Lufthansa A340-300 New Livery - Phoenix Model
Another fantastic aircraft on Phoenix’s fantastic A340 mold, very good aircraft, but not much to say about it. I like how Phoenix uses metallic color for landing gear instead of plain grey like everyone else.image.jpg

That’s all from me for now, I haven’t got too many new releases from this year, but that may change after Christmas, I guess I’ll find out soon!

There wasn't really an obvious winner for me this year like there was last year with the NG Delta Tristar. So it does feel a little cliché to pick another NG Tristar, but what can I say. NG's Tristars just that good. For me this was the best combination of an iconic livery, iconic aircraft, and best-in-class mold.
My thoughts exactly. The Cathay is an absolutely great release and well deserves model of the year.
But I go with NG's primer colored 747-8F this year. For the mould, less the livery.
n863gt2 by Alexander Kern, auf Flickr

… I know I won’t find many people agreeing with me but I go much more for paint / finish over mold - hence my top 3 are:
- Phoenix BA 747 Landor G-AWNP
- Phoenix Delta MD11 widget (this despite owning the GJ version already)
- and most importantly - can’t wait to hold this in my hands…IMG_5402.png

Last edited:
… I know I won’t find many people agreeing with me but I go much more for paint / finish over mold - hence my top 3 are:
- Phoenix BA 747 Landor G-AWNP
- Phoenix Delta MD11 widget (this despite owning the GJ version already)
- and most importantly - can’t wait to hold this in my hands…View attachment 25081

This thread is about your model of the year, so who cares if anybody else agrees? :) Phoenix released a lot of nice models in 2023. There are plenty of models in this thread that are far from being examples of fine craftsmanship, still, they made many collectors happy.

1. Delta A330-900neo “Team USA” - Gemini Jets
This model is perfect in so many ways, sadly it was a very niche model only being sold on the Delta Team USA website, but was also cheap. I believe it was released around April 2023, but can’t confirm. Definitely one of my favorites.
Nice model indeed. Some were for sale at waffle collectibles too where I got my one from. And indeed it was a very cheap model 😉