2017 GJ exclusive ORBIS Flying Eye Hospital McDonnell Douglas MD-10-30F N330AU “current scheme” GJORB1880

quanng

I would like to share a new model in my collection - ORBIS Flying Eye Hospital McDonnell Douglas MD-10-30F N330AU “current scheme” by GeminiJets, which is made exclusive for the organization. There is also a 1:200 from GeminiJets as well, which I was told about but yet to see the photos of it online. I have only seen this exact model twice on the internet: one UK collector presumably bought from Pandafox Toys, which had an eye-watering price tag; another got through donating and visiting the aircraft during display at an airshow. I got mine through a second hand seller and it was priced a big higher than what I usually pay for other models. Nonetheless, it is such an interesting model in my collection. For the first part, I would like to share some photos under normal sunlight.

A port view from the front. This model does not feature any antennas but that is fine for a classic.
IMG_1357.jpeg

A port view from the back. This aircraft went through a process which I called a “reverse conversion” - a converted freighter is converted back into passenger config with windows by unplugging the window plug. Note that the cargo door is still present on the model and the real machine. The Russian had a much more “wild” reverse conversion where they add windows to a freighter-built frame and make it a VIP transporter - the case with the IL96-400 And hopefully be released soon in 1:400.
IMG_1359.jpeg
Starboard side from the front. There aren’t many windows on this side.
IMG_1363.jpeg
A macro shot at the aircraft’s donor. The aircraft is flown by voluntary Fedex pilots.
IMG_1374.jpeg
An engine closeup - the CF6-50C2 powers this trijet. The shape is well represented. This mould needs to be used more!
IMG_1375.jpeg

Lastly, underbelly details. No GJ logo is printed on.
IMG_1373.jpeg

Last edited:
Very cool model! Gemini indeed could bring this mould back!
Thank you so much Leo! I actually wish (for many tines) that another brand could release this aircraft since this model is extremely hard to grab. But after years of asking but having received nothing, I stopped to do so. Another MD-10 subject that I would like to see in the model world is the TAB Cargo from Venezuela. And I just uploaded more photos to the post, please check them out!

Lovely photos and lovely model! IMO, GJ/JC's take on the DC-10 is the best in this scale, even better than AC's in certain aspects. Quite a shame that it ain't been utilized more after the 2010s.
In my perspective, the only downside for this model is its cradle wing construction. However the other details are greatly represented. And it is truly a shame that both GJ and JC don’t put this nice mould into use, given that there are so many subjects to cover. GJ could have rereleased a Fedex MD-10F before their retirement last year. And as mentioned with Leo, an active duty freighter of South America is missed.

Another MD-10 subject that I would like to see in the model world is the TAB Cargo from Venezuela. And I just uploaded more photos to the post, please check them out!

TAB Cargo would be super nice indeed... and also the upcoming CargoThree, sucessor to Transcarga Venezuela.

Last edited: