2018 HERPA exclusive Lufthansa B747-8 D-ABYA "new c/s" promotional model

quanng

Today, I would like to share a closer look of the now current standard scheme Lufthansa Boeing 747-8 D-ABYA, marketed under Herpa Wings, using their long-standing partner's mould - JC Wings.

The box, which I photographed on the Latest Arrival thread, is very sturdy and heavy. The premium feel that you don't get with any 1:400 releases these days - very thick and hard foams like the older Herpa LH diecast product packed inside a magnetic opening flap box, which protects the model really really well. But that added up on the international shipping cost for me.

What is special about some Herpa's 1:400 release is the provided stand that has a left tilt setting. In this case it is cast out of shiny metal, which adds value to this model. However, this stand hole is different to other regular Herpa products, which is shaped round like other 1:400 models and not trapezoidal like my CX B744. Here is the model on the stand during early sunrise.IMG_20240308_195737.jpg
IMG_20240308_195735.jpg
IMG_20240308_195734.jpg

Now, to the model details. A port side view from the front with a landing aircraft (iirc VN B789 from Perth)
IMG_20240308_195725.jpg
Still on the port side.
IMG_20240308_195724.jpg
View from the back with another aircraft landing. Color is represented per airlines' code.
IMG_20240308_195733.jpg
Starboard side from the rear. Look at those upward curved wings, which is suitable to be displayed on stand for landing config. It is a bit higher than my liking.
IMG_20240308_195729.jpg
Yet another starboard view.
IMG_20240308_195730.jpg
And finish off with a face to face.
IMG_20240308_195727.jpg

So that's all for today. I hope that you all enjoy these photos. Should you want more angles, please don't hesitate to tell me. A short comparison with the GJ version is coming soon

Very nice looking. I like the pretty spot on looking artwork/colors. And that sunrise.

D-ABYA however does not represent LH's current standard scheme. Soon after YA's rollout (in bad weather) this livery was updated to a brighter blue. Only very few other airframes had already booked their paintshop slots and got painted up in these colors, plus I think 4 A350 and 4 A320Neos that were on the production lines at that time.

Very nice looking. I like the pretty spot on looking artwork/colors. And that sunrise.

D-ABYA however does not represent LH's current standard scheme. Soon after YA's rollout (in bad weather) this livery was updated to a brighter blue. Only very few other airframes had already booked their paintshop slots and got painted up in these colors, plus I think 4 A350 and 4 A320Neos that were on the production lines at that time.
Thank you very much for your compliment. By seeing that only 2 B748s being repainted into the new livery, I guess it will take quite sometimes for the fleet to be updated to the new scheme. Iirc the lighter scheme can be found on the B744. Does LH have more than 2 shades of blue for their livery at the moment? Eager to be in FRA soon and have a look at these aircraft!

Beautiful model. But I still deeply dislike this livery :ROFLMAO: If only Lufthansa could say this new livery was just an April Fool's Joke, and could go back to their former colors!
I wholly agree with you Leo. The aircraft color is so cold and bland. Man I wish they still keep a sizable area with yellow, not just those small pads at the main doors...

Thank you very much for your compliment. By seeing that only 2 B748s being repainted into the new livery, I guess it will take quite sometimes for the fleet to be updated to the new scheme. Iirc the lighter scheme can be found on the B744. Does LH have more than 2 shades of blue for their livery at the moment? Eager to be in FRA soon and have a look at these aircraft!

I wholly agree with you Leo. The aircraft color is so cold and bland. Man I wish they still keep a sizable area with yellow, not just those small pads at the main doors...

The four mentioned 350s (D-AIXI to XL) withstanding, YA is the only widebody in the fleet with the dark blue color.
The difference is not just the color, but also a slightly updated tail logo for example. Compared to YA's 2018 livery, YC has the larger logo with a bolder circle.
There's currently four different shades of blue in the fleet.
The "old" (pre-2017) colors, 2018 colors and current colors, plus retro YT in 1970's blue. The fifth shade (1960's on retro A321 D-AIDV) left the fleet late 2022.

Lovely model. Thanks for sharing these pictures @quanng . Love the tilt on the stand. I tend to do that with any model I mount on the regular stands - rotate it off axis such that it gets that sideways bank.

On another note, what a disaster of a livery upgrade (and rollout). How could this pass through so many filters? Can't believe this is the result of intense deliberation.
The lighter current blue - is definitely better - but I just don't get why they got rid of the yellow. Curious to read transcripts of their deliberations during the design process

The four mentioned 350s (D-AIXI to XL) withstanding, YA is the only widebody in the fleet with the dark blue color.
The difference is not just the color, but also a slightly updated tail logo for example. Compared to YA's 2018 livery, YC has the larger logo with a bolder circle.
There's currently four different shades of blue in the fleet.
The "old" (pre-2017) colors, 2018 colors and current colors, plus retro YT in 1970's blue. The fifth shade (1960's on retro A321 D-AIDV) left the fleet late 2022.
Initially I intend to only compare the front section of YC and YA altogether. I will also include a tail comparison as well! Thank you for giving me a deeper insight of this situation.

Lovely model. Thanks for sharing these pictures @quanng . Love the tilt on the stand. I tend to do that with any model I mount on the regular stands - rotate it off axis such that it gets that sideways bank.

On another note, what a disaster of a livery upgrade (and rollout). How could this pass through so many filters? Can't believe this is the result of intense deliberation.
The lighter current blue - is definitely better - but I just don't get why they got rid of the yellow. Curious to read transcripts of their deliberations during the design process
Your welcome!

I also really like offsetting my models on regular black plastic stand to have the effect. However, I don't do it (unless the beacon jewel gets in the way like AV400 77Ws) so as not to stress the stand.

Regarding the new livery, "environmental concern" comes to my mind. The new livery is lighter, hence less fuel is concerned, better in the economic aspect.

but I just don't get why they got rid of the yellow.

"Yellow isn't premium"
...and is more associated with sun (leissure/holidays) - just look at the old Condor livery.

The yellow "welcome panel" is another good way to tell 2018 and current cs apart. The 2018's design had it on the 1L door only. The update added it to all doors used for regular boarding.

The sad thing is, Lufthansa isn't premium anymore (thanks to Spohr). United is the much better choice from FRA/MUC to the US west coast. It used to be the other way round.

Today, I would like to share a closer look of the now current standard scheme Lufthansa Boeing 747-8 D-ABYA, marketed under Herpa Wings, using their long-standing partner's mould - JC Wings.

The box, which I photographed on the Latest Arrival thread, is very sturdy and heavy. The premium feel that you don't get with any 1:400 releases these days - very thick and hard foams like the older Herpa LH diecast product packed inside a magnetic opening flap box, which protects the model really really well. But that added up on the international shipping cost for me.

What is special about some Herpa's 1:400 release is the provided stand that has a left tilt setting. In this case it is cast out of shiny metal, which adds value to this model. However, this stand hole is different to other regular Herpa products, which is shaped round like other 1:400 models and not trapezoidal like my CX B744. Here is the model on the stand during early sunrise.View attachment 28042
View attachment 28043
View attachment 28044

Now, to the model details. A port side view from the front with a landing aircraft (iirc VN B789 from Perth)
View attachment 28049
Still on the port side.
View attachment 28050
View from the back with another aircraft landing. Color is represented per airlines' code.
View attachment 28045
Starboard side from the rear. Look at those upward curved wings, which is suitable to be displayed on stand for landing config. It is a bit higher than my liking.
View attachment 28047
Yet another starboard view.
View attachment 28046
And finish off with a face to face.
View attachment 28048

So that's all for today. I hope that you all enjoy these photos. Should you want more angles, please don't hesitate to tell me. A short comparison with the GJ version is coming soon
This doesn't seem to have any glaring QC issues as the Herpa CX 744 (or most JC regular releases), which is a good thing. I wish Herpa would go back to making their own premium stuff in Germany, but that ship has probably sailed...

This doesn't seem to have any glaring QC issues as the Herpa CX 744 (or most JC regular releases), which is a good thing. I wish Herpa would go back to making their own premium stuff in Germany, but that ship has probably sailed...
It is nice to receive a model without any QC problems from JC factory! However, my LH B748 by GJ starts having bubbles, which is kinda odd. I would say for 1:400 scale, Herpa is not that premium as their models lack many details (even this exclusive one)!

The sad thing is, Lufthansa isn't premium anymore (thanks to Spohr). United is the much better choice from FRA/MUC to the US west coast. It used to be the other way round.

I have not flown on Lufthansa, though I would like to. I fly a lot on United though. One time I had the the opportunity to fly ANA NRT-IAH (A route that I have flown a few times on UA) and I was expecting a new level. I was disappointed. To me, they were about the same. Of course, I have a limited sample.

A good friend of mine loves Lufthansa though, and says he will always take them over United. He has two German last names (not a German national) so I think there is some bias there lol. He has bought diecast models on board Lufthansa airplanes. That alone gives Lufthansa many points over United 😅

He has bought diecast models on board Lufthansa airplanes. That alone gives Lufthansa many points over United 😅
I just like to have the feeling of purchase a real aircraft model (and not a Daron jet with “scale” being part of the product description) on board. I remember years ago in my childhood, SQ and TG has their 1:500 sold inflight. SQ also had a Megatop 1:400 available as well. I have it but because of young age I wasn’t able to handle it properly :(. Today, not many airlines offer this service. From my recent search, China Airlines has A321neo model on sale, made by their long time contractor Risesoon on a completely new mould. The model has a really nice metalic stand with half-sphere globe as the base. I actually planned to get that model on my journey to Germany with them. In the end I booked on Turkmenistan Airlines.

I just like to have the feeling of purchase a real aircraft model (and not a Daron jet with “scale” being part of the product description) on board. I remember years ago in my childhood, SQ and TG has their 1:500 sold inflight. SQ also had a Megatop 1:400 available as well. I have it but because of young age I wasn’t able to handle it properly :(. Today, not many airlines offer this service. From my recent search, China Airlines has A321neo model on sale, made by their long time contractor Risesoon on a completely new mould. The model has a really nice metalic stand with half-sphere globe as the base. I actually planned to get that model on my journey to Germany with them. In the end I booked on Turkmenistan Airlines.
That brings back childhood memories. In the late 2000s~early 2010s quite a few airlines sold models onboard. Garuda had Dragons, Singapore and Qantas had Hogans etc. My first model was an SQ 9V-SKA by Hogan, so I still have a soft spot for Hogans despite their simplicity.

Good times!

Last edited: