Yu ModeL New Airbus A300 First Look

I'm very curious to see how they turn out given how different those three airframes are.

Are you referring to the wing fences and ADF antenna? Is there also a minor length difference between the Lufthansa one and the other two?

Fantastic to see some progress. I'll be grabbing a Lufthansa and Ai Niugini - assuming the mould ends up being worth the expense. Happy to exercise some patience, despite my enthusiasm.

My fingers are crossed this is the first of many; Kuwait Airways, EgyptAir, Dan-Air, Olympic, Saudia, Air Afrique, Luxair - too many to choose from!

Are you referring to the wing fences and ADF antenna? Is there also a minor length difference between the Lufthansa one and the other two?
There's no difference between a B2 and B4 but there is between the Bs and the 600, albeit minimal. The big difference is that the 600 uses the A310 rear fuselage:

52906-87ef5d5410b5b228afafd87e25026ddd.jpg

Knowing Phantom's level of perfection I can almost guarantee these won't satisfy him!

While I am reasonably certain that these will be good moulds Yu ModeL is a small company and the owner is in his 20s. This isn't NG Models or JC Wings!

Last edited:
I'm just curious about the level of detail/accuracy, but I don't expect much if any given Richards report.

The main difference between this B2 and the B4-200 is the turbine reverser on the B2's engines while this was abandoned on the later engines. Funny enough AC nicely worked out this difference on their DC-10 but missed it on their A300s - note that A300 and DC-10 have the same powerplants.
Besides this noteworthy difference, there would also be three different main gear sizes (wheelbases) with the B2 having the smallest and the B4 having larger ones or even the Mod.2204 bogie - nothing to be concerned about in 1/400 though.

The B..-600 variants are totally different animals.
Different aft fuselage (A310), pylons, engines, missing low speed ailerons, LE-fences and antenna box. Add wingtip fences for the R.

I'm just curious about the level of detail/accuracy, but I don't expect much if any given Richards report.

The main difference between this B2 and the B4-200 is the turbine reverser on the B2's engines while this was abandoned on the later engines. Funny enough AC nicely worked out this difference on their DC-10 but missed it on their A300s - note that A300 and DC-10 have the same powerplants.
Besides this noteworthy difference, there would also be three different main gear sizes (wheelbases) with the B2 having the smallest and the B4 having larger ones or even the Mod.2204 bogie - nothing to be concerned about in 1/400 though.

The B..-600 variants are totally different animals.
Different aft fuselage (A310), pylons, engines, missing low speed ailerons, LE-fences and antenna box. Add wingtip fences for the R.

Ok, so here is a B2-1C

1721098872228.png

And a B4-200

1721099071990.png

I see the B2-1C has a longer exhaust, which I assume is the different reverser used then (hot section reverser?)

And just for the sake of it, let us look at a -600

1721099844968.png

Now models:

A300B4-200:

DSC_0228_2.jpg

A300-600R:

DSC_0402.jpg

Okay, so Aeroclassics seems to have gotten the wings and pylons correct. The fuselage is the same, minus the ADF antenna fairing on top. The differences in real life are quite subtle though.

Well, I learned a lot about A300s today. In real life I have only seen the -600s...

I doubt we will get a superb level of detail from YU though. In fact, I thought it was a weird choice of mold to go for. The guy is all over the Aeroclassics mold catalog, but he has been frustrated with some QC issues. The A300 mold is pretty good. If I had to take a wild guess, I'd say YU only wants a slot-in wing A300, and not much more than that.

... Yu ModeL is a small company and the owner is in his 20s...

He must be one of those kids I have seen show up in a Lamborghini at the Shenzhen Mariott. It's all coming together now...

This isn't NG Models or JC Wings!

I'll give you a pass with NG because they make some decent 75s, L1011s, and a handful of other stuff, but JC?!? The same brand that recently dusted off the BlueBox A300 mold??

Last edited:
I‘ve always found the front section of the Aeroclassics A300 clumsy, especially compared to their A310. The front sections should be identical. So let‘s see if a new mould will fix this.

He must be one of those kids I have seen show up in a Lamborghini at the Shenzhen Mariott. It's all coming together now...

I'll give you a pass with NG because they make some decent 75s, L1011s, and a handful of other stuff, but JC?!? The same brand that recently dusted off the BlueBox A300 mold??
I meant he hasn't got the funding that they have to make hugely expensive moulds or hundreds of releases. Wasn't talking about the quality

Technically that was Gemini not JC also

I see the B2-1C has a longer exhaust, which I assume is the different reverser used then (hot section reverser?)
Yes, the hot section (turbine) reverser is typical for early built airframes of both A300B.. and DC-10-30. AFAIK it was often deactivated (rather useless on a high-bypass) and by roundabout 1976 replaced with the new fixed cone on new deliveries. It's however not sub-variant specific.

I appreciate this may be a peculiar question, but how much does it typically cost to develop a mould and start small scale production? I appreciate the variables costs once you are in production would be largely unit driven, however, I’d be interested to know what the set up and development costs are?

I once read that the cost of developing a new mould from scratch is a 5 digit number. Maybe 10k-20k or something, but not sure if this is anywhere near the truth.

Any updates on these? It has been a while and haven't seen any other retailer stocking them.