What should I get?

Jazz359YT

So I have $200 dollars and a fairly large model airport. I’m not really lacking in aircraft but in aircraft variety. I’m younger than the legal age to get a job, so I can’t really get any more money. I need to spend it but just don’t know how. I have a few 1:400 scale aircraft but most are Daron aircraft. I got some new GSE but not enough. I have zero clue what to get, I don’t need any ground foils, as I make my own, and I don’t really need an actual terminal. Should I invest in more GSE or more aircraft? What aircraft should I get if so? It’s all so confusing. Please help me decide.

Try selling your Darons to have some extra cash.
It's hard to see if you need more GSE or not, because we still didn't see your diorama. However, since you told us it's fairly large, I guess you'll need some more GSE.

Would be good to determine a region for your airport, so you can have a collection criteria.
Which means that, if your airport is based in the US, you'll need domestic aircraft from the United States.

I recommend to first decide what you want to collect, otherwise you may regret your expensive purchase shortly after. Think about modern or retro aircraft? A real or fictional airport? Visit a physical store if you can and see which kind of models attract you the most. Don't worry too much about making wrong decisions, we all did it when we started.
In the first 5 years of collecting I sold my entire collection 3 times, because my criteria changed.

100% agree with Mark. When I started collecting I began with nice liveries. However that caused some impulsive buying.

So figure out what you want to collect first and what type of planes spark your interest. Then continue spending money.

If you really don't know what to do with it, I know a very good cause 😉

Try selling your Darons to have some extra cash.
It's hard to see if you need more GSE or not, because we still didn't see your diorama. However, since you told us it's fairly large, I guess you'll need some more GSE.

Would be good to determine a region for your airport, so you can have a collection criteria.
Which means that, if your airport is based in the US, you'll need domestic aircraft from the United States.
I sort of determined a region for my airport, it’s Vancouver, Canada. I’m not sure if my mom would let me, but I have a good amount of other things that are a good value so I’ll see. Thanks!

I recommend to first decide what you want to collect, otherwise you may regret your expensive purchase shortly after. Think about modern or retro aircraft? A real or fictional airport? Visit a physical store if you can and see which kind of models attract you the most. Don't worry too much about making wrong decisions, we all did it when we started.
In the first 5 years of collecting I sold my entire collection 3 times, because my criteria changed.
I never really thought of that! Thanks!!

This x1000. When I first started, I tried getting my hands on anything and everything. That was a big mistake. I thought I wanted the ME3, then realized I didn't. Then I thought I wanted jetBlue, then I didn't. You get the picture.

Damn, I remember when I was around your age and I started collecting, when I was around 12, the average Gemini model was approx. 30AUD, the average phoenix was slightly more expensive (40AUD), Dragon wings was approx 25-35, and Herpa a similar amount, would be crazy to be a younger person entering into the hobby with today's prices! Used to collect all scales but switched all to 1/400 within a year of starting. Don't take this as advice but I used to keep some of the lunch money my parents gave me for school to help fund my collecting, 🤣 $5 a day would equal around an extra model a week. Don't do this.
To save money, try purchase from a local shop to save on shipping, if there are non near you, try saving up for buying more than 1 model in one order to save on shipping, I see many shops have free shipping for orders above $250.
Keep saving.
Collect what you really want to see in real life, or something that you wish you could've seen but is now retired or painted over.

Last edited: