Using decals for modifying models

RLjb77

With the recent release of the Alitalia 747-200 I-DEMT I decided to add the missing SCD (side cargo door) since the aircraft in question is a COMBi model. I think it turned out alright! I may consider adding the EU flags to represent the early 90s livery.
I think I will be adding the SCD to a few Air Canada 747s released by Aeroclassics in the 2000s. Just gotta check the registrations to confirm they were COMBI aircraft!

Attachments

• IMG_5057.jpeg
    IMG_5057.jpeg
    99.6 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_5108.jpeg
    IMG_5108.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_5107.jpeg
    IMG_5107.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_5106.jpeg
    IMG_5106.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_5105.jpeg
    IMG_5105.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_5095.jpeg
    IMG_5095.jpeg
    217.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_5077.jpeg
    IMG_5077.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5076.jpeg
    IMG_5076.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_5075.jpeg
    IMG_5075.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 60
I wish AC would have done the job with just a tiny bit of overall attention so that you wouldn't have to do this.
I see you tried fixing the models erroneous window config for the SCD and also noticed the reg being in the wrong place.
Sadly, there are more things that would need a fix on this one like..
- adding a silver leading edge to the v.stab
- adding the 2nd upperdeck door (LH)
- painting the engine pylons silver
- repainting the wing leading edges to something that comes at least a bit closer to a 747
- adding outlines or better corogard to the h.stab
All of these could be doable fixes indeed.

Btw, how do you protect your SCD decal? Did you clearcoat the entire fuselage?

I wish AC would have done the job with just a tiny bit of overall attention so that you wouldn't have to do this.
I see you tried fixing the models erroneous window config for the SCD and also noticed the reg being in the wrong place.
Sadly, there are more things that would need a fix on this one like..
- adding a silver leading edge to the v.stab
- adding the 2nd upperdeck door (LH)
- painting the engine pylons silver
- repainting the wing leading edges to something that comes at least a bit closer to a 747
- adding outlines or better corogard to the h.stab
All of these could be doable fixes indeed.

Btw, how do you protect your SCD decal? Did you clearcoat the entire fuselage?
Yep I’ll be adding a decal for the left side exit door on the upper deck as well. Once decals are done I’ll do a clear coat! The wing issues don’t bother me as much as window/door configs but I agree AC should pay attention to the details.

Nice job. I heard the Varig 747 they released the last time they had blank BigBirds also needed a cargo door. Tons of models could use some decal help.

The Varig PP-VNB released recently also have a wrong "BOEING 747-200R" instead of "200B" (n)🧐