Swapping Model Registrations

pons399

We all want a model of that one special aircraft, but chances of the exact same rego getting made are slim. Getting a similar model and swapping out the rego would be cool... but this would require removing the tampo without screwing up the paint, and then pasting custom decals on top. I found a simple way to do the former:

Take a whiteboard marker and rub it over the tampo until it's gone. That'll leave some stains...
20240510_220429.jpg
20240510_220924.jpg

Which you can then scrub off using some toothpaste and a toothbrush. The result is a clean surface on which you can paste the new rego.
20240510_221232.jpg

I'll follow this up when my Panda SQ 359 arrives, whose rego I'll be changing from 9V-SGG to SHR.

Last edited:
Or you could just use a drop of acetone on a qtip and whipe this reg off. Done in 5secs
Or is there a reason why you chose this way? Which marker did you use?

Last edited:
Or you could just use a drop of acetone on a qtip and whipe this reg off. Done in 5secs
Or is there a reason why you chose this way? Which marker did you use?
I've heard acetone may eat away at the paint beneath. Didn't want to risk that. Marker was Expo.

I've heard acetone may eat away at the paint beneath. Didn't want to risk that. Marker was Expo.

You can find at least 2 different types of "paint" on such a model.
1. The tampo printing laquer for all the detailing
2. The base coating with which the metal parts are covered

The tampo can easily be solubilized and whiped off with a solvent like acetone etc... - the "stronger" the solvent, the faster the print comes off. But even a "mild" solvent like propanols (you may find such in markers) may do the job, just slower.

The base - which is applied in order to cover the blank metal for a smooth finish - however is usually a baking varnish, meaning it is applied using either spraying or dipping and then chemically hardened using heat.
Acetone etc. will not solubilize this base, consequently you can erase printed layers on top of it.
Solvents however soften and expand the base varnish (it will start to throw bubbles and then come off) when exposed for a longer time. So just avoid longer time exposing the base to solvents and you'll be ok.

There's however no real good way when you have several overlaying layers of tampo (like rego on cheatline)
You'll either kill all or none. Unless of course you take a sharp razor blade and shave the paint off layer by layer. But this isn't fun.

There's however no real good way when you have several overlaying layers of tampo (like rego on cheatline)
You'll either kill all or none. Unless of course you take a sharp razor blade and shave the paint off layer by layer. But this isn't fun.
That's new to me, might as well just keep it as is then.