Show Your Latest 1:400 Purchase

Very happy with these latest Phoenix models that have just landed home.

Regarding the Air India 747 : is it perfect ? Nope

Is it the horrible 747 model based on a supposedly horrible mould that some people are talking about? Not at all !

I feared the worst before it arrived and I have to say that it is a very worthy model and that it has surprised me for the better.

The LH A340-600, is close to perfection. View attachment 16927View attachment 16928
The classic 747 mold is not too bad, it’s the -400 that is terrible.

Yesterday I recieved my first Aeroclassics model as a start of a KLM retro collection. Now the search will continue for the DC-8-55/63 and a DC-10 even though they are hard to find.
View attachment 16871

There is also a GJ DC-10 PH-DTA, which might be easier to find and more affordable than the AC one. But it has a seam on the tail.

The classic 747 mold is not too bad, it’s the -400 that is terrible.

Ironically, the -400 is correct, but ugly, given that at least it has the right wing-fuselage fairing. The classic looks better, but it has the incorrect fairing. I will say it again, a pretty face can do wonders... Not that the PH742 face is particularly beautiful, but it is not ugly for sure, especially when they put the cockpit windows where they belong.

I was considering getting the recent Phoenix BA Landor 744 to use in a diorama, as I rather not manipulate my GJ G-CIVI too much, but it is gone from Waffle, EZ and Jetcolector! I guess a pretty dress can make up for an ugly face? :LOL:

Edit: just noticed it is still available on EZ and Jetcollector.

Last edited:
There is also a GJ DC-10 PH-DTA, which might be easier to find and more affordable than the AC one. But it has a seam on the tail.

Ironically, the -400 is correct, but ugly, given that at least it has the right wing-fuselage fairing. The classic looks better, but it has the incorrect fairing. I will say it again, a pretty face can do wonders... Not that the PH742 face is particularly beautiful, but it is not ugly for sure, especially when they put the cockpit windows where they belong.

I was considering getting the recent Phoenix BA Landor 744 to use in a diorama, as I rather not manipulate my GJ G-CIVI too much, but it is gone from Waffle, EZ and Jetcolector! I guess a pretty dress can make up for an ugly face? :LOL:
Good printing does a lot for any model. Take Aeroclassics, they released an retro Gulf Air A321neo a while back and I got the chance to see it in person. I noticed the fact that the printing was off and keeping in line with other Aeroclassics releases, it was simple. It sits on one of the better(if not one of the best) A321 moulds that we have in this scale but the fact that the livery was off stuck with me to the point I didn't get it and instead, opted to wait for the JC Wings release to see if they did it better despite having a "worse" mould. Having a pretty face while wearing a poor dress offsets me more than an ugly face with a pretty dress.

These Phoenix 747's indeed do wear pretty dresses, and that does steer away from the fact the mould is so poor and at the end of the day, it's not like we've got any pretty faces in pretty dresses to choose from right now.

Another couple of customs, both based on Dragon Wings 767-300 donors and with V1 Decal packs.

Aeronexus 767-300, ZS-NEX in 2017 Guns n' Roses tour livery. And FlyGlobespan 767-300, G-CEOD in standard livery.

Attachments

• IMG_20230605_080658_MP~2.jpg
    IMG_20230605_080658_MP~2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20230605_080738_MP~2.jpg
    IMG_20230605_080738_MP~2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
I have to admit I am indecisive on that choice. I still don't know if the seam on the tail is a dealbreaker for me or not compared to how hard it is to find the AC one.

My latest arrival is a 1:400 3d-printed AN-71 AWACS, I got it from Chinese 2nd hand website Xianyu
It is a beautiful yet tiny plane, I put it next to the Panda TU-134 for comparison

Now this is a very cool model! The Soviets had the most exotic looking military aircraft during the Cold War.

They are acceptable to me. Don’t think you’ll ever get the ‘perfect’ mould from anyone, there will always be a problem or flaw somewhere

Thanks for the photos!

I’m glad I ignored the haters and picked up one of the Phoenix BA 747’s. It looks great.

I got this one and the -100, I'm also happy with them.

I think THIS is the point. It's about enjoying collecting, basically. It's ok to pursue high standards, but being realistic does not hurt ...

I sympathize!

My latest arrival is a 1:400 3d-printed AN-71 AWACS, I got it from Chinese 2nd hand website Xianyu
It is a beautiful yet tiny plane, I put it next to the Panda TU-134 for comparison

Congrats on this "one of" I did not know of this aircraft until you showed it.