Show Your Crazy

Jazajia

Recently I was going over older photos and came across the one below:

DSC_0109.jpg

As discussed on this thread I ended up using a different photo as I did not like the angle.

Yesterday I was going through some old cellphone photos I found the following photo showing the setup to take the picture above.

IMG_2213.jpg

While I know my setup has plenty, plenty, plenty of room for improvement, my short-term goal is not exactly to achieve the perfect photograph but to break away from the limitations of cellphone snaps. I have found a happy place with a source of "workable" soft light and decent stabilization. While all that work went largely to waste as in the end I was not happy with the result, some other times it has paid off. Yes, I had to climb on a stool to do final adjustments and press the shutter, unfortunately (or fortunately) nobody was there to register that. I have found myself on ladders also in that room. Here is a photo that required a ladder.

Taking elaborate photos of models is a hobby in itself. Anyone else care to let us in the privacy of their "photo studios"

Recently I was going over older photos and came across the one below:

View attachment 28789

As discussed on this thread I ended up using a different photo as I did not like the angle.

Yesterday I was going through some old cellphone photos I found the following photo showing the setup to take the picture above.

View attachment 28790

While I know my setup has plenty, plenty, plenty of room for improvement, my short-term goal is not exactly to achieve the perfect photograph but to break away from the limitations of cellphone snaps. I have found a happy place with a source of "workable" soft light and decent stabilization. While all that work went largely to waste as in the end I was not happy with the result, some other times it has paid off. Yes, I had to climb on a stool to do final adjustments and press the shutter, unfortunately (or fortunately) nobody was there to register that. I have found myself on ladders also in that room. Here is a photo that required a ladder.

Taking elaborate photos of models is a hobby in itself. Anyone else care to let us in the privacy of their "photo studios"
Do you have any closer photos of what seems to be a Skymarks TWA 747?

I really like that Concorde picture in the back! Wished I had one of those in my "photo studio"
Thanks! I found it at a defunct pilot shop long time ago.

Do you have any closer photos of what seems to be a Skymarks TWA 747?

That section has grown a bit. Below is the only photo of it that I have access to right now. I’d be happy to take more photos of it when I get back home.

1712531804644.png

Thanks! I found it at a defunct pilot shop long time ago.

That section has grown a bit. Below is the only photo of it that I have access to right now. I’d be happy to take more photos of it when I get back home.

View attachment 28797
Looks really nice, a lot of those are pretty rare/discontinued models. Is that the ANA YS-11 on the bottom Hogan Wings?

Ooooooooo that's a nice ValuJet DC9 you there
Thanks, its a custom I got from one of the IF200 owners at AMS last year. He did not want to bring anything back with him, so he had some killer deals.

Looks really nice, a lot of those are pretty rare/discontinued models. Is that the ANA YS-11 on the bottom Hogan Wings?

It is quite nice for a SkyMarks. 1:200. I sold most of my SkyMarks a while ago, they all sold (sometimes 1:400 stuff doesn’t even get looked at), and there was even a mini bidding war for a Southwest Shamu.

The YS-11 is Hogan, also a deal from a show (Houston 2022).

1712542969567.jpeg

Too many models distract from the studio it seems.:LOL:

I enjoy taking photos of models a lot more than collecting them to be honest.

Here's a very private look into my self-made multi-purpose light box for scale modeling/decaling or photographing - stripped off all its diffusor plates and stuff to see inside.
Numerous independently switchable CRI98+ LED strips behind removable light diffusor plates. You can see the camera lens in this pic in the top-down position for perpendicular photos (or other purposes)
box by Alexander Kern, auf Flickr

And here's a quick shot taken from said angle and without any diffusion - I normally use the "undiffused" stripes to check surface irregularities when building stuff - usually don't use it for taking photos. With a bit of math you can even calculate layer thickness of the various color layers here...
hstua11 by Alexander Kern, auf Flickr

Too many models distract from the studio it seems.:LOL:

I enjoy taking photos of models a lot more than collecting them to be honest.

Here's a very private look into my self-made multi-purpose light box for scale modeling/decaling or photographing - stripped off all its diffusor plates and stuff to see inside.
Numerous independently switchable CRI98+ LED strips behind removable light diffusor plates. You can see the camera lens in this pic in the top-down position for perpendicular photos (or other purposes)
box by Alexander Kern, auf Flickr

And here's a quick shot taken from said angle and without any diffusion - I normally use the "undiffused" stripes to check surface irregularities when building stuff - usually don't use it for taking photos. With a bit of math you can even calculate layer thickness of the various color layers here...
hstua11 by Alexander Kern, auf Flickr

I always admired your photos a ton, love to see the behind the scenes! Indeed a really cool setup, what camera you run?

Super awesome setups guys!!!

When taking pics of a single model (for example: a new arrival in my collection), i'm very lazy, I just use my phone and place the model on top of my desk. But I like to include the box as a background :)

However, things get a little more interesting when I set up my diorama. Here's a "behind the scenes" of my upcoming project.

meiquinhofe.jpg

this thread is "aka why I don't post photos of my collection 🙈😅😂😬😁"
I no longer own a camera and with my legacy mishandling of gadgets I tend to use budget smartphones only, lol. The kind you can drop a couple of times a day or on a construction site lol 🙈😬😅.

Last edited:
Super awesome setups guys!!!

When taking pics of a single model (for example: a new arrival in my collection), i'm very lazy, I just use my phone and place the model on top of my desk. But I like to include the box as a background :)

However, things get a little more interesting when I set up my diorama. Here's a "behind the scenes" of my upcoming project.

View attachment 28955
That looks great. Love the background.

Here's something more rudimentary to make the lazies feel better 😛.
Haha image 1 made me feel better but image 2 and I see those cameras and I'm distraught 😂

But I've been thinking of getting a light box - the ready ones you get on the market - and maybe a point and shoot camera - I perhaps don't have the patience required of 'photography' - but maybe I should learn

Last edited:
Haha image 1 made me feel better but image 2 and I see those cameras and I'm distraught 😂

But I've been thinking of getting a light box - the ready ones you get on the market - and maybe a point and shoot camera
Honestly modern phone cams are good enough, proper lighting would make a bigger difference. I got the Canons for spotting, which is impossible where I live with a phone.

Honestly modern phone cams are good enough, proper lighting would make a bigger difference. I got the Canons for spotting, which is impossible where I live with a phone.
Feel better lol
But jokes aside
Yes I agree
A year or so ago I did spend some time taking pictures of my TAP A330s - the only time I spent time on a 'photoshoot' - did some makeshift lighting etc. They actually came out nice - took them with the cellphone camera.

But I've been thinking of getting a light box - the ready ones you get on the market - and maybe a point and shoot camera - I perhaps don't have the patience required of 'photography' - but maybe I should learn

If you have an iPhone or those modern Samsung, Xiaomi or Huawei, your pics will be good to go. These phones nowadays have fantastic cameras and features.