Rising from the ashes: VASP 727 custom

LeoMuse747

I got this Planet Airways 727 from a friend who had it since he was a kid. He gave me this model as is - in very bad shape, as you can see in the pictures.
Only the right main landing gear remaining, paint scratches, horizontal stabs missing, dust, box missing, yellowed nose gear doors... definitely not good!

PlanetFuckedUp01.jpg

PlanetFuckedUp02.jpg

However, talking with my friend and local custom maker Alexandre, he told me it would be possible to restore the missing parts.
I decided to have a VASP 727 in the original scheme. Here's the result! I even found an unused box here and thought it would be a great box for this model, so I did this custom layout for it :)

PPSNJ01.jpg

The decals have a few things inaccurate (for example: Brazilian flag missing :( ) but it's okay, feels really good to see this model in good shape back again.
The nose gear is a little oversized because Alexandre had to use a spare gear he had in his toolbox. I might try to replace it at some point. Overall, I'm very pleased with the outcome!

PPSNJ02.jpg

A brand new life for this bird... once very close to the scrapyard! :LOL:
It's like she was stored in Mojave, waiting for the scrapman, and someone brought her back to the skies.

Hope you all enjoy it as much as I did!

I got this Planet Airways 727 from a friend who had it since he was a kid. He gave me this model as is - in very bad shape, as you can see in the pictures.
Only the right main landing gear remaining, paint scratches, horizontal stabs missing, dust, box missing, yellowed nose gear doors... definitely not good!

View attachment 27104

View attachment 27105

However, talking with my friend and local custom maker Alexandre, he told me it would be possible to restore the missing parts.
I decided to have a VASP 727 in the original scheme. Here's the result! I even found an unused box here and thought it would be a great box for this model, so I did this custom layout for it :)

View attachment 27106

The decals have a few things inaccurate (for example: Brazilian flag missing :( ) but it's okay, feels really good to see this model in good shape back again.
The nose gear is a little oversized because Alexandre had to use a spare gear he had in his toolbox. I might try to replace it at some point. Overall, I'm very pleased with the outcome!

View attachment 27107

It's like she was stored in Mojave, waiting for the scrapman, and someone brought her back to the skies.

What a fantastic custom! If I were skilled at customs I’d be willing to do one myself as I have a couple that are pretty close to needing to be scrapped themselves…

Amazing custom. Neat decaling work. Congrats!

If you'd like, the Brazilian flag is really easy to add.

I have customized two of those planet Airways 722s, and have three more in my donors box. They are not very sought after and usually go for less than $30. You paint the tail and you've gotten yourself a blank. Easy to save the cockpit windows too.

View attachment 27104

View attachment 27105

View attachment 27106

View attachment 27107

A perfect example of one man's trash is another man's treasure! Excellent custom, and I think the box art is a really nice touch.

What a fantastic custom! If I were skilled at customs I’d be willing to do one myself as I have a couple that are pretty close to needing to be scrapped themselves…

Thank you! It's a great example of the skilled work of my friend Alexandre - he builds plastic kits of fighter jets and, to him, custom diecast models are quite easy to make. I wish I could say the same and have his skills too 😆

Amazing custom. Neat decaling work. Congrats!

If you'd like, the Brazilian flag is really easy to add.

I have customized two of those planet Airways 722s, and have three more in my donors box. They are not very sought after and usually go for less than $30. You paint the tail and you've gotten yourself a blank. Easy to save the cockpit windows too.

Thanks! Despite not being my work :p at least I'm the proud owner of the model!
I might add the Brazilian flags at some point too.
These Planet Airways are fantastic donors! I have another 727 custom - Itapemirim Cargo - also based on a Planet 727 donor.

A perfect example of one man's trash is another man's treasure! Excellent custom, and I think the box art is a really nice touch.

Thank you! :love:

Awesome custom! I don't see those planet 727s very often actually. I do own one but that stays as is, I remember seeing the real one often in CUR as charters. Other than that it would be an awesome source for donors. Just like the Carnival A300... Can't find many of these either.

Coming back here for a little update.

I finally replaced the nose gear. The perks of having spare parts! This gear came from my stock of 1:500 spare parts, back in the day when I used to collect 1:500 models. I had to gently remove the gear using pliers and place the new gear with a little drop of glue.
I think it's safe to say we will all agree it looks much better now. If you want to see how it looked before, just check the pics in my original post at the top of the page :)

IMG_0634.jpg