Phoenix April 2023 Release

Yep, it's appalling to see what companies get away with. Cradle moulds in 2023? Really? JC's printing, fit and finish in 1:200 were so atrocious I stopped collecting that scale altogether; models with defects were literally more common than those without. Verbal criticism is ineffective, as the old big names (JC/GJ, PH, AC) are vehemently unwilling to accept any sort of collector feedback.

... Which leads to brands that do listen (NG, AV400) to get "panned" over minor errors. Since we know criticism can lead to improvements, it's in our best interests to thoroughly dissect everything and help companies create the best product they can. For me, the 748 is something that needs to be done absolutely right. Since both the JC and PH moulds are mediocre to downright horrible, I've found myself poring over every detail and sending suggestions to NG almost daily, even though their version is already superior. Same goes for many others here, moreso because of the upcoming Classics. Since we're so limited in communication options, might as well make the most of what we have.
I agree that the cradle method is dated and it’s an irony that a seamless, improved version of that 747 tooling created years back in 2006 (which also had a corrected v.tail and h.stab pitch) gets lost and the original cradle version survives in use! Also ironic is the print quality of Phoenix is excellent in comparison - solid, crisp, clear colours, reminiscent of the old BB400 quality (based on the sole example I have).

Manufacturer’s worth their salt should listen to constructive feedback in order to give the collector something better - these things are not cheap but in most cases we’re paying inflated prices for the same old toolings from 20+ years ago. NG have been very positive with feedback and on-going product improvement, which is great, and the efforts of yourself and others to help maintain their standards is appreciated 👍

Some people aren’t as fussed over these things though - that’s just the way it is!

Yes they certainly could improve their 747's but again why would they go that expense if nobody is going to compete with them ? I'm not excusing them of course, but why spend the money if nobody else is going to go head to head with them ? This is why I criticise other 747 mould holders so much. They have every opportunity to make the Phoenix 747 history but for whatever reason, simply do not.
Point taken! But maybe NG will be competing in due course? As already suggested these releases could already be reactionary? Word can get around the Guangdong province quickly! This must surely be the biggest batch of 747 classic releases in some time?? No less than 3 Landor 747s. That’s breaking a pattern right there!

In the case of Phoenix it would just be good to see them improve such an obviously flawed tooling for the sake of them caring about the quality of their offering, regardless of what else is going on - naive, I know. I agree that if JC etc. pulled out their toolings more often it would probably keep the Phoenix one in abeyance. So I guess it’s 50/50 😉

I suppose what it boils down to is you have the established manufacturers, the ‘old order’, all holding onto their old B.741/2/3/4 tooling inventory which they now only rarely use, and often only for ‘political’ purposes, but not one of them actually pre-empting any advancement with a completely new mould, thus maintaining the status-quo.

I don’t understand this as it’s such a popular, famous iconic aircraft that everybody knows, and it deserves an update for 2023 standards. Surely it would be a sound investment? You’d think one brand would pull their finger out - so, over to NG, as they seem prepared to do so as already demonstrated!

I’m in exactly the same camp - I’d happily take JC/AC 747s in the meantime (BB400 moulds) or GJ (they use their own tooling still - or did, anyway), as I would always keep these in my collection regardless of what happens - even though these toolings are older and not 100% in places, they’re not sub-par.

NG gets raked over the coals and scrutinised far more heavily over the smallest of details because of the close tolerances they set right at the start - it might not be fair, but this is what happens when the level of detail is elevated to that extent and then the expectation of consistency remains afterwards for that brand… however, the level of hypocrisy would be absurd if these same nit-pickers were happily accepting the Phoenix mould in the meantime! Creating 2 different sets of rules: it’s not ok for NG to be out my a fraction of a .5mm but it’s ok for Phoenix as their standards are way lower - so aim low and you won’t be disappointed! However, their prices aren’t lower…
In Canada sometimes their models will go well over $70, it's horrid when NG retails for at least 10 dollars less. I don't understand why their prices are so high

Looking good, I've said it before, and yes I know it's not perfect either, but the Phoenix 741-2 mould is not as bad as people suggest. The 744 however...

Indeed looks good. I was recently made aware of the wing to fuselage join issue, and now I find annoying. I have to guess it is the result of Phoenix doing a hybrid slot between the classic and the -400 fairing to use the same mold for the -100/-200 and -400F. Still, it looks better than their pax -400. Not only the nose is very ugly, but they printed the windows low too.

Here are some pics of the -236B.

IMG_3248.jpegIMG_3246.jpegIMG_3247.jpeg

Last edited:
I also found the -400 to be hardly endurable, especially with the new update (latest). I think older ones are fine, this version is really weird. The -200 looks very good from the images and I am considering picking it up. Very surprised they use different moulds for -200 vs -400 though.

Very surprised they use different moulds for -200 vs -400 though.

They have to for the passenger version because of the stretched upper deck. However, the -200 fuselage mold can be used for the -400F, with wings with winglets fitted to it. My theory is they figured a -200 with the -400 wing to fuselage connection looks better than the other way around.