Pan Am TriStar 500 N507PA by NG Review

I had never done a scored review before. I preferred the casual overlook of a model, I particularly enjoy comparing models of the same aircraft. But the last time I was comparing the new GJ 764 with the old DW one I did feel that some structure would have helped me.

I noticed that recently @Mark22 started writing some nice reviews over at 400SH using a scoring system, we are all familiar with Richard's scoring scale as well. For this review, I used Mark's scoring template with some minor changes. It is my first try at a scored review so I expect my technique to evolve. Suggestions are welcomed.

Mark recently did a review of a 1/72 KLM Super Constellation. Check it out it is a good read.

Well done review. Thank you. The bluish tone to the bare metal finish is really obvious here. At certain angles in some of the photos, it actually looks more like paint than the electroplated finish. If NG keeps this type of finish, any bare metal Eastern L-1011 will be a bit of a disappointment,

Well done review. Thank you. The bluish tone to the bare metal finish is really obvious here. At certain angles in some of the photos, it actually looks more like paint than the electroplated finish. If NG keeps this type of finish, any bare metal Eastern L-1011 will be a bit of a disappointment.
A theory I posted in the other forum on this:

There’s a correlation with the Pan Am L-1011-500 as I recall the original 2020 release had a supply issue at the time, which I believe was the plating problem affecting that run of -500 blanks, after which the process was suspended for the entire L-1011 mould family.

All recent plated releases produced on the -1 series since the process resumed in 2022 have been fine (Air America, TWA, Delta, Cathay Pacific etc.) so I’m thinking it’s a 2020 run of -500 blanks which are being cleared out here.

They may have been rejected at the time but have now decided they’re not so bad and can be used up.

I’ve examined my copy of N507PA up close a few times and I’m personally convinced that it’s plated 🙏

Not that I’d expect anyone to read through all this (!) but attached are some references to problems which can be encountered with electroplating. I believe the process NG use is a form of Zinc alloy plating. One issue can be a milky haze in the plate. The bluish tone is due to the metals used in the process.

Plating problems

Attachments

• 27CD7A7F-2451-4774-AC4F-0421AF7830BA.jpeg
    27CD7A7F-2451-4774-AC4F-0421AF7830BA.jpeg
    431.3 KB · Views: 19
Not that I’d expect anyone to read through all this (!) but attached are some references to problems which can be encountered with electroplating. I believe the process NG use is a form of Zinc alloy plating. One issue can be a milky haze in the plate. The bluish tone is due to the metals used in the process.

Plating problems
Thanks for sharing! Of course I will read this - in fact I recall that you had responded in an elaborate manner detailing the plating issues NG faced with their 1011s to a query I posted on IG - a long time ago - and I remember there being a fruitful and informative exchange thereafter! Cheers!

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing! Of course I will read this - in fact I recall that you had responded in an elaborate manner detailing the platting issues NG faced with their 1011s to a query I posted on IG - a long time ago - and I remember there being a fruitful and informative exchange thereafter! Cheers!
Welcome! Glad it’s of interest. Yes, now you mention it I remember that - it was a very in-depth discussion! 🙏👍

Cheers!