NG Models - All 747 Samples Together

The -8i sample looks a lot better here than in the pics from March, maybe it was just the angle that made it look bad.

And this confirms the 744's wingroot is definitely too rounded.

This is weird. The nose section of the SP looks OK to me in the sample model, but looks bad in the production models.

The B747-200 upper deck needs more smoothness. The SP and 8F upper deck look very nice.

Thanks, Richard, sorry I didn't reply earlier... been bu-sy... and then this thread got buried.

The idea came as I started taking some nose-to-nose shots of my 741/2s. I actually started taking these photos before the AMS show, but then included some models I got there.

I think the NG 742 fuselage looks okay. Yes, the top of the upper deck is a bit too flat (the Herpa/Hogan mold has the same issue), but I can live with that... It beats Phoenix's blunt nose. Not sure about the nose cone height. We need to wait for an actual release. As Leo pointed out, the SP sample looks quite nice, but the actual releases not so much. Still, better than Phoenix, and since JC is not allowed to use the BigBird mold (or something like that), I'll gladly take that NG nose.

The wings and wing root must be fixed though...

NG should pick up their pace. JC is putting out some nice -400s and we know AC does have some -100/200s in the pipeline...

The CAD data for the B.741/2 series toolings should've come off their SP, then have had all the neccessary alterations and refinements applied from there. Using CAD from the B.744 as a quicker starting point has led to a very incorrect 1st test shot, as so many B.744 features have been left in up until this point. So the time required to fix this would probably work out the same as starting with the SP in the first place. This also means another test shot at the tooling stage. The upper-deck is flat because it's been modified from the B.744 CAD. This is totally avoidable as the correct profile already exists on their SP CAD data, which I really think would've been a more logical starting point.

The CAD data for the B.741/2 series toolings should've come off their SP, then have had all the neccessary alterations and refinements applied from there. Using CAD from the B.744 as a quicker starting point has led to a very incorrect 1st test shot, as so many B.744 features have been left in up until this point. So the time required to fix this would probably work out the same as starting with the SP in the first place. This also means another test shot at the tooling stage. The upper-deck is flat because it's been modified from the B.744 CAD. This is totally avoidable as the correct profile already exists on their SP CAD data, which I really think would've been a more logical starting point.

Wise words. I'm afraid they could just scrap the whole thing off, or just start pumping out subpart 742s, in which case we might as well just be content with the Phoenix mold. I wouldn't be too mad at NG, it is an expensive endeavor, but it makes me kind of sad as a collector ☹️

Wise words. I'm afraid they could just scrap the whole thing off, or just start pumping out subpart 742s, in which case we might as well just be content with the Phoenix mold. I wouldn't be too mad at NG, it is an expensive endeavor, but it makes me kind of sad as a collector ☹️
It would be big shame and a lost opportunity if this happens, as they have this well in reach with all the CAD work now available. Just needs the right approach. Either way, it's going to cost time and money to fix - tweaking the existing CAD or starting again - and both would require a 2nd test shot. Let's hope they've got a bit more time and money to throw at it, if not now maybe a bit later on. The B.744 looks in a much more promising position and could safely go to market beforehand, which could help fund the work needed on the B.741/2 if indeed that is an issue?