NG Cathay Pacific TriStar VR-HHK - in detail

Phantom

Finally received my long awaited copy of NG's Cathay Pacific TriStar VR-HHK and took it for a little photo session. If you're just in for the pics, scroll down.
wink.gif

Not only is the mould absolutely impressive, NG's ability to listen to the collector to make corrections accordingly is awesome. This model is a perfect example. The announcement artwork showed HHK in a hybrid/interims livery and engine config. Luckily NG listened and changed the final product to what this airframe looked like in its earliest service life - long engine exhausts and the inititally applied L-1011 titles.
The upcoming sistership hopefully will complete the set with full 1980's colors.

The only real criticism I have with this model are the wings:
Contrary to those on the recent Delta they for whatever reason only come with a silver paint instead of a polished/plated look.
And they do have an erroneous wing pattern despite of plenty of reference pics.

The real VR-HHK, cn 1118, was the first TriStar for Cathay. First flown as N64854 in July'75 it was delivered to the airline in August that year. At that point it carried a slightly different livery but the "SuperTriStar" titles were added soon after.
The airframe served with Cathay until 1996 when it was sold and registered N556WP with World Pacific - not sure if it ever took off. It was handed on to Classic Airways were it was used for one year as G-IOII. After going into storage at Stansted in August'98 it was broken up until 2000.

vrhhk2 by AlexK3800, auf Flickr
vrhhk5 by AlexK3800, auf Flickr
vrhhk1 by AlexK3800, auf Flickr
vrhhk6 by AlexK3800, auf Flickr
vrhhk7 by AlexK3800, auf Flickr
vrhhk4 by AlexK3800, auf Flickr
vrhhk3 by AlexK3800, auf Flickr
vrhhk8 by AlexK3800, auf Flickr
vrhhk9 by AlexK3800, auf Flickr

Looks lovely, still waiting for mine, hopefully it will arrive tomorrow. Interesting observation about the wings, maybe they ran out of plated ones to use this time! I can also see where the grey coroguard is wrong, it should go all the way up to the flaps, outlining their positions as per this photo. They also missed out the dot above the “i” in “Super TriStar”, but that’s fairly minor.

Attachments

• 9F8BF3C6-A29B-47B7-9B6C-2F24FE20D10C.jpeg
    9F8BF3C6-A29B-47B7-9B6C-2F24FE20D10C.jpeg
    415 KB · Views: 20
Finally received my long awaited copy of NG's Cathay Pacific TriStar VR-HHK and took it for a little photo session. If you're just in for the pics, scroll down.
wink.gif

Not only is the mould absolutely impressive, NG's ability to listen to the collector to make corrections accordingly is awesome. This model is a perfect example. The announcement artwork showed HHK in a hybrid/interims livery and engine config. Luckily NG listened and changed the final product to what this airframe looked like in its earliest service life - long engine exhausts and the inititally applied L-1011 titles.
The upcoming sistership hopefully will complete the set with full 1980's colors.

The only real criticism I have with this model are the wings:
Contrary to those on the recent Delta they for whatever reason only come with a silver paint instead of a polished/plated look.
And they do have an erroneous wing pattern despite of plenty of reference pics.

The real VR-HHK, cn 1118, was the first TriStar for Cathay. First flown as N64854 in July'75 it was delivered to the airline in August that year. At that point it carried a slightly different livery but the "SuperTriStar" titles were added soon after.
The airframe served with Cathay until 1996 when it was sold and registered N556WP with World Pacific - not sure if it ever took off. It was handed on to Classic Airways were it was used for one year as G-IOII. After going into storage at Stansted in August'98 it was broken up until 2000.

vrhhk2 by AlexK3800, auf Flickr
vrhhk5 by AlexK3800, auf Flickr
vrhhk1 by AlexK3800, auf Flickr
vrhhk6 by AlexK3800, auf Flickr
vrhhk7 by AlexK3800, auf Flickr
vrhhk4 by AlexK3800, auf Flickr
vrhhk3 by AlexK3800, auf Flickr
vrhhk8 by AlexK3800, auf Flickr
vrhhk9 by AlexK3800, auf Flickr
Thank you for sharing the lovely photos or a near perfect model!! Is there anywhere that shows all the different major livery variations of cathay tristars? So far all I know is the following variations:

1. Swire logo under cockpit windows or in front beside the main “CATHAY PACIFIC” titles.
2. “Super Tristar” present or not in #3 engine intake.
3. Union Jack on tail or not
4. “Lockheed L1011” on rear fuselage or not.
5. Paint or bare metal on rear fuselage along #3 engine.

What else am I missing? It would be great to know which years all of the variations took place! Thank you!

Absolutely stunning models... and stunning pics too! Your pictures, together with the super high quality of the model, make it look like 1:200 instead of 1:400. A real beauty! Thanks for sharing!
Without any size references I'd tell you this was a 1:200, a lot of the printed details on the belly and the differing shades of chrome are actually superior to the IF200.

Looks lovely, still waiting for mine, hopefully it will arrive tomorrow. Interesting observation about the wings, maybe they ran out of plated ones to use this time! I can also see where the grey coroguard is wrong, it should go all the way up to the flaps, outlining their positions as per this photo. They also missed out the dot above the “i” in “Super TriStar”, but that’s fairly minor.
Wow, good eye Alex!

I got mine, love it. The previous JC edition on the short gears can retire.
Nice one. Literally opened mine just now having picked it up today - what a cracker! It’s gorgeous. Definitely model of the year for me. I’m keeping my JC version as a placeholder until NG makes another ‘80s version - which I’m sure they will at some point 👍

Nice one. Literally opened mine just now having picked it up today - what a cracker! It’s gorgeous. Definitely model of the year for me. I’m keeping my JC version as a placeholder until NG makes another ‘80s version - which I’m sure they will at some point 👍
I got the two JC 'short leg' editions and I'm half tempted to try and replace the gears with something like an NG set if it's physically possible ? . As for model of the year, you may well be right, for me it's the Iberia TriStar, but to be honest any NG TriStar is worth celebrating. 🤘😎🤘

I got the two JC 'short leg' editions and I'm half tempted to try and replace the gears with something like an NG set if it's physically possible ? . As for model of the year, you may well be right, for me it's the Iberia TriStar, but to be honest any NG TriStar is worth celebrating. 🤘😎🤘
That could be an idea - a set of NG gear would really improve the JC if it actually slotted into the recesses, not sure if it would. Some filing might be needed! The Iberia was very nice too, I had to pick and choose with space and budget both being constant factors 😅 Plus, being a wet-lease from the late 1990s put it out of criteria. I agree though, you cannot beat an NG TriStar, each one is a gem! ✈️👏👍