Most Needed Moulds

OscarBravo992

Hi All! Here is a thread where we can discuss the aircraft that desperately need a new mould in 1:400. I'll start:

Before @Purpleplane undoubtedly mentions it, I will say it first.

DC-9-10

Do I even have to say anything? It is pretty obvious that the original mighty 9 needs a new mould, I am sure many people would buy many of the models that could be made.

Aerospatiale / BAC Concorde

I think this might be one of the least desperate for a replacement, but honestly, what can I say about the Concorde that hasn't been said? The Herpa mould is good, but as usual with Herpa in 1:400, it doesn't get used much. I think there have only been 10 releases on it, and I would love either NG or AC to come out with a new Concorde. Knowing those two brands, any representation of the Concorde by them would be excellent. I am sure many of us would like to get our hands on a Landor Concorde too, they are very hard to come by nowadays.

Please share the moulds you would like to see revamped!

All of those need new moulds. I agree with your order but I might move the DC-9-10 a bit higher up. Personal preference though. We need to see some new 727 moulds, there are so many TAA and Ansett 727s I would buy.

Here is my list in order.

A220
Being a relatively new aircraft, there is only one available mould option across the entire 1/400 market, and it's the Herpa. GJ/JC actively uses it for their releases. Right off the bat the nose is too long and pointy, and subsequently the cockpit is simply too small. For a long time, the elephant in the room was the chunky landing gears that were seemingly made out of plastic. Nosegear was somehow too short and the model tilted forward. In some of the newest releases you will notice that the gears were updated, but with Gemini being Gemini, now the nosegear is too tall and the plane tilts backward. More or less this mould is living off the monopoly that it has on the said aircraft type. There are A220s out there that are in a desperate need of a rerelease, and there are lots of them.

E175
This one is quite similar to what I said about the A220. Two existing moulds here, GJ/JC and Herpa, and only the former has the enhanced WL tooling. Once again, Gemini being Gemini, wing flex has been added out of the blue, and now the mould is subpar. This year even the gears, which were once perfect, have been exchanged for something that is quite frankly worse. Other than that, the mould isn't terrible by any means but aspects like the nose could definitely use some improvement.

A330neo
NG already has an excellent A330ceo, which means they really only need a new set of wings and engines to complete the family. Coincidentally, NG's ceo wings have incorrect leading edge slats anyway, so why not revamp the wings altogether? Av400 did announce their version not too long ago, but who knows how long they'll take.

B767
The existing 767 moulds are surprisingly decent and are in a much better state than something like the A220. However, at least for me personally, it's not quite enough. The GJ/JC is a really nice mould for its age, but it is still an old cradle and the wings are outdated (small fairings, round edges, etc). As someone who loves the 767, I'd love to see NG's take on this.

I will be sure to make a retro, modern, and future list, but it looks like we need 747 classics, DC-9-10s, maybe a few other t-tails, A220, E175, 767-400 maybe, among others.

I'd be happy with the following:

747 classic
MD-80
Concorde

Wouldn't mind new 707-300s and 727s, but I think they are not as urgent. I really like the GJ 727s, with their ugly seam and all. Aeroclassics 727-200 is not bad either. I know a lot of people want a DC-9-10, but I only need two rather obscure short DC-9s from Venezuela, that I doubt will be made, so not too interested in it.

I am sure many of us would like to get our hands on a Landor Concorde too, they are very hard to come by nowadays.

Please share the moulds you would like to see revamped!

There are many old models that I am still hunting for, some Euro and Latin Classics 747 and 707s, but probably a Landor Concorde is at the top of the list right now. Yes, they are hard to come by and the GJ version does leave a lot to be desired. This is why I think we need some fresh blood in Concorde's arena.

B747-100/200/300
MD-8x
An-10/12/22

Some that are probably not realistic, but still fun:
Lockheed Model 12 Electra
Lockheed Model 14 Super Electra
Lockheed Model 18 Lodestar
Lockheed Jetstar
DC-2
DC-5

I'm still thinking that as far as need...the DC-9-10 is hands down the most urgent....at least for me.

Last edited:
I would like to see a DC-9-21 mould made. But probably a “Mission Impossible”. Here is the story:
Douglas Aircraft Company’s willingness to meet the demands of its customers made it possible during the 60s for SAS to obtain a tailor-made version for its network in Northern Norway - the DC-9-20, with the body from the DC-9-10 and the wings and engines from the DC-9-30 . The DC-9-40 was also developed at the request of SAS as a DC-9-30 with an extended body.

However, only 10 DC-9-21 were made and only made for SAS.

I will be sure to make a retro, modern, and future list, but it looks like we need 747 classics, DC-9-10s, maybe a few other t-tails, A220, E175, 767-400 maybe, among others.
I'm surprised you didn't say MD-80! :ROFLMAO: I completely agree, the amount of money I would pay to get my hands on a new 747-300 mould...

I would like to see a DC-9-21 mould made. But probably a “Mission Impossible”. Here is the story:
Douglas Aircraft Company’s willingness to meet the demands of its customers made it possible during the 60s for SAS to obtain a tailor-made version for its network in Northern Norway - the DC-9-20, with the body from the DC-9-10 and the wings and engines from the DC-9-30 . The DC-9-40 was also developed at the request of SAS as a DC-9-30 with an extended body.

However, only 10 DC-9-21 were made and only made for SAS.

Aeropostal from Venezuela operated one -21 YV-13C, former OY-KIA.

Looking through A.net I can see -21s in the liveries of Valujet, Spirit, Allegiant, Nordic East, Perris Skydive, Thales, and multiple SAS liveries.

I think Spirit and Valujet could sell well in the U.S., especially Valujet. I'd say the Aeropostal one will also do well if history serves as a reference.

I'd imagine fitting the wings of a -30 on a -10 fuselage is fairly easy, and I totally see NG producing a -20 mold if they do decide to go down the DC-9 path. They are a brand well-known for producing multiple variants of a particular type, including obscure ones.

I'd like to see more Soviet-era birds. More IL-76s, for example, and also new moulds for the turboprops An-24/26 and An-12.
Would be also great to see the Embraer Brasilia in 1:400... if a Short 360 and Saab 340 can be made in diecast, then an EMB-120 is also very much possible.

I'd like to see more Soviet-era birds. More IL-76s, for example, and also new moulds for the turboprops An-24/26 and An-12.
Would be also great to see the Embraer Brasilia in 1:400... if a Short 360 and Saab 340 can be made in diecast, then an EMB-120 is also very much possible.
Adding on to the Soviet moulds, I would love to see a Tu-114. It shocks me that there isn't one yet.