Models turning yellow?

Phantom

Out of curiosity, is there anyone else experiencing models turning yellow?
Yellowing is a common problem with white (plastics, enamel and acrylic paints) in scale modeling, but I don't see many discussions in the 1/400 diecast world - I take it because the used "whites" are oven baked spray/dipping laquers which seem to be less prone.

While digging through a spares box some time ago I realized one of my AC PA A300s turned yellow while the other didn't.
Now I just discovered that my AC Thai DC-10, HS-TMA is also affected - and this one I wanted to put back up on display again.

Anyone else having yellowing models?
204209 by AlexK3800, auf Flickr
hstma by AlexK3800, auf Flickr

Out of curiosity, is there anyone else experiencing models turning yellow?
Yellowing is a common problem with white (plastics, enamel and acrylic paints) in scale modeling, but I don't see many discussions in the 1/400 diecast world - I take it because the used "whites" are oven baked spray/dipping laquers which seem to be less prone.

While digging through a spares box some time ago I realized one of my AC PA A300s turned yellow while the other didn't.
Now I just discovered that my AC Thai DC-10, HS-TMA is also affected - and this one I wanted to put back up on display again.

Anyone else having yellowing models?
204209 by AlexK3800, auf Flickr
hstma by AlexK3800, auf Flickr
I have had this with a few old Dragon Ansett 747s, the plastic wing box had become an off-white colour. I would say this was because of prolonged exposure to the Australian sun, but as far as I can tell they never had much, if any, exposure to direct sunlight. Unfortunately I cannot share photos, I gifted them to a friend for custom work a while back.

It is very frustrating, and especially for you with such rare models showing signs of damage.

Yeah, usually sunlight causes yellowing on models. Considering your model yellowed in storage in a dark environment, I’m not so sure what would have caused it in this case.

Mine AC Pan Am A300's are stored. The engine nacelles and the wing center are yellowish.

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 23
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 13
Mine AC Pan Am A300's are stored. The engine nacelles and the wing center are yellowish.
Yes, mine also never saw any daylight. And the Thai was good for all the years until I packed it a few years ago for the next move - it spent those years since in its box.
In fact, there are many paints (alkyd resins for example) that are prone to yellow - often when NOT being exposed to natural light (UV).
I'd think this could be what happens here - also possible would be an erroneous combination of two lacquer systems in which the underlying might be bleeding through.

Yellowing is quite common in plastic parts, but it's weird to see a metal fuselage becoming yellowed.
I had models with yellowed engines, for example. Some people say that sunlight exposure causes this... I agree it surely takes a toll in the whiteness of these parts, but how about models which are stored in their boxes and don't see any sunlight? These can become yellowed aswell, it seems.

Sadly it seems to be quite unavoidable to some models :(

I have a few AC models turning a bit yellow. The tail on SAS DC-10 (LN-RKA) is turning yellow. The Lufthansa Staralliance A340 (D-AIGC) and another Staralliance TAP A320 (CS-TNP) are both getting less white. Another is Thai DC-10 (HS-TMA) that is not as white as the newly released HS-TMC. I have all my models on display but only these show the tendency to get yellowish.LN-RKA_1.JPGLufthansa A340_2.JPG

I don't have any experience with yellowing (in diecast), but I do wonder if the plastic engines on some NGs will yellow over time. IIRC the A330 has plastic engines.

Right, I guess it's easier to accurately detail smaller engines with plastic. Hence the 777's metal engines.
Yep. In the 747’s and L-1011’s case at least, the engines are mostly not painted white, so hopefully will not show any signs of damage for years to come. Additionally, I think the reason for the plastics engines on the SP and Tristar is simply due to NG not wanting to electroplate more parts for the ‘chrome’ metal finish.

Last edited:
Plastic is an oil-based product so anything made of plastic will eventually turn yellow, but most noticeable on anything made of white plastic.
Acrylic paint is not oil based so should not turn yellow, but any paints like enamel are oil based and will turn cream/yellow in time.

I've been fortunate so far, none of my models are showing any signs of yellowing or other discoloring. I do keep them in a cabinet with glass doors, and out of direct sunlight.

I recently noticed that the wing box of my Ecuatoriana DC-10 by GJ (rainbow livery) is yellow. I got the model new and it was pristine back then (seems like yesterday).

The model has been displayed, but the wing box is probably one of the least exposed parts to sunlight.

Plastic is an oil-based product so anything made of plastic will eventually turn yellow, but most noticeable on anything made of white plastic.
Acrylic paint is not oil based so should not turn yellow, but any paints like enamel are oil based and will turn cream/yellow in time.
Good to know, I don’t have a lot of experience with paints, but tended to prefer enamel over acrylic. Will keep it in mind.