Model Airport Recreation

Horizon

I was wondering, when it comes to finding out what flies in and out of an airport and other general info, is there a easy way to find it, or is it just simply looking through FR24 (because FR24 is nice because it can show what gates the aircrafts park, to help figuring out the layout)?

Because I'm trying to see what models to add to my collection for the airports I wanna recreate in 1:400 and I guess I'm just trying to see if there's a simpler way.

There is a lot of research that goes into making a realistic airport. FR24 is an excellent resource for creating a present-day layout. I would recommend checking FR24 and keeping a list of airlines and routes, and then keeping track of which aircraft fly those routes. I have a google sheets document with all the flight numbers, arrival times, aircraft and routes of MEL, and I used mostly FR24 to make that. It does take time and there is no shortcut, but with dedication and a little bit of patience, you can do it!

There is a lot of research that goes into making a realistic airport. FR24 is an excellent resource for creating a present-day layout. I would recommend checking FR24 and keeping a list of airlines and routes, and then keeping track of which aircraft fly those routes. I have a google sheets document with all the flight numbers, arrival times, aircraft and routes of MEL, and I used mostly FR24 to make that. It does take time and there is no shortcut, but with dedication and a little bit of patience, you can do it!
I see. because i do exactly that on Docs and for an airport like LAS, it's tedious lol. like jotting down all the flights with the gates and such. But knowing I'm not the only one is nice and this is one of the ways to have some info to do an airport

I see. because i do exactly that on Docs and for an airport like LAS, it's tedious lol. like jotting down all the flights with the gates and such. But knowing I'm not the only one is nice and this is one of the ways to have some info to do an airport
Yeah. It don’t really note the gates, I just have a map of MEL printed out on A2 with annotations of where the flights to and from where usually park. I mostly only use this for internationals though, as the domestics are pretty predictable.

I just wish there was a site like this that you can go back several years. I really need this for my IND project....ideally going back as far as the late 70s or early 80s.

I just wish there was a site like this that you can go back several years. I really need this for my IND project....ideally going back as far as the late 70s or early 80s.
Same. Finding information on Melbourne airport back in the 80s is extremely challenging, and don't even get me started on finding the models...

When it comes to figuring out who parks where, the historical imagery from Google Earth and also searching old photos on JP or Airliners.net also works really well. I extend a lot of thanks to many of those spotters from decades ago for their excellent imagery.

It's a bit more challenging when it comes to who flew into an airport years ago. Images are hard to find sometimes, but the old JustPlanes documentaries are excellent sources if you can find one for the airport you're concerned with.

When it comes to figuring out who parks where, the historical imagery from Google Earth and also searching old photos on JP or Airliners.net also works really well. I extend a lot of thanks to many of those spotters from decades ago for their excellent imagery.

It's a bit more challenging when it comes to who flew into an airport years ago. Images are hard to find sometimes, but the old JustPlanes documentaries are excellent sources if you can find one for the airport you're concerned with.
That's a very good idea. I have most of it covered, just have few gaps here and there.