How to build an airport and save money

LAXaviation

Hey everyone, my name is Iván and as a younger collector who legally still can't be employed to make money, here are some tips to reduce the cost of your model airport.

1) Materials, something you will need to get for your airport is materials. For the base paint (If ur making it by hand) i recommend some americana or crastfsmart paints, as well as some of the cheeper paint brushes, you can find these at a hobby store or online. These are better than home depot paints as well because they are more consistent with the color and will always come out the same. Other materials that are recommend are posca pens (red, yellow,black,white pc-3mr,) a ruler or yard stick, and most important LEGOS AND CARDSTOCK PAPER

2) service equipmet. Now gse is crucial to making your airport more realistic and stand out, but if you have a 50 gate airport and a single set of gse costs around 30 dollars+ another 30,40 for a pack of 6 gemini jetways that would leave me with around 2,600 dollars spent on tiny cars and plastic bridges :(. A solution to this is to make your own gse. I have posted a thread to make the same sized papercraft gse and jetways, I have made around 56 jetways in the span of 6 months and after a few times of making them they are not as hard to make. Materials for the gse and jetways would be cardstock paper, an x-acto knife tweasers, and super or UHU glue.

3) The final peice to make your airport proces cheeper is to make your terminals our of paper or legos like I have done. Legos can be expensive but sometimes on retailers or ebay a pack of 100-150 white 2x4 bricks can cost me around 15-20 USD. The downside is you can't make your terminals very realistic but it is cheeper alternitve that needs no special experience to do. For a model airport I recommend a while building color and black pieces for the windows. I will add a few photos of my own model airport KLAX in the making to show you how it turned out (Im not the best photographer so spare me :(

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-09-14 at 10.24.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-09-14 at 10.24.04 PM.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 25
  • Screen Shot 2023-09-14 at 10.23.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-09-14 at 10.23.52 PM.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 24
  • Screen Shot 2023-09-14 at 10.23.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-09-14 at 10.23.35 PM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 31
  • Screen Shot 2023-09-14 at 10.23.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-09-14 at 10.23.21 PM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 33
  • Screen Shot 2023-09-14 at 10.24.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-09-14 at 10.24.17 PM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 32
Also if u dont wana buy any planes u can make these out of paper

Also if u dont wana buy any planes u can make these out of paper
I used to make these and they were definitely a good cheaper alternative, but the need tons of time and a lot of effort to make them.

Instead of using Gemini GSE, I suggest to go for 3D printed GSE. Lots of models available on Ebay and Instagram accounts. And they look much better! :)

Instead of using Gemini GSE, I suggest to go for 3D printed GSE. Lots of models available on Ebay and Instagram accounts. And they look much better! :)
I am still at a complete loss for GSE appropriate for 80s-90s Indianapolis... are you able to recommend any specific accounts, or specific search terms for 3d printing companies? The search engine at Shapeways is terrible, returning literally thousands of unrelated results.

I am still at a complete loss for GSE appropriate for 80s-90s Indianapolis... are you able to recommend any specific accounts, or specific search terms for 3d printing companies? The search engine at Shapeways is terrible, returning literally thousands of unrelated results.

A quick search "1:400 GSE" on Shapeways already gave me lots of results 😅

Here's a good seller on Shapeways. Take a look:

Some great GSE here on this Ebay account:

Interesting selection of GSE here too:

Hey everyone, my name is Iván and as a younger collector who legally still can't be employed to make money, here are some tips to reduce the cost of your model airport.

1) Materials, something you will need to get for your airport is materials. For the base paint (If ur making it by hand) i recommend some americana or crastfsmart paints, as well as some of the cheeper paint brushes, you can find these at a hobby store or online. These are better than home depot paints as well because they are more consistent with the color and will always come out the same. Other materials that are recommend are posca pens (red, yellow,black,white pc-3mr,) a ruler or yard stick, and most important LEGOS AND CARDSTOCK PAPER

2) service equipmet. Now gse is crucial to making your airport more realistic and stand out, but if you have a 50 gate airport and a single set of gse costs around 30 dollars+ another 30,40 for a pack of 6 gemini jetways that would leave me with around 2,600 dollars spent on tiny cars and plastic bridges :(. A solution to this is to make your own gse. I have posted a thread to make the same sized papercraft gse and jetways, I have made around 56 jetways in the span of 6 months and after a few times of making them they are not as hard to make. Materials for the gse and jetways would be cardstock paper, an x-acto knife tweasers, and super or UHU glue.

3) The final peice to make your airport proces cheeper is to make your terminals our of paper or legos like I have done. Legos can be expensive but sometimes on retailers or ebay a pack of 100-150 white 2x4 bricks can cost me around 15-20 USD. The downside is you can't make your terminals very realistic but it is cheeper alternitve that needs no special experience to do. For a model airport I recommend a while building color and black pieces for the windows. I will add a few photos of my own model airport KLAX in the making to show you how it turned out (Im not the best photographer so spare me :(
Hello Iván! As a younger collector called Ivan who can't find a job anywhere thank you for the advise!