How many models have you got?

Damn dude you must have every AC, GJ, JC ever made
When I first signed up on the 400 Scale Hangar in 2009 CBL had been a member for some years already. Tons of long-time collectors there with sprawling collections in the 1000s.

When I first started in 2009 I built up my collection to around 50 models and got out as soon as I had all the Viasa releases from 2007. I really couldn't justify the expense so quit cold turkey (I did keep an eye on things and got some of the sporadic Venezuelan releases from the 2010s).

It takes time to build up a collection (and the budget required to fund it). I think the best way to go about it is the "marathon" approach vs. the "sprint" approach.

I personally try to watch out not to fall into a size-measuring contest, as it is a sure way to get carried away and end up with a bunch of useless models. In the end, nobody will give me a prize or trophy.

Another issue is that sometimes an entire year can go by with nothing I really want getting released, so I start looking around for models. just for the sake of it. Luckily I am quite content with the vast majority of my current collection, but I will definitely need to do some realignment (again) in a few years.

I feel like I don't buy much, but by reading others commment here I realise having 90 within 6 months is actually a pretty large hike 🤣🤣
Currently I have 107 1/400 in my collection - but consider that I only have 13 before last June I think my collection is expanding a bit too fast🤣🤣🤣
螢幕擷取畫面 2023-01-16 002444.jpg螢幕擷取畫面 2023-01-16 002509.jpg
螢幕擷取畫面 2023-01-16 002534.jpg螢幕擷取畫面 2023-01-16 002553.jpg
Some observations when I check the list once again:
1) The StarJets AC L1011 and the netmodels@ Northwest 744 are 1/500 - but their state are pretty bad (Large paint bubbles on both aircraft) making them unsellable.
2) JC, PH and DW are the three major brands in my collection - PHs and JCs are mix of old and new releases whereas the DWs all come secondhand.
3) AV400 sits comfortably in 4th - the B-16701 pair exist because I broke the engine pylon on my first unit and have to go for a second unit to replace the damaged one.
4) The remaining brands are relatively small in my collection - frankly I think my NG collection worth as much as my entire AV400 777 despite NG having 3 less - which should explains how expensive NG are.

Right around 800; breakdown:

1:200 138 of those: 49% Inflight, 25% Aeroclassics, 17% Gemini Jets, 9% other
1:250 8 all Gemini Jets
1:400 632 of those: 49% Gemini Jets, 42% Aeroclassics, 9% other
1:500 22 of those: 77% Star Jets, 23% Big Bird

Started collecting in January 2001, top airplane type collected would be: 37% DC-8, 12% 707/720, 8% 737, 6% 747, 5 % Convair 880/990, 32 % other. So my collection dates me basically to the beginning of the Jet age for the airlines and shows my age.;)

When I first signed up on the 400 Scale Hangar in 2009 CBL had been a member for some years already. Tons of long-time collectors there with sprawling collections in the 1000s.

When I first started in 2009 I built up my collection to around 50 models and got out as soon as I had all the Viasa releases from 2007. I really couldn't justify the expense so quit cold turkey (I did keep an eye on things and got some of the sporadic Venezuelan releases from the 2010s).

It takes time to build up a collection (and the budget required to fund it). I think the best way to go about it is the "marathon" approach vs. the "sprint" approach.

I personally try to watch out not to fall into a size-measuring contest, as it is a sure way to get carried away and end up with a bunch of useless models. In the end, nobody will give me a prize or trophy.

Another issue is that sometimes an entire year can go by with nothing I really want getting released, so I start looking around for models. just for the sake of it. Luckily I am quite content with the vast majority of my current collection, but I will definitely need to do some realignment (again) in a few years.
I agree with you. And I plan to continue at a marathon a opposed to a sprint. With my limited budget, I may miss a few models that I want, but will hopefully be able to get the models that I consider to be a "must have".

I agree with you. And I plan to continue at a marathon a opposed to a sprint. With my limited budget, I may miss a few models that I want, but will hopefully be able to get the models that I consider to be a "must have".
Patience in collecting is really a virtue. I have periods where I buy nothing and other when I get a haul, it is unpredictable.

Models we miss may show up later at a bargain price. The search is a big part of the fun, sometimes the best one.

Patience in collecting is really a virtue. I have periods where I buy nothing and other when I get a haul, it is unpredictable.

Models we miss may show up later at a bargain price. The search is a big part of the fun, sometimes the best one.
Yeah i have waited a very long time to vet myself a Olympic airways 747 and last year i found one for just 85 USD :) im still looking for some other BB400/AC 747 like an Viasa, American Airlines 747 pan am hybrid and the flying tigers C.A.L. hybrid and some others

This is my main philosophy when buying models. Thanks to multiple factors, I have only ever been able to buy a couple of models a month. This is mostly due to Australia being so bloody expensive, however there are other factors. The search really adds to the thrill of opening a new model. For example; I missed out on a NG Qantas 737 for 198AUD. Yes, that is ridiculously expensive, but it was on the top of my wanted list. Fast forward a couple of months, and I won an auction of the same model for 91AUD. I just want to say that sometimes things happen for a reason, so be patient.

Counting also the one plane that should arrive during the next days, then I have 24 models in total right now.

Since I bought them all last year to start my collection, I want to limit myself to max. one model per month from now on. 😁

I completely agree with you guys and also realized the danger of getting tempted to buying too much planes at a time. But on the other hand sometimes if you want something that’s on your must have list, in the end it’s cheaper to get it as long as it’s available than hunting it down on eBay later on for higher prices.

But it’s a double edged sword, though and limiting myself for the future and also strictly sticking to my collecting criteria I feel is the best way to go for not getting carried away… 😊

Last edited:
I completely agree with you guys and also realized the danger of getting tempted to buying too much planes at a time. But on the other hand sometimes if you want something that’s on your must have list, in the end it’s cheaper to get it as long as it’s available than hunting it down on eBay later on for higher prices.

But it’s a double edged sword, though and limiting myself for the future and also strictly sticking to my collecting criteria I feel is the best way to go for not getting carried away… 😊
I definitely have to limit myself as well. I may have to narrow my criteria even a bit more to make it work.

Currently running at 458 models including the latest January bunch from AC. Space is running out fast and have been collecting 1:400 slowly and patiently since 2007. A very narrow criteria sets the limit but even with that, I'm at breaking point space-wise :ROFLMAO: Most models are AC, BB400, followed by NG, Gemini & and a handful of SMA, JC, AV400/IF400. The DiMA database helps to keep tabs on it all, it's sobering to see the total amount spent so far, but the average cost works out to something like £45 which isn't bad at all with all things considered! Hunting down the old grails I missed has been the hardest part, but it's also the thrill of the chase that keeps the edge going in the hobby, plus the continueing releases which keep the pressure on. Definitely addictive!

Currently running at 458 models including the latest January bunch from AC. Space is running out fast and have been collecting 1:400 slowly and patiently since 2007. A very narrow criteria sets the limit but even with that, I'm at breaking point space-wise :ROFLMAO: Most models are AC, BB400, followed by NG, Gemini & and a handful of SMA, JC, AV400/IF400. The DiMA database helps to keep tabs on it all, it's sobering to see the total amount spent so far, but the average cost works out to something like £45 which isn't bad at all with all things considered! Hunting down the old grails I missed has been the hardest part, but it's also the thrill of the chase that keeps the edge going in the hobby, plus the continueing releases which keep the pressure on. Definitely addictive!
458 models is very impressive. I also have a narrow criteria. Luckily, I'm not running out of space...yet. I should have room for about 500 models, and that's when I'll most likely call it quits.

458 models is very impressive. I also have a narrow criteria. Luckily, I'm not running out of space...yet. I should have room for about 500 models, and that's when I'll most likely call it quits.
Yeah, considering the narrow criteria, it’s still gotten to a substantial number! I do have multiples of some releases for fleet-building (hoping to have a mini-diorama eventually with an ongoing design project in progress), and some others for possible swaps for the difficult ‘grails still to be found.

500 is a nice, round figure! Living in London, space really is at a premium, and it’s a lifestyle choice as we could have somewhere out in the suburbs with more room, but wouldn’t be as happy! I was meant to be winding down a few years back but both NG and AC are keeping me in the game. There’s just been too many classic ‘grails from both of them that couldn’t be missed. Having other hobbies alongside also causes issues 😂 Just too many interests!