Any advice on expanding a collection.

Hello, would like some advice expanding my fleet of 1:400 I would love to expand from the 14 models I currently have as it would be quite nice to have a large collection in the future such as redriveraviation but I know it will take time and lots of money. But I just wanted to know the best way of going through with collecting more models.

Just be patient! If you collect at a continuous rate, you will eventually get there. Buy what you like, and only buy expensive models if you are sure you want them. Good Luck! :)

How to expand a collection is a very personal subject, but ☝️ this is good advice.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a "small" collection as long as it is meaningful and rewarding to you. Nobody is going to give you a trophy based on the number of models you have. Don't just go buy a bunch of models just to have more models. Ideally, you'd want to get models that you can relate with at some level. The common themes are aircraft you have flown on, aircraft that you have seen or photographed, aircraft of historical relevance, aircraft that bring you good memories (nostalgia), etc...

We all like airplanes, so it is easy to get carried away with the monthly releases and what have you, but you'd have to do some soul-searching and find what is it that you truly like personally. I'm no financial advisor, but I'd say it is advisable not to buy models you cannot afford.

Thanks for all the advice it mean a lot as I only started collecting early this year after my love for aviation grew larger and larger! Will definitely have to be patient but I’ll have a awesome collection one day.

I started collecting around two years ago and I only have around 40 models, it takes time to grow but the satisfaction of watching your collection grow is truly worth it!
yep same here about 3 years I've been collecting since 2019 I had around 40 1:400 models now I have about 20 1:400 models and around 10 1:200 models. now I've sold about half my 1:400 collection as you can see but 10 1:200 models are about equal to 20 1:400 models due to them being double the price.

Start collecting for a certian model airport along with whatever other kinds you like. But when I stated collecting for a model airport my collection grew from 20 to over 150 in a few years, also if you have a sibling or parent that is into it it helps, my collection is mostly models I get but almost half is stuff my younger brother and dad havr gotten as there avgeeks aswell so it really is a team effort!

Make sure you know what you want ahead of time. At first I had to have everything. Any new releases, I had to have it. Eventually I figured out my niche, sold what I didn't want and got what I really wanted. I'm still doing that now too. At one point I was all about the ME3 airlines, but have sold all but two off (which I may still do). Same with Russian, sold all but one.

Hello, would like some advice expanding my fleet of 1:400 I would love to expand from the 14 models I currently have as it would be quite nice to have a large collection in the future such as redriveraviation but I know it will take time and lots of money. But I just wanted to know the best way of going through with collecting more models.
This might sound stupid to to you and time consuming but just hear me out
When looking for new models dont just take what you just see at the moment in ebay make a wanted list in DIMA forum database that way you will only spean you money on models you really like and not just stuff you wanted at the moment
And also when you have a model that your Really looking for be patient it can take some time to find it for a good price
You might not have a big collection but rather a smaller one but with some models which you truly like to see on the display.

Make sure you know what you want ahead of time. At first I had to have everything. Any new releases, I had to have it. Eventually I figured out my niche, sold what I didn't want and got what I really wanted. I'm still doing that now too. At one point I was all about the ME3 airlines, but have sold all but two off (which I may still do). Same with Russian, sold all but one.
Very good advice. I had to decide what I wanted, criteria-wise, and stuck with it. If the model didn't fit my collection criteria, I didn't buy it, no matter how "pretty" it was.

Ask yourself what you want to collect: modern? retro? One type of aircraft or one airline? Set a monthly budget and stick to it, because it can be very tempting to buy a lot of models if you don't have any limits yet. Once you've decided what to collect, look on eBay and learn the market. Otherwise you might pay way too much for a model. Plenty of redicilious listings out there...

Ask yourself what you want to collect: modern? retro? One type of aircraft or one airline? Set a monthly budget and stick to it, because it can be very tempting to buy a lot of models if you don't have any limits yet. Once you've decided what to collect, look on eBay and learn the market. Otherwise you might pay way too much for a model. Plenty of redicilious listings out there...
Or post on here for what you're looking for. Collectors help other collectors, whether that be selling from their collections or pointing you in the right direction.

Another important thing to remember is don't buy only from Ebay go online retailers and look here in the forums for members that can help you find it

Another important thing to remember is don't buy only from Ebay go online retailers and look here in the forums for members that can help you find it
Exactly! eBay sellers often sell at ridiculous prices, so if you need a model, look around, there are thousands of online stores that might have what you are looking for.