Aeroclassics January 2024 Releases

I've just ordered both JALs from Jetcollector. If German customs intercepts the parcel again, this will be quite an expensive set of models.

However, despite the low windshields and the extra upper deck window on the -100 there are good reasons to add these two jumbo jets to my collection. First of all both planes JA8102 and JA8155 were regular visitors at Dusseldorf in the late 1980s. And once the extra window on the port side upper deck has been removed (after JAL had switched to grey bellies, most of their 747-100s lost the first passenger upper deck window on the port side) this will be the most accurate reproduction of a 747-146 in 1/400 scale. The chrome belly Big Bird model lacks grey WBFs and the grey area on the lower section of the fuselage.

Last edited:
I was involved in the research for the Navy C-54 to ensure Aeroclassics used fluorescent orange paint and not 'plain orange'. It looks really great with the correct colour.
My Ford Bronco is pretty close to that same color, so Andrew had his swatches and we were holding swatches and the plane up to the Bronco to compare colors and checking before he put it into production. It came out great!

I was involved in the research for the Navy C-54 to ensure Aeroclassics used fluorescent orange paint and not 'plain orange'. It looks really great with the correct colour.
In the photo the model seems to sport two different shades of orange (a lighter one on the tail). Is that a photography issue?

The retailer pool for Aeroclassics seems to be shrinking. Threshold never got the December releases and hasn't shown any signs they'll get the January ones. Aviation Retail Direct in the UK haven't listed any for ages either and were selling off some newish stock at cheap prices at the LHR fair (£15-25).

So far these have only been listed as far as I can tell at ACDirect, Ezytoys and Squatchy's.

Aviation Megastore still stock them in Europe, MyHobbyHouse in Asia plus Buchair, JetCollector & Flying Mule in the US.

Who am I missing in the main markets?

North Pacific Diecast.

Could you post comparison photos with the DW when you get the AC model? I have the DW too and trying to work out if I should get this to replace it. Thanks!
For sure, but it is going to take me a while to get around to that.

In the meantime, if anyone is interested here is a comparison of one of the recent Phoenix AA 763s versus a very old DragonWings.

I'm in two minds about these. I have 747s in all those schemes already and an AA 767-200. Are any of these significantly better or even as good as the versions I have? I'm not sure. I'm not going to replace my Gemini 767-200 with the Aeroclassics version and arguably the Apollo JAL 747 I have is better. The Air Canada and AA 747s I have are Dragon but do these offer that much of an upgrade? Hmmm...

The non-US 767s are all good picks though and I may get the Gabon and Mauritius.

The photo of the Piedmont retro A321 leaves a lot to be desired I'd say:

View attachment 26369
Might as well wait for the GJ one

... They only get limited units of many models it seems.
Yes, MHH receives 3 each afaik. Strangely not Yu ModeL - seems that has a seperate distributor. Until a few years ago, IIRC, MHH was a regular stockist of AC models.

Threshold, I now do recall, has occasionally in the past listed AC releases much later - I recall this from when I'd bought stuff from them late-22-mid-23. But you did mention that previous releases haven't even been listed yet - curious that Canadian stores aren't receiving models from a 'Canadian' company.

AvMgS characteristically lists them much much later - at rare occasions towards the end of the month too.

I understand JetCollector in North America and AvMgS in Europe are the largest stockists of AC for their respective continents......?

Last edited:
The retailer pool for Aeroclassics seems to be shrinking. Threshold never got the December releases and hasn't shown any signs they'll get the January ones. Aviation Retail Direct in the UK haven't listed any for ages either and were selling off some newish stock at cheap prices at the LHR fair (£15-25).

So far these have only been listed as far as I can tell at ACDirect, Ezytoys and Squatchy's.

Aviation Megastore still stock them in Europe, MyHobbyHouse in Asia plus Buchair, JetCollector & Flying Mule in the US.

Who am I missing in the main markets?

I know, Hong Kong isn't a major market, but I think the long withstanding West Main Toys seems to lose interest on Aeroclassics - I have no memory of them trying to stock new Aeroclassics for quite some time now - a quick visit to the shop suggest that the Aeroclassics they have are all old releases that they struggle to sell (in their desired price that is too much for many;)). Chinese markets are also seemingly dropped by AC - a search on taobao with AC just don't come out with anything meaningful to me and a study on the forums that side (Baidu Tieba -客機模型吧 for instance) suggest that Chinese collectors in search for AC these days would head to overseas platform and find ways to get it shipped from the West.🫤

With Hong Kong Island's Airbus shutted it's doors during Covid and Mong Kok's West Main Toys no longer stocks new Aeroclassics - Toymax seems to be the sole retailer left here still selling new AC - and even they seems to be less and less interested in getting AC. (They now features mostly Phoenix and NG - with GJ stocks shrunk massively and AC/AV400/JC all squeezed into one side of a small shelf)🫠🫠 Given the low production runs of AC these days - even they, as a retailer, can't sure if they could get everything they ordered from AC. The ever increasing price also makes AC less and less popular among collectors and their classic-oriented mould catalog do them no favours. The no bells and whistles approach of AC (No antennas/See-through fanblades etc.), coupled with the dreadful QC and lack of research just makes matters worse.

Even I am questioning myself on the order of the JAL 742 in these release after those horrible 742s (I get the THAI and an EL AL - the nose form are so dreadful that I, for the first time, find the nose of PH 747s acceptable when next to them) in the Dec. release🫠🫠🫠 The Mauritius 762, though high on my wishlist, ultimately did not get my order because I don't feel faithful on AC research:censored:

.... as MHH in Malaysia gets quite an amount of stock for each AC models as of late (they got nearly a dozen of VN 762s and all were sold out.....
Would that have been a special case? As they usually get only 3 of each - as far as the past few months go

It's lovely and am considering it though way outside of my criteria - @Ciderman just raised a pertinent query though regarding what appears to be two orange shades on the model - hopefully that's not an error.

Would that have been a special case? As they usually get only 3 of each - as far as the past few months go
For some models released in the past few months, the number is indeed larger than 3. An example of this is the Air India double bogey A320, which is still in stock and was out of stock within a flash elsewhere. They still have the Alitalia and El Al 747s in stock, despite being long disappeared from US stores.

Aviation Megastore still has quite a few of the previous 747s left too, even United. Before they would sell out quickly because of the mould and lack of competition, but now people seem to skip them because of their high price ($76 compared to $56 in the US) and lower quality. Their previous batch with Swissair, SAA, Caledonian etc. were much better, I regret selling the Swissair now lol.

Last edited:
Aviation Megastore's Aeroclassics prices are steep but I'd consider their offerings if I were sure they'll get them.

High price of AC is a huge deterrent. At the same price or maybe at 10pc more on average, the same aircraft type is available but with top-of-the-game quality, detailing and realism. On MHH, for example, both AC and NG A320 families retail at the same price, on Jetcollector there's a mere 10pc difference on average. Given, the subject matter may not be available always or never, but it does call into question why one is paying what one is paying, especially when one is making buying decisions and one doesn't have endless funds. Do I spend on the AC Air Canada A320, or on the NG Avianca Aerogal retro? What will bring me greater joy, if I have to make a choice, and what will be a deep pleasure to see, both up close and from afar? What am I buying for - quality or the mere assurance of knowing 'I have it now' - even though, if an alternative appears on the horizon of a better quality, I will end up buying that too? What would I love taking shots of, in a diorama, without having to cover up defects with airport accessories, and what justifies the expense I'm making?
Just to add - on MHH, AC 747s are priced at 225-235 MYR (PH 747s are similarly priced). NG's 747-8s are priced at 245-260. Whenever their 747 classics arrive, this is a good yardstick for their price. And good justification to wait for later.

Last edited: