Aeroclassics February 2024 release

:D Great find! And yet it isn't what Aeroclassics produced. Although it's probably the closest you can get. By adding the silver section on the radome, interrupting the cheatline and changing the reg you would come up with a correct rendition of 733PA.

Let the customisation games begin.:cool: BTW, I removed the first window on the portside upper deck of JA8102 from last month's release set to make it reflect the mid 1980s / early 1990s.

:D Great find! And yet it isn't what Aeroclassics produced. Although it's probably the closest you can get. By adding the silver section on the radome, interrupting the cheatline and changing the reg you would come up with a correct rendition of 733PA.

Let the customisation games begin.:cool: BTW, I removed the first window on the portside upper deck of JA8102 from last month's release set to make it reflect the mid 1980s / early 1990s.
Welcome! That's it, I know it doesn't match the model exactly but indeed it's the closest so far I thought :)

That's great, I like custom jobs like that. I've been thinking to paint the pylons silver at some point and sort the corroguard out as well, when I can motivate myself to do it!

Finally, a Pan Am 747 with the large bold font and thin cheatline, the prototypical look of the '70's. This has never been done before on the BB400 tooling, so that's been a very long time coming. Also nice to see a correct 'BOAC' 747 with consistent typeface, in contrast to the BB400 attempt years back. Up until now only Gemini had that right on their even earlier 1999-2000 era release.
Thanks to my input that BOAC 747 would have been full of errors! At last we finally got the font correct! Hard to check everything from artwork based on a poor photo though!

Last edited:
Thanks to my input that BOAC 747 would have been full of errors! At last we finally have an accurate one!
The 'BOAC' cock-up on the original BB400 release was a thorn in the side for a long time, so I'm thankful your input has at least resulted in getting that finally corrected (y)

The 'BOAC' cock-up on the original BB400 release was a thorn in the side for a long time, so I'm thankful your input has at least resulted in getting that finally corrected (y)
Indeed but checking artwork and then getting the Chinese workers to make corrections is another thing! Some things just don't get done! ( bangs head on wall!)

Welcome! That's it, I know it doesn't match the model exactly but indeed it's the closest so far I thought :)

That's great, I like custom jobs like that. I've been thinking to paint the pylons silver at some point and sort the corroguard out as well, when I can motivate myself to do it!
Here we go...JA8102 was delivered with three windows on both sides of the upper deck. However, the first one on the port side was later plugged around the time or shortly after the belly had been painted grey. I used a paint remover to reproduce that look.

Attachments

• IMG_4347.JPG
    IMG_4347.JPG
    767.1 KB · Views: 31
Here we go...JA8102 was delivered with three windows on both sides of the upper deck. However, the first one on the port side was later plugged around the time or shortly after the belly had been painted grey. I used a paint remover to reproduce that look.

Glad it worked. In my experience paint removers will remove ALL the paint when applied to Aeroclassics models.

That’s a really tidy job, looks like it was printed like that originally. Detail differences such as this are really interesting to replicate and add that extra level of authenticity to a specific period - having a grey belly version made was very handy then in this regard 🙏

Paint remover near models always makes me extremely anxious, previous experience has taught me to dilute it first!!

Glad it worked. In my experience paint removers will remove ALL the paint when applied to Aeroclassics models.
Yes, I’ve had disaster in the past as well! I since learnt to dilute it a bit first with water, and dab very gradually with a q-tip, with one end also soaked in water for quick mop up. Tricky thing is getting the ratio right, just enough to remove the area of pad print but not what’s underneath, including the varnish.

Indeed but checking artwork and then getting the Chinese workers to make corrections is another thing! Some things just don't get done! ( bangs head on wall!)
I can only imagine the frustration of being involved in that process! So much is beyond your control 🙏

It very much depends on the model. If the belly is polished any liquid remover is a no go because it will remove the base paint as well. If the model is completely spray painted the print can be safely removed with a paint remover. What always works and is relatively safe is a soft white rubber. I use both methods regularly.

Thanks to my input that BOAC 747 would have been full of errors! At last we finally got the font correct! Hard to check everything from artwork based on a poor photo though!
Ordered 1 from ARD within minutes of going up online. Excited for its arrival, thank you for your input

Even though the final model of the Pan Am 741 is not as accurate as we would love it to be, I really do appreciate everyone’s insights and attention to detail. I learn so much from reading all of your responses! I just want to say a big thank you for having a group of
collector’s who share their knowledge with each other. I love “nerding out” with all of you on these topics.

Even though the final model of the Pan Am 741 is not as accurate as we would love it to be, I really do appreciate everyone’s insights and attention to detail. I learn so much from reading all of your responses! I just want to say a big thank you for having a group of
collector’s who share their knowledge with each other. I love “nerding out” with all of you on these topics.

I agree! It's simply wonderful to see so much aviation knowledge being shared! 🤓✅