2023 Review: Your Model of the Year

interesting topic must say.
quick check i've purchased 42 models this year, which i will be giving awards in several categories based on personal preference.
e.g. Release of the year, value for money of the year, innovation of the year, and bust of the year etc.
getting excited by just thinking about it.

interesting topic must say.
quick check i've purchased 42 models this year, which i will be giving awards in several categories based on personal preference.
e.g. Release of the year, value for money of the year, innovation of the year, and bust of the year etc.
getting excited by just thinking about it.
I am eager to your post and love how you got many categories to share with us!

And to all members having shared their experience: a BIG THANK YOU for your contribution. I am so delighted that this topic is well-received. I should post mine soon, from my quick calculation I nearly reach 3 figures for the number of models accumulated this year (bought, gift, exchange) and that amazed me a lot. But I think that my model of the year might be the same with the replies above.

Though I started this thread, I haven’t had enough time to compose a comprehensive 2023 review! With all the hustle and bustle from uni fades “a bit” away, I would like to share my list of the best models released this year by various manufacturers and categories. You might have seen this exact post on my personal Instagram account but due to word limitations, I would like to share it more thoroughly on this thread (I am typing this thread on the bus to my uni). I have bought quite a hefty amount of model this year, which is a few models short from 3 digits (yikes! - 2 will be coming prior the new year and I am eager to share with you!!!). The reason for this extravagant number is due to the good deals I encountered (I seldomly buy models at their original price or not being discounted). The criteria applies for brands that I have bought for more than 1 example this year (sorry GJ, AV, HYJL and the incoming AC). The majority of 2023 new releases I got coming from NGModels (I was kinda surprised how this turned out because I thought I have bought a lot of PMs). Alas but honorable mention to HYJL and their Juneyao A321neo standard scheme which is well represented. Some of the shots are shadows in the sunrise (I hope you like those shots too). Starting the list with a model that many collectors praised:
- Classic of the Year: NGModels Cathay Pacific L1011-1 VR-HHK “1st release - long eng.2 exhaust” in the classy Lettuce Sandwich livery. The classic livery is finally represented on the best L-1011 mould on the market. The model came with horizontal stab and wing detached, but after those issues were fixed it is still a wonderful one! Without the shortcomings, it should have the title “Best Model Overall of the Year”.
IMG_0293.jpeg
Hello from the other sides with the other L-1011s I got this year! You can guess where they will appear next!
IMG_0139.jpeg
- A brand that many neglects but had a blast this year with the variety of airlines and models offered: Phoenix Ilyushin OKB Ilyushin IL-96-300 RF-96007. This model is beautifully crafted with all issues found on previous IL96-300 fixed - higher mid main landing gears, too high printed window lines (It’s great that PHX listened to collectors). They already had a head start in 2024 with many nice models presented which I will add in my collection. Phoenix also put put some really obscure subjects this year (from what I bought: Drukair A320neo, Kam Air A343, Air Senegal A339) and they were selling like hotcakes, which is contrary to my expectation (gladly I were able to pick them up before having to sell my kidney, I am joking). And their Feb/Mar 2024 already made me worried.IMG_0177.jpeg
The testbed IL96-300 against the sun. I wish PHX made fuselage mods to this -300 variant to create the -400 ones!
IMG_0292.jpeg
- A young brand with exceptionally high detail and is truly a bargain for its price: PandaModels Russian Navy Tu-134UBL RF-12037 “Tu-160 trainer”. This mould shows a great effort from the brand bringing an unpopular variant to the market! PM is priced marginally lower in the Asian market, which made them super attractive offerings. Their QC is maintained to the highest standard. Also I praised PM’s effort on the A321neo mould to NG’s ones. I am eagerly waiting for their 764 next year and the quality shall be on par with their previous outputs!
IMG_0289.jpeg
- The long player in the market: JCWings with the Aeroflot Ilyushin IL-86 pair (with Russian rego: RA-86074 and Soviet ones: CCCP-86096). A good ol’ mould resurfaced after a long time in storage and is well received by many collectors. The details are great and QC is acceptable (though my CCCP- copy got a detached starboard horizontal stab). JC have access to the widest array of moulds in the scale but hasn’t put them into use the way they should be. The Aeroflot IL86 proved to be popular and with JC’s variant production, I would not be surprised to see more SU 86s. This subject (SU 86) is highly received by many collectors and before the JC ones came out, GJ versions were sold at an arm and a leg!
PenultimateFullSizeRender.jpeg
- Finally, the ultimate prize - the best model overall for 2023 - NGModels SAUDIA Boeing 787-10 HZ-AR32 in the new livery - an aircraft that fits into my main collecting criteria which is done on the high-quality B78X mould. The new livery starts to grow on me. I like how SV goes against the trend by creating a new outlook by modifying the classic scheme! The details are well printed and it looks just amazing, error-less imo! Here is a shot at the tail PoV.
IMG_0288.jpeg
The model is still beautiful despite not showing all of its detail as a result of the camera facing directly at the rising sun.
IMG_0295.jpeg
NGModels has been releasing many great models this year (alongside with variants to them, which makes the market even more diverse). I have been very picky but at last got so many NG new releases in 2023! Despite of some shortcomings (I noticed all of them and has my own opinions about the situation), I would like to praise NG’s efforts on releasing high-quality realistic models. So the last shot is also a silhouette one.
IMG_0296.jpeg
Thank you all for reading my terribly long post! I wish you a nice evening and a nice weekend ahead! I will share my Purchase of the Year in the coming days (and please make a guess which one will be on the list!)

Last edited:
An extension to my Instagram post. For this category of Purchases of the Year, I generally lean towards models made in previous years that I bought this year. 2/3 of the models I got this year were previous years’ releases (my wishlist is shortened). The models are listed in the alphabetical order of the brand:
- Aviation400: a growing new brand with some industry-leading moulds (namely the A380, B77W) at great quality and innovations (magnetic landing gears) but it also came with a cost of overall detail and quality (but not that significant to my eyes). British Airways A380-841 G-XLEL made in 2022 is the title holder for this category.
IMG_0307.jpeg
The model was commissioned by ARD shop in London and licensed by BA themselves, thus command a really high price (around 40% higher than regular releases) but thanks to Pre-Single Day sale, I was able to acquire this beauty!
IMG_0344.jpeg
- HYJLWings: though I only got 2 HYJL models this year but Capital Airlines A321-231WL B-8187 is outstanding. Great quality and at a decent price is a no-brainer! Glad that I was swift enough to get this beauty. HYJL’s A321 is actually a separate mould from the ones from NG and it is nicer actually! The brand usually makes model in very low volume. And it came with a nice wooden box with a ground mat as well, really really nice!
IMG_0187.jpeg
- JC Wings: I got many nice JC Wings this year but this BIMAN Bangladesh B787-8 Dreamliner S2-AJT. I always liked BIMAN but only the 788 as the 789 is too common. It is actually increasingly rare to get BIMAN 788!
IMG_0310.jpeg
Here is a shot against the sun:
IMG_0312.jpeg
- Phoenix: the highlight of today’s post must be this Amazon Prime Air B767-300BDSF(WL) N1381A. A long sought-after model by many, especially US collectors. This model commands extremely high price and I was fortunate enough to acquire without an arm and a leg! Some collectors later knew the shop I got and bought the model as well! IMG_0309.jpeg
IMG_0315.jpeg
- PandaModels: a model ticked off my wishlist - Batik Air Malaysia B737 Max 8 9M-LRC. When it was available at great discount, I neglected it since the MAX was grounded at that time. Fast forward to this year when the airline puts the type back into service, I eagerly look for one and this was the only option before the NG version appears. However I prefer this more than the NG ones due to the batik pattern winglets.
IMG_0308.jpeg
IMG_0313.jpeg
- Lastly, the only 2023-manufactured model, from a brand largely unknown to the Western world - Air China B747-89L B-2487 by YY Wings. The mould is largely identical to that of GJ/JC. However the gear struts are constructed out of plastic and not metal! It sure looks good!
IMG_0330.jpeg

Thank you so much for reading. I haven’t mentioned a brand in today’s post and that brand shall appear tomorrow in a special post! What is your favorite model in this set?

Last edited:
This should be the conclusive post for the best models I got this year. Last year I started my Iconic Classic collection with the 747-300 and this year is the year of trijet. Without further ado, I would to introduce the ultimate best purchases I made in 2023: the Tristars. Though having been on the market for quite some time (4+ years I assume), I have yet to get any NG's Tristar until this year (as I am keen on collecting modern aircraft and do not have enough fund to allocate for my favorite classic). I consider my 2 old release Tristars to be the best arrivals particularly because of the subject and their price (this is a key factor for not only me but many other collectors) - I got the Eastern and Delta a tad higher than usual but by not so much (I admit I was lucky, though the DL was a roller-coaster of emotions). Here are some pics to conclude my take on this thread!
Starting off with a backlit shot of all Tristars I got in 2023!
IMG_20231231_183237_330-01.jpeg
Here is the Eastern L1011-1 N309EA in the white Hockeystick livery.
IMG_20231231_183237_434-01.jpeg
The Delta L1011-1 N725DA in the iconic Widget scheme.
IMG_20231231_183237_505-01.jpeg
Seeing the noses!
IMG_20231231_183237_270-01.jpeg
Close-up and backlit of the Eastern.
IMG_20231231_183237_218-01.jpeg
Finally, side shot of all 3 Tristars.
IMG_20231231_183237_062-01.jpeg

Finally, I would like to wish you and your family a Happy New Year of 2024! May your collection grow even more (I have to limit myself in 2024 due to a possible move internationally - I am still waiting for the result).