Your thoughts on AeroClassics

I don't think there's anything more to contribute to what has already been said, but I'm still going to give my 2 cents haha.

I love Aeroclassics, the only thing I could add to what has already been stated is that I really don't mind most models missing aerials.
It's only the larger models of 737/A320 size and up - especially the widebodies, with the exception of the L-1011 perhaps, would instantly be the best in their class if only aerials were added to them.

The DC9-10 mold desperately needs to be updated, or be redone by another manufacturer.

Indeed the DC-9-10 is a massive gap and back when AK was talking to me on a friendly basis I pushed for this often, however I would be surprised if we ever saw another new mould from Aeroclassics ever again given the circumstances, which is a shame. He always said he was happy with his gen 1 DC-9-10s - which are obviously nice as a model for the time but worthless nowadays as a 400 scale effort

Aeroclassics models break collecting down to it's true subjective nature. You have to like what you're buying, despite objective faults.

To me, the biggest pro of Aeroclassics is how the company is not discouraged by obscure models. They will produce many things that can often be passed off as "non-profitable", to the benefit of collectors with obscure taste. Moreover, I think some of their moulds, despite lacking modern features like aerials, are still fantastic moulds. The A300, DC-10, DC-9, and more recently with the new 737-200, are all great in their own regards. The 737-200 especially, since it now features a one-piece fuselage and sports a fantastic profile. The A320 family (save neos) is also a satisfactory set of airplanes.

The cons, of course, are readily apparent with not a whole lot of inspection. The printing is inferior on some examples and the model really does falter if you take more than a few glances, not to mention how overall model quality can have large variations within each individual release. Some moulds are questionable at best, especially the newer ones. (But if you want new models I'm not really sure why you're buying from a "classics" company)

Overall, I find myself regularly considering AC models. I love the character of airplanes from the days-gone-by and they do a great job of keeping me in line for their next release.

classic airliners are essential to a good collection of airliners, and Aeroclassics has been at the forefront of these collections’ development providing the best they can offer. But I wish, not necessarily by others but for Aeroclassics to step up the level of details on their models, including expanding printed features, adding aerials when possible and improving gear along with the release of new and improved molds. Even of those models they already have. If this manufacturer won’t do it, may anybody else do, Gemini, JC, NG, AV, someone new, whoever. AC has many good moulds they can keep pushing but there are many they should update. If they cannot or will not, then let others offer the L-1011s, A300s, L-188s, etc that AC and frankly other manufacturers have forgotten.

I really do like Aeroclassics, and I have almost 100 of their models now. They have the best DC-9-30/40and 50 mould by far, and I would love to see a DC-9-10 series mould and an MD-80 mould. I'm not holding my breath though.

Last edited:
I’m glad to see so many positive and objective comments about Aeroclassics. There is really nothing I can add really to what have been said about them. I also got started in 1:400 with Aeroclassics models (Viasa) and I haven’t checked lately, but I think they are still the number one brand in my collection, not because I purposefully try to collect them, but because they just produce what resonates with me the most. I have two recent Aeroclassics pending unboxing and a handful more on the way. I do hope they catch a second wind 🙂

I agree with this, AeroClassics has many pros. I hope to see them develop on them going into the future!
I don't really need AeroClassics to develop into anything revolutionary, I would be pleased if they could just go back to making models the same way they were making them 10 years ago, when I could handle their models without fear of lacerating myself with the nose cone 😆.

Attachments

• DSC_0508.jpg
    DSC_0508.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
I don't really need AeroClassics to develop into anything revolutionary, I would be pleased if they could just go back to making models the same way they were making them 10 years ago, when I could handle their models without fear of lacerating myself with the nose cone 😆.
Ouch!

Aeroclassics models break collecting down to it's true subjective nature. You have to like what you're buying, despite objective faults.

To me, the biggest pro of Aeroclassics is how the company is not discouraged by obscure models. They will produce many things that can often be passed off as "non-profitable", to the benefit of collectors with obscure taste.
Excuse me? I don't have 'obscure taste'! I regards my tastes as knowledgable, discernable and nostaligic.

This is a fair point, many different view points here. Can't complain about simple, especially if done right.

I personally think they are a good company, they serve different niches in the industry which are unserved. I have some models from them and I really like them, though they are lacking in detail.

I personally think they are a good company, they serve different niches in the industry which are unserved. I have some models from them and I really like them, though they are lacking in detail.

They certainly don't go for high detail and precision, but rather for nostalgia. The quality has been slipping recently, which is a shame because as you said, they serve an important niche.

This is a fair point, many different view points here. Can't complain about simple, especially if done right.

Exactly, a lot of models don't need a whole lot of detail as long as all the important elements of the livery are properly represented and the mould is nice enough.