United Livery

ghqv2988

Does United have any plans to phase out their merger livery anytime soon? These planes look so nice, especially when side by side with their modern blue counterparts. The variety brings out so much uniqueness to the fleet, and it would be sad to see these all repainted one day!

They’ve been repainting most of their fleet for a while now. I would say about 100-150 aircraft have been repainted as a vague estimate. Keep in mind United has over 800 aircraft across multiple types so it will be a long time before UA has every aircraft repainted.

Is there any sort of contractual thing in terms of the length of time they need to reflect the Continental branding ?

Does United have any plans to phase out their merger livery anytime soon? These planes look so nice, especially when side by side with their modern blue counterparts. The variety brings out so much uniqueness to the fleet, and it would be sad to see these all repainted one day!
Hopefully they will keep some in the CO merger livery, they do have a Stars and Bars and an old CO livery as heritage liveries, so it all makes sense. While my personal preference is the Evo Blue, it's sad to see the merger livery go.

I really hope that sometime in the future United will adopt a new color scheme that somehow features the "Tulip" that appeared on the tail from the Saul Bass, battleship gray, and the "Blue tulip" schemes up until the Continental merger. Although the "evo blue" isn't bad, it would be awesome with the tulip sitting prominently on the tail.

They are actually doing it really fast way better than the snails pace from Westjet and air canada

I have mixed views on this. I really like Evo Blue, but I miss seeing the Tulip on UA tails. I think they need to shed or at least lessen the Continental look so that the old UA can shine through.

I found this image online, and I think it fits. I feel it sort of pays homage to the final pre-merger livery as well as acknowledging Evo Blue and CO at the same time:

AQMPVpcWzWxjCMV-1600x900-noPad.jpg

I have mixed views on this. I really like Evo Blue, but I miss seeing the Tulip on UA tails. I think they need to shed or at least lessen the Continental look so that the old UA can shine through.

I found this image online, and I think it fits. I feel it sort of pays homage to the final pre-merger livery as well as acknowledging Evo Blue and CO at the same time:

It would be great if they used that one.

This might actually work very well on UAL aircraft. Maybe some signs of good friendship on the plane too.

Mind you it's always been important to reflect the brandings of both airlines since the merger in 2010 and I think that was decided upon so that it didn't appear as a takeover, much unlike previous mergers where one airline disappeared effectively (Northwest and TWA).

In this case Continental was the bigger business, but the better known brand was United. Therefore if nowadays a livery associated with a pre-merger United, or elements of are reintroduced, it starts to look like a corporate takeover again ? Maybe something completely original is required with no references to previous days ?

Mind you it's always been important to reflect the brandings of both airlines since the merger in 2010 and I think that was decided upon so that it didn't appear as a takeover, much unlike previous mergers where one airline disappeared effectively (Northwest and TWA).

In this case Continental was the bigger business, but the better known brand was United. Therefore if nowadays a livery associated with a pre-merger United, or elements of are reintroduced, it starts to look like a corporate takeover again ? Maybe something completely original is required with no references to previous days ?
Yeah that sounds agreeable and makes one think about the merits of a 'fresh' identity. Just like what the Saul Bass livery did.

As much as we all feel, the globe is not going anywhere. The Evo blue is great and should have been the livery released at merger time imo. i love the tulip and its United, but as a continental fan i will always have an affection for the globe

I also think the Globe signifies their slogan of Connecting the People and Uniting The World through their immersive route network. It does make sense after all.