Storing and Displaying Models

Bulgogi77

How do you all store your models? I recently got a nice new job :) , which has enabled me to have the funds to really build a 1:400 collection, which I've wanted to do for a long time. I don't really have a proper set up for displaying my models. What are some good shelves or bookcases for model storage/display?

There is very little that is suitable for displaying 400 scale models available as standard. Glass and metal cabinets with doors are definitely the best way but commonly available ones like the Detolf from Ikea are too narrow and don't have enough shelves. Most of my collection is in ex-shop stock display cases that I've been lucky to find quite cheap. As new they are terribly expensive.

I actually prefer the Ikea Kallax wood units with the glass shelf and door add-ins to the Detolf myself but once again they are very limited in size, which makes arranging things well a challenge.

Here is my display. One big and one small Ikea Billy book case with glass doors. I have had about 450 models displayed at same time in this.
Now I have sold some 80 models so there is plenty of space for new models coming in. Photo is from 2021.

Steinar
Ikea Billy display case.jpg

I use the Ikea Billy cases with glass doors too. Should think about to replace the wooden shelves with glass shelves. Good idea Steinar!

I have used a number of Ikea products. By far my favorite for 1:400 models is the Klingsbo.

Recent photo of part of my setup:

1697856105333.png

Klingsbo on the left, two modified Detolfs on the right. Cropped like that because the lower shelf on the Klingsbo is empty. It is a pain to modify the Detolfs. And even then, the shelves are too narrow. Klingsbo is good to go out of the box, love them.

As IKEA isn't a big and dominating furniture chain here in Vietnam, most of our display cases are custom-built by either carpenters or ironworkers. For my case, the cabinet frame is made out of aluminium with wooden pattern paints, glass shelves and doors. A total of 10 shelves are present and are divided into 2 halves: the lower section houses my 1:500-1:600-1:1000, old China-made models, toys, models sold in Vietnam airports, broken models due to young age, e.t.c. I dedicated the upper half for all of my 1:400, with some die-cast and plastic 1:200, which are presents. I do not count how many models I have in my collection - for me the joy lies within each model, not the number that I got (but I kept track of how many I got this year thanks to MAF new arrival section). I must say I am not really well-organized, a bit messy to be honest (I also put moist absorbers alongside of the model since Vietnam is quite humid). I try to squeeze as many models as possible because the space is constrained - which poses many problems I need to deal with when getting them out to take photos. I am in need of more display stands! Models are arranged into themes - can anyone guess which theme for which of the five upper shelves?

20231023_205056_HDR.jpg
P/s: I have been collecting aircraft for really really long, since the age of 5 or so with all of the toys. I got into the road of 1:400 in 2015 or so and the collection kept growing since then. Only the recent 3 years when I am at the university do I have the chance to expand my interest more and more thanks to my allowance.

I have really no other place where I would put this so bumping this will do for now.

Acquired a small narrow bookshelf to store some of my “obscure” models if you will. Just some of the lone scales, being a Skymarks DC-3 (this model is new however no thread where I thought it was appropriate to post so ended up not), miscellaneous DL 717, NG A321 that’s slightly damaged, plane tags with N143DA to match, and the two NG CRJ-200s for fun.

IMG_3579.jpeg
IMG_3580.jpeg

This was only $28 at Target and was a quick assembly, decent build quality and overall nice for what it is. There’s also a taller version (same height as my recent china cabinet) that goes for $40.

I have really no other place where I would put this so bumping this will do for now.

Acquired a small narrow bookshelf to store some of my “obscure” models if you will. Just some of the lone scales, being a Skymarks DC-3 (this model is new however no thread where I thought it was appropriate to post so ended up not), miscellaneous DL 717, NG A321 that’s slightly damaged, plane tags with N143DA to match, and the two NG CRJ-200s for fun.

View attachment 28817
View attachment 28818

This was only $28 at Target and was a quick assembly, decent build quality and overall nice for what it is. There’s also a taller version (same height as my recent china cabinet) that goes for $40.

Didn't know SkyMarks had a DC-3, looks good!

ironically I purchased 317 models last year but just display them inside the box due to space constraint :ROFLMAO:. Hope sometime I will be able to have them collect dust as least

There is more than one approach to this hobby. Buying models is a very pleasurable activity in and of itself. It is short-lived pleasure though, and the next model needs to be purchased to get the next dopamine rush. It is probably a good thing to keep them boxed in this situation, in that way it is a bit easier to resale them to make space for the next set of arrivals. The Sam Leung collecting style if you will.

Then one could also be more selective when purchasing models but put the collection to work, be it by displaying them, making dioramas, writing something about the models, making them a central piece of your home for visitors to enjoy, etc.

Richard mixes both approaches described above. He buys a shit-load of models and also keeps the collection hard at work.

Last edited:
I want to have all my 450 models easily accessible for e.g. photo shoot. It's another dimension of the hobby. That’s why I keep all my models on display in a cabinet.

Didn't know SkyMarks had a DC-3, looks good!

There is more than one approach to this hobby. Buying models is a very pleasurable activity in and of itself. It is short-lived pleasure though, and the next model needs to be purchased to get the next dopamine rush. It is probably a good thing to keep them boxed in this situation, in that way it is a bit easier to resale them to make space for the next set of arrivals. The Sam Leung collecting style if you will.

Then one could also be more selective when purchasing models but put the collection to work, be it by displaying them, making dioramas, writing something about the models, making them a central piece of your home for visitors to enjoy, etc.

Richard mixes both approaches described above. He buys a shit-load of models and also keeps the collection hard at work.
Thanks for the interesting points. I think I will def start pivoting towards the second approach once I move in coming Aug when I will have plenty of space. In fact it's the strategy for me in the past, around 10 years ago, I made many airports for display at the time. Since I've just picked up the hobby again a year ago and live in a small space that wasn't possible.

Picked me up another shelf, this time a five shelf one, although I had extra shelves lying around so it’s more than that. Needed this for a bit of extra room, seems like I already filled it up but i’ll compress everything when needed. I’m going to keep my more “prized” models in the actual display cabinet (all of mine are prized just more than others lol) and some more of the dupes and such on the white one. I did also get another small one like the shown before for yet more storage. I plan to install some black shelves I have lying around above them and hopefully that should be all I need for a while.

IMG_3624.jpeg
IMG_3625.jpeg