Re-Displaying the Collection After Moving

Jazajia

It's been hectic around here during the past few months. The move has been a formidable learning experience, and to top it off a hurricane went right through Houston last week. It is far from being our first rodeo, but it certainly put us through the wringer.

Nonetheless, during the three days we spent without electrical power, I managed to set up the bulk of my 1:400 collection.

Back at our old place, I had 5 glass towers. At the new place, I set up a sixth one, but thanks to a more spread display, plus the addition of several new arrivals that had not been displayed, all the shelves have been taken up.

Since I have not had the time to take individual photos of new arrivals and whatnot, I decided to share some shots of the new displays while pointing out some of the new additions (and subtractions) in the collection:

First, one of my favorite cabinets is the Central and Northern Europe shelf.

From top to bottom:

- British Airways - I used to have a rather crowded BA Landor shelf, with all the non-Landor ones on a different low-level shelf. I was considering getting rid of my non-Landor BA models, but decided to give them a new chance by integrating them with the rest of the BA fleet on top-level shelves. I also spent several hours before I arrived at this final arrangement that I really like; it ensures that each model is as visible as possible.

- KLM - Similar to the previous set up, but since I had the luxury to start from scratch the display looks more relaxed. I will need to squeeze in one of the recent Phoenix MD-11s that I have on pre-order.

- Lufthansa - That shelve hosts the recent Aeroclassics 741 D-ABYC. Some models have been removed from it also: the recent Phoenix A346 and A342 as they look quite ridiculous with the pre-1979 yellow used on the disc, plus other minor issues with those models. Also, a Herpa 707 is no longer displayed. Not sure what the faith of those models will be.

- Other European Models - I'm liking the bottom shelve a lot as it is not very crowded and has tons of color. There is an Aviation400 ITA A359 that I got during a recent visit to Singapore and had not shared nor displayed before. Other first-time displays include the recent Virgin 741 by BBMk.3, and the Phoenix Lauda 763

DSC_3557.jpg

Close-up of the BA shelves. The Herpa Landor Concorde and the GJ Holland Tail do not have stand holes. The recent Phoenix Landor 763 is a first-time display. The Negus Concorde facing the other way is doing so to hide the Singapore titles on the port side. I like how the old Landor GJ 772 fits in with the more recent NGs Chelsea Rose and Chatham.

I was going to get rid of some of the Landor L1011s, but I think it is a good display of "the good, the bad and the ugly" of 1/400 scale with BlueBox, Aeroclassics and NG present.

DSC_3559.jpg

Another cabinet that I spend a lot of time looking at is my South American tower, which also includes some "other North American" subjects on the low-level shelves (not visible in the photo):

- Some Aeromexico has been removed leaving only a DC-8 (pre-1980s CCS visitor), plus that super cool DC-10 that I just need to keep. Also kept only old Varig, and packed away the Panda 734s and some random AC 762s in Varig's newer colors.

- The Avianca shelve looks identical to what it looked like before, but the GJ 763 has been replaced with the recent Phoenix one.

- I always thought I was going to have a neat Latin-Narrowbody shelf dominated by LatinClassic 727s, but things have evolved differently. There you can see the recent Lacsa A320 by AvGeek (Panda) along with the older El Aviador releases. There is also space to accommodate the LAB 763 that Phoenix recently announced behind the company 722.

- Ecuador has its dedicated shelve now, which I love with all the colors and cool classics, some of which were a headache to find. You can see the two recent TAME 722s and my SAETA custom.

- On the Argentina shelf you can see the recent Phoenix A342 in the Iberia-style livery. That one was a challenge as it came with a broken NLG and I first had to carefully remove a chunk of old glue before fitting it in. Now it looks all spiffy there. One model on that shelf will have to go on a stand soon to make space for the recently announced Phoenix A343 in the Marsans livery.

DSC_3560.jpg

Close-up of the Ecuador shelf:

And yes, that's a Herpa Golden 707 right there in the center front row. For those of you who have issues with the NLG, I will gladly accept an Aeroclassics example from you guys (as a donation of course), in the meantime, I am quite pleased with this one.

DSC_3561.jpg

While I was here I tilted the camera to the right to show the "random cargo" shelve, which is located on the (mostly) Cargo Tower (not shown here). The soviet shelve (mostly Cubana now) can also be seen. I wanted to show the recent Everts Air Cargo MD-80 by GJ. I get to see them often in Anchorage, pretty cool.

DSC_3562.jpg

Finally the North American Tower.

On the top shelf, you can see a pretty new second-hand acquisition: That Pan Am Billboard 741 by DW on its stand. One of the Billboard 722s is also a first time display from a recent Waffle sale. On the PA old colors shelf you can spot the recent 707 by BigBird Mk.3.

Below, on the AA shelves, an old GJ 777 is no longer there, and American Eagle has moved to another location, but two out of the three recent NG MD-80s have joined my DW and GJ examples. Those shelves need better organization; I have more raisers and stands on the way.

DSC_3564.jpg

You have gotten a glimpse of four of the six towers. There is also a Venezuelan tower, of course, and a Euro/North-American tower that also hosts ANA.

Really liking the new setup, it is located in an open room and the collection is visible from many areas of the home, which is something I have always wanted to do, incorporate the collection with the rest of the home and not just keep it in my cave.

Collecting habits will also change. While there is room for expansion, the option of "moving to a bigger place" is no longer there. I will have to start to do some trimming from time to time, and more replacing instead of expansion. I also like the less crowded shelves and really want to minimize overpacking them, not something easy to do.

Cheers,

It's been hectic around here during the past few months. The move has been a formidable learning experience, and to top it off a hurricane went right through Houston last week. It is far from being our first rodeo, but it certainly put us through the wringer.

Nonetheless, during the three days we spent without electrical power, I managed to set up the bulk of my 1:400 collection.

Back at our old place, I had 5 glass towers. At the new place, I set up a sixth one, but thanks to a more spread display, plus the addition of several new arrivals that had not been displayed, all the shelves have been taken up.

Since I have not had the time to take individual photos of new arrivals and whatnot, I decided to share some shots of the new displays while pointing out some of the new additions (and subtractions) in the collection:

First, one of my favorite cabinets is the Central and Northern Europe shelf.

From top to bottom:

- British Airways - I used to have a rather crowded BA Landor shelf, with all the non-Landor ones on a different low-level shelf. I was considering getting rid of my non-Landor BA models, but decided to give them a new chance by integrating them with the rest of the BA fleet on top-level shelves. I also spent several hours before I arrived at this final arrangement that I really like; it ensures that each model is as visible as possible.

- KLM - Similar to the previous set up, but since I had the luxury to start from scratch the display looks more relaxed. I will need to squeeze in one of the recent Phoenix MD-11s that I have on pre-order.

- Lufthansa - That shelve hosts the recent Aeroclassics 741 D-ABYC. Some models have been removed from it also: the recent Phoenix A346 and A342 as they look quite ridiculous with the pre-1979 yellow used on the disc, plus other minor issues with those models. Also, a Herpa 707 is no longer displayed. Not sure what the faith of those models will be.

- Other European Models - I'm liking the bottom shelve a lot as it is not very crowded and has tons of color. There is an Aviation400 ITA A359 that I got during a recent visit to Singapore and had not shared nor displayed before. Other first-time displays include the recent Virgin 741 by BBMk.3, and the Phoenix Lauda 763

View attachment 31170

Close-up of the BA shelves. The Herpa Landor Concorde and the GJ Holland Tail do not have stand holes. The recent Phoenix Landor 763 is a first-time display. The Negus Concorde facing the other way is doing so to hide the Singapore titles on the port side. I like how the old Landor GJ 772 fits in with the more recent NGs Chelsea Rose and Chatham.

I was going to get rid of some of the Landor L1011s, but I think it is a good display of "the good, the bad and the ugly" of 1/400 scale with BlueBox, Aeroclassics and NG present.

View attachment 31171

Another cabinet that I spend a lot of time looking at is my South American tower, which also includes some "other North American" subjects on the low-level shelves (not visible in the photo):

- Some Aeromexico has been removed leaving only a DC-8 (pre-1980s CCS visitor), plus that super cool DC-10 that I just need to keep. Also kept only old Varig, and packed away the Panda 734s and some random AC 762s in Varig's newer colors.

- The Avianca shelve looks identical to what it looked like before, but the GJ 763 has been replaced with the recent Phoenix one.

- I always thought I was going to have a neat Latin-Narrowbody shelf dominated by LatinClassic 727s, but things have evolved differently. There you can see the recent Lacsa A320 by AvGeek (Panda) along with the older El Aviador releases. There is also space to accommodate the LAB 763 that Phoenix recently announced behind the company 722.

- Ecuador has its dedicated shelve now, which I love with all the colors and cool classics, some of which were a headache to find. You can see the two recent TAME 722s and my SAETA custom.

- On the Argentina shelf you can see the recent Phoenix A342 in the Iberia-style livery. That one was a challenge as it came with a broken NLG and I first had to carefully remove a chunk of old glue before fitting it in. Now it looks all spiffy there. One model on that shelf will have to go on a stand soon to make space for the recently announced Phoenix A343 in the Marsans livery.

View attachment 31172

Close-up of the Ecuador shelf:

And yes, that's a Herpa Golden 707 right there in the center front row. For those of you who have issues with the NLG, I will gladly accept an Aeroclassics example from you guys (as a donation of course), in the meantime, I am quite pleased with this one.

View attachment 31173

While I was here I tilted the camera to the right to show the "random cargo" shelve, which is located on the (mostly) Cargo Tower (not shown here). The soviet shelve (mostly Cubana now) can also be seen. I wanted to show the recent Everts Air Cargo MD-80 by GJ. I get to see them often in Anchorage, pretty cool.

View attachment 31174

Finally the North American Tower.

On the top shelf, you can see a pretty new second-hand acquisition: That Pan Am Billboard 741 by DW on its stand. One of the Billboard 722s is also a first time display from a recent Waffle sale. On the PA old colors shelf you can spot the recent 707 by BigBird Mk.3.

Below, on the AA shelves, an old GJ 777 is no longer there, and American Eagle has moved to another location, but two out of the three recent NG MD-80s have joined my DW and GJ examples. Those shelves need better organization; I have more raisers and stands on the way.

View attachment 31175

You have gotten a glimpse of four of the six towers. There is also a Venezuelan tower, of course, and a Euro/North-American tower that also hosts ANA.

Really liking the new setup, it is located in an open room and the collection is visible from many areas of the home, which is something I have always wanted to do, incorporate the collection with the rest of the home and not just keep it in my cave.

Collecting habits will also change. While there is room for expansion, the option of "moving to a bigger place" is no longer there. I will have to start to do some trimming from time to time, and more replacing instead of expansion. I also like the less crowded shelves and really want to minimize overpacking them, not something easy to do.

Cheers,
Man what would I do to obtain about half of these models you have... very nice setup!