Perennial Question - What is Your Rarest 1:400 Model in Your Collection?

Sadly that’s just the way it is… We should treasure our time with the aircraft we have while we have them… Because one day, they will be gone.
Yeah, like these beloved BA 747’s…here are a couple of my own pictures that I took of them from the old LHR T2 on 8 June 1997, when I was just 14. The good old -136 from the original BOAC order. One can be seen taxiing past the TBE base which I’m currently working on as a 1:400 model. These jumbos used to whistle over my flat in Finchley, North London regularly as they climbed out of Heathrow. All gone now, great memories. Caught the last days of the Landor era.

Attachments

• 274AEC3A-A570-4BCF-A1EE-60ED5784ACF4.jpeg
    274AEC3A-A570-4BCF-A1EE-60ED5784ACF4.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 13
  • 6EB87991-A08B-4C6C-A4F7-4E63A7266D44.jpeg
    6EB87991-A08B-4C6C-A4F7-4E63A7266D44.jpeg
    828.5 KB · Views: 13
Old is gold. Miss seeing Delta Mad Dogs flying around
☝️ Fixed it for you 😉
Me too. Used to see them all the time, and now they're gone. Just like the DC-9s and 727s.
Very few things make me feel the passage of time in the same way the absence of 727s does. It seems so surreal to me that they are practically gone, and that there are already generations of young adults that never got to fly on one... I guess I am actually getting old 😱

☝️ Fixed it for you 😉

Very few things make me feel the passage of time in the same way the absence of 727s does. It seems so surreal to me that they are practically gone, and that there are already generations of young adults that never got to fly on one... I guess I am actually getting old 😱
I know what you mean. I literally used to see 727s every single day...either at the airport or flying over my house. I'm just glad I got to fly on a few of them. Same with the DC-9-s

For rare models, I'll go by what I see online like ebay and such (since idk production numbers), but i'd say it's my two ATR Ohana's in 1:400.

Still trying to find the 1:200 one lol. But since Ohana was apart of Hawaiian and I know GJ re-released a lot of Hawaiian planes, that they did so with Ohana

Looking at DiMA, the model i have with the greatest value is Aeroclassics A300 Air Niugini Bird of Paradise. This was part of the 'following James Cook' series where the same aircraft VH-TAA was featured in 4 Liveries. The other 2 I have (TAA and Australian) have gone up 50% but the Air Niugini one has doubled.

Air NiuGini A300.jpgTAA A300.jpgAustralian A300.jpg

Welcome to the community! Nice to see another collector who collects Aussie models! To be honest, I would give a kidney for one of the QF Concordes too! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I have a few like the Herpa delta e170. Which is not too rare. The southwest 737-800 canyon blue GJSWA1176. Herpa Southwest 737-300 shamu.

The thing I love about this topic is that often times many mix up the concept of a rare model with one that is commercially hyped up. Surely there are countless BB 747s trading in three digits, but despite having been produced nearly two decades ago, one pops up on eBay every once in a while, and you can get your hands on one after sparing a few bucks. IMO, a model like that, though undeniably valuable, is not rare. On the other hand, there are models that gradually fall into the laps of long-term collectors and are rarely circulated on the market, like this PBY. I was lucky enough to have snatched this among a few other models I bought as a pack from a private collection and it probably ended up costing less than $10 itself. According to DAC's database, the modeling was released by Herpa around 2007. I'm sure it isn't nearly as rare as I think and a few folks on this forum probably have one as well. Nonetheless I have since looked online out of curiosity and still haven't seen this exact model for sale. PBY.jpg

Looking at DiMA, the model i have with the greatest value is Aeroclassics A300 Air Niugini Bird of Paradise. This was part of the 'following James Cook' series where the same aircraft VH-TAA was featured in 4 Liveries. The other 2 I have (TAA and Australian) have gone up 50% but the Air Niugini one has doubled.

View attachment 5029View attachment 5030View attachment 5031
Yep, absolute gems, I have the Air Niugini & TAA as well, both lucky finds from a collector in Oz a few years back, did not pay an obscene price for them each either ✈️👏👍

Not particularly the most popular models, but these ones are one of the more meaningful models in my collection. Back in 2019, I flew from San Francisco to Manila and back (PR115 and PR114), and managed to get these inflight sales exclusive models from Philippine AirlInes. From what I gather, these editions of the PAL 777, A350, and A330 are discontinued from their duty free sales and the market in general.
FC73CEA3-B2AD-42AB-BE4E-1AE7A89F8DA1.jpeg36F5C002-5D9D-4AAB-AE33-522168EA3C9F.jpegB9B7B5ED-0597-47C7-8E75-F5F1E4F1C53C.jpeg75B1115E-DF34-49AD-9D0A-2C3A874FC9D0.jpeg

Not particularly the most popular models, but these ones are one of the more meaningful models in my collection. Back in 2019, I flew from San Francisco to Manila and back (PR115 and PR114), and managed to get these inflight sales exclusive models from Philippine AirlInes. From what I gather, these editions of the PAL 777, A350, and A330 are discontinued from their duty free sales and the market in general.
View attachment 7801View attachment 7802View attachment 7803View attachment 7804

Very, neat, I'd say they classify as genuinely rare (as opposed to eBay **RARE** 😅) I wish more airlines still sold these in flight...

Do you know who made them? At a glance the 773 looks GJ and the A330 looks Phoenix.