Patriot Model August release: B747-100

DTcustoms

Patriot Model just posted their next 1:400 releases of 2 B747-100, using the new HX mould
B747-100 KC-33 Tanker N1352B
B747-100 RR Trent 890 Testbed N7470
The sample of the HX 741 mould appeared on Yesterday's airlines video about HX Models1000001397.jpg

Nice to see that it's not exactly stepping on the toes of the NG release.

Will this be available in retailers in North America? It seems to be quite the interesting model and it'd be a shame if it doesn't show up over on those side of the pond.

Who are Patriot Models?
I wrote about them last December. Read here for some background:

The hump looks very promising. Maybe I will get to open the champagne after all. We still need to see it with wings and gear. Also, I'm still skeptical about the usage of the mold and availability of releases in the west.

Nose section already looks much better than NG.
However, it seems Patriot also forgot the Satcom antenna at the base of the hump... just like NG did

The hump looks very promising. Maybe I will get to open the champagne after all. We still need to see it with wings and gear. Also, I'm still skeptical about the usage of the mold and availability of releases in the west.
Given that their first two releases are not the original form but rather the variant KC33 and engine testbed, I won't doubt their usage for creating more niche liveries and special 747 mods. I can also understand they don't want to direct compete with NG by offering more unique choice.
The availability will be a issue though, but then it also depends on how bad the collectors want it, there will be retailers as long the market and demand is there. Looking forward to it.

Given that their first two releases are not the original form but rather the variant KC33 and engine testbed, I won't doubt their usage for creating more niche liveries and special 747 mods. I can also understand they don't want to direct compete with NG by offering more unique choice.
The availability will be a issue though, but then it also depends on how bad the collectors want it, there will be retailers as long the market and demand is there. Looking forward to it.

Yeah I see they are trying to differentiate themselves from NG. That's cool, but not really what I'm after.

I'm in my late 30s and grew up in the early nineties. Back then, 747s were similar to what A350s, 777s, 787s, and A380s are today in terms of appeal to aviation enthusiasts, and the general public. When in the early 2000s Aeroclassics and BigBird released just about all the popular 747-100/200/300/400 liveries from the 1970-2000 time frame, plus many not-so-popular liveries too, a good chunk of collectors in my age group were left out as many of us had not started collecting 1:400 (in my case I did not even have a bank account or personal computer back then). The collectors who were in their late 30s twenty years ago sucked them all up.

Ever since then, it has been a real frustration to get a hold of those 747s that were released in the early 2000s. The supply is simply not enough. Recent attempts have not been fully satisfying. Either the molds are not that great (Phoenix, NG), or the quality is not the same as it once was (Aeroclassics).

I think brands seem to perceive the thirst for classic 747s among collectors, which is why the likes of NG and Patriot are investing in such a vintage aircraft for this day and age (and why JC keeps BigBird Mk.3 alive), but they don't seem to recognize the different generations of collectors that exist. This is why you see them going for niche trendy subjects, instead of the sure-fire classic liveries best suited for the aircraft.

Unfortunately, and I hate to write this publicly knowing that manufacturers could read, they might be right in trying to steer clear of the popular liveries. It might be a bit too little too late, *if the online collecting community is any guide.* Many of us have had to resort to other alternatives, and while there will always be space for certain subjects in one's collection, many people have already settled with Phoenix or new Aeroclassics examples, etc.

Oh well, it is only tiny metal airplane figures anyway 🙂

Edit: I'm gonna pull an @IndyJets here... At least it is good to know that this promising Patriot Models mold is around. If I had enough cash sitting around I would commission the production of all those boring classic flag carrier liveries from all the popular airlines of those years 😅.

Actually, you already see tons of that stuff happening. Model makers won't release a subject that they are not familiar with, or don't perceive as sellable, but will gladly do it if someone else foots the bill. Though there are also plenty of brands that don't make their molds available.

Last edited:
Nose section already looks much better than NG.
However, it seems Patriot also forgot the Satcom antenna at the base of the hump... just like NG did
Of course, since there is no gear on the model you had to find some other random crap to complain about 😂