New After Market Model Sales Site Idea?

NickThePilot

I am currently undergoing the start of a website I have been designing and brainstorming for a while. (It will not interrupt YT uploads in any way) but it is called *secondhandmodels and it's a site where people will (hopefully of it works out) people will be able to buy, sell, or trade second hand or after market models, defect models, old releases, rare models. It will be easy to use, and you can find or sell just what you are looking for via a series of prompts such as

Are you selling after market/defect model

What scale

Condition
Pictures
All that
It will all be verified and approved via the site staff, me and whoever else, in the future, would want to help, and it would be great. Buyers could also have the option to pay a tiny bit extra to have models quality checked, where they would be shipped through a staff member first, and be very carefully checked for quality assurance before being shipped onwards to buyers. I think this idea has potential, if it is executed correctly. If anyone would have any interest in a site of this such, let me know!

It definitely has potential, but what I am wondering: What will be the benefit from posting it there, instead of eBay or on forums like these?
The option to pay a little extra to have quality checked will probably be very expensive and only affordable when the seller lives in the same country as the staff.

It definitely has potential, but what I am wondering: What will be the benefit from posting it there, instead of eBay or on forums like these?
The option to pay a little extra to have quality checked will probably be very expensive and only affordable when the seller lives in the same country as the staff.
Agreed with the assessment, I do think eBay does a fine job at times of fulfilling most of these goals. I would like to see this second hand store in action though before giving it a proper judgement.

I think this is a great idea! It's a genuinely needed alternative to sites like eBay, looking forward to where you take it!

I also think its a great idea will it be free to use and sell items as ebay does charge a bit on what you sell

Money-wise there are many things that need to be thought through, but once everything works and enough people use it, it will be become one of my most visited websites :ROFLMAO:

I welcome an idea like this. I considered ebay a few times to sell secondhand models because its the only well know international second hand site. But every time I see the 11% commission that they charge I don't think it's worth it. Especially because they also charge over the shipping cost..

The quality check will be complicated in my opinion for 2 reasons:

1. Who is going to pay for twice the shipping in case of a quality check? Seller --> Quality checker --> Buyer. It will increase the price of a second hand model on top of the small fee for the quality check. That makes the second hand model substantially more expensive.

2. What happends when the quality checker decides that its not good enough? Who will be responsible for (the cost of) sending the model back to the seller? What if the damage was caused by shipping? All kinds of complicated (liability) issues.

I think enforcing good pictures and packaging as a seller combined with a good review system of sellers/buyers is more the way to go.

Anyway, curious to see the progress!

I welcome an idea like this. I considered ebay a few times to sell secondhand models because its the only well know international second hand site. But every time I see the 11% commission that they charge I don't think it's worth it. Especially because they also charge over the shipping cost..

The quality check will be complicated in my opinion for 2 reasons:

1. Who is going to pay for twice the shipping in case of a quality check? Seller --> Quality checker --> Buyer. It will increase the price of a second hand model on top of the small fee for the quality check. That makes the second hand model substantially more expensive.

2. What happens when the quality checker decides that its not good enough? Who will be responsible for (the cost of) sending the model back to the seller? What if the damage was caused by shipping? All kinds of complicated (liability) issues.

I think enforcing good pictures and packaging as a seller combined with a good review system of sellers/buyers is more the way to go.

Anyway, curious to see the progress!
Yes I agree, and due to all of these reasons provided by everyone about this element, I believe I will revise this branch of the idea. And for the other questions such as, why bother, when there is ebay? Well I, like others have said too, it would be nice to have an alternative that is just for model aircraft, you can't trade on ebay too, which. that portion is also still being revised, but I would like to implement it if possible. All tips and opinions are welcome, as all of this is great information, and this is all one big project in the making. Thanks! If any has any features they think would improve or better this idea?

There should be options like on forums where you can choose between "for sale", "wanted" and "trading", so both buyers and sellers can filter and look through listings that are relevant to them. No need to search through loads of listings and finding out you wasted your time.

Would be very interesting to see a reliable alternative to the trading section in the DiMA database. Too many dormant/defunct users in there with inactive trade lists nowadays.

Do you currently have any plans to implement a database into the website? It may be more work, but it would be a great alternative to DiMA. Like others have mentioned, there are too many inactive members on DiMA to be worth using

Do you currently have any plans to implement a database into the website? It may be more work, but it would be a great alternative to DiMA. Like others have mentioned, there are too many inactive members on DiMA to be worth using
To be honest I don't really see a point in another database. Yes there are many inactive users, but over time the same will happen at the new one. There are around 46.000 models on DIMA, so goodluck with making a new website that comes even close to that number.

To be honest I don't really see a point in another database. Yes there are many inactive users, but over time the same will happen at the new one. There are around 46.000 models on DIMA, so goodluck with making a new website that comes even close to that number.
Fair enough, the work probably outweighs the benefits.