Model comparisons

I'll do a detailed comparison later, but this should at least give you an idea of the differences using the photos I already have.
Left side first the Gemini:
Southwest B737-8H4WL N500WR GJ L.jpg
And the NG:

Southwest B737-8H4WL N500WR L.jpg
Right side view...first the Gemini:
Southwest B737-8H4WL N500WR GJ R.jpgand the NG:
Southwest B737-8H4WL N500WR R.jpgFor starters, the gray appears to me to be just a bit dark on the Gemini.

I can also do a comparison between the Panda and Gemini Southwest California One...again using the photos I already have.
Left side first the GeminiSouthwest B737-7H4WL N943WN GJ L.jpg
and the PandaSouthwest B737-7H4WL N943WN L.jpg
Right side:
Gemini.Southwest B737-7H4WL N943WN GJ R.jpg
and Panda
Southwest B737-7H4WL N943WN R.jpg
The immediate thing I see with the Panda is that the window line is too high...by at least a milimeter.

Very nice thank you! The GJ Freedom One's colours seem to be a bit dull when compared to NG's. Very nice models, thanks for sharing!

@Purpleplane on the Freedom One, NG is much better than GJ. The California one seems more even between the two manufacturers. I see what you are saying about the window line on the Panda, then seems like the livery is also distorted as some elements seem to be aligned properly with the misplaced window line 🧐

@Purpleplane on the Freedom One, NG is much better than GJ. The California one seems more even between the two manufacturers. I see what you are saying about the window line on the Panda, then seems like the livery is also distorted as some elements seem to be aligned properly with the misplaced window line 🧐
Oh, yeah. NG is much better..by far. Seems like Panda has a problem with high window line on all of their 737-700's, at least all of them that I've seen. Guess they need to make an adjustment on it somehow.

Oh, yeah. NG is much better..by far. Seems like Panda has a problem with high window line on all of their 737-700's, at least all of them that I've seen. Guess they need to make an adjustment on it somehow.
From my Panda 737-700s I can confirm this. They have got a crazy high window line, which they need to fix.

From my Panda 737-700s I can confirm this. They have got a crazy high window line, which they need to fix.
I could be wrong, but it seems like Panda only has the window line issue with the 700's. I have a Sun Country 737-800 and the window line seems fine on it:
Sun Country 737-8K5WL N842SY L.jpg
Sun Country 737-8K5WL N842SY R.jpg
Same with the 737-400..Piedmont:
Piedmont B737-401 N406US L.jpg
Piedmont B737-401 N406US R.jpg
ad the 737-300 on Southwest Silver One:
Southwest B737-3H4 N629SW L.jpg
Southwest B737-3H4 N629SW R.jpg

I could be wrong, but it seems like Panda only has the window line issue with the 700's. I have a Sun Country 737-800 and the window line seems fine on it:
View attachment 5712
View attachment 5713
Same with the 737-400..Piedmont:
View attachment 5716
View attachment 5717
ad the 737-300 on Southwest Silver One:
View attachment 5714
View attachment 5715
I don't have any Panda -800s, but on my old Southwest Desert Gold -700 it looked bad:
1668456754200.png

(Not my picture, from RM Model store... I sold my model last month and don't have any good pictures to show the windowline angle)

Yep, just as bad as I remember. Hope we can see NG do this aircraft so I can get a new one that doesn't look like the windows are sunroofs! :ROFLMAO:
I also noticed that the color is just a bit too light. Would be nice if NG did one...then I could replace this one....already replaced my California one with the Gemini...just haven't sold the Panda yet.

Original Post at: Versus Series Vol. 1: American Airlines MD-80 Dragon Wings vs. GeminiJets

These little airplane models give us a tangible way to appreciate and honor these wonderful flying machines, engineering marvels, country ambassadors, and world shrinkers. Each one of us has personal reasons to be particularly fond of some aircraft types and airline liveries. In those cases only one model might not be enough, after all, it doesn’t hurt to have a little more than enough of a good thing.

Such is the case for me with the McDonnell Douglas MD-80 in the American Airlines livery. The T-tail design of the DC-9 family is exotic and I find it more pleasurable to the eyes than the wing-mounted twin-jet design that is all too common today. And even though the latter design is the clear winner, I am grateful for the decent success that the DC-9 family had, as it has allowed us to delight ourselves with such a beautiful airliner design for several decades.

Last American Airlines MD-80 (N979TW) landing at Houston IAH. September 3, 2019

Last American Airlines MD-80 (N979TW) to land at Houston IAH. September 3, 2019

I find the MD-80 to be one of the most attractive members of the DC-9 family, especially the early ones with the pointy tail cone and black nose radome. Its good fuselage and engine proportions give it a balanced appearance without looking too modern or too vintage.

I have always perceived the DC-9 family to be poorly represented in the scale model/toy world. The DiMA database agrees with me as it has a combined total of 985 DC-9s (DC-9 + MD-80 + MD-82 + MD-83 + MD-87 + MD-88 + MD-90 + B 717) in 1:400 and 1:200 scales. For reference, there are 1932 B 737 models and 1721 A320s (A318
+ A319 + A320 + A321) in 1:400 scale alone. This isn’t an exact calculation as some models are listed under more than one type field, and some others are not registered at all in the database, but it gives a general view of the under-representation of DC-9 models.

In spite of the MD-80 shortage in 1:400 scale, one airline that has not been underrepresented is American Airlines. American MD-80s were iconic, and even though they were predominantly seen in North America, it is safe to say that aviation lovers worldwide have no issues connecting the aircraft and the airline. For 37 years the airline got to operate close to 400 of these aircraft with the same livery throughout, making AA MD-80s a bridge that connected the modern aviation scene with that of the eighties and nineties.

The first American MD-80s in 1:400 scale date from 2001 and were produced by Dragon Wings. Then around 2011 Jet-X produced some more. And finally, GeminiJets released some more in 2013, 2014, and 2019.

My first American MD-80 model was a GeminiJets MD-82 registered N573AA, I bought it when released in 2013. I was pretty happy with it, even though I was acutely aware of the oversized engines and oddly shaped nose.

Years later one of the original Dragon Wings examples from 2001 crossed my path at an accessible price. It was also an MD-82, but registered N473AA.

Dragon’s example has a black radome and pointy tail cone, which places the aircraft in the pre-2003 period, in line with its release date. Its Gemini counterpart comes with the grey radome and the new-style flattened tail cone. Additionally, the fuselage of my DW example is painted, while the GJ example is bare metal.

Beyond those basic differences come the differences inherent to the two molds. I will not go into a detailed comparison/review of these two models as that has been done before at Yesterday's Airlines. I will say, however, that if I had to choose between the two, I will personally keep the Dragon Wings version.

Enjoy the pictures and compare:

Dragon Wings, 1:400, American airlines, MD-80 scale model.

Dragon Wings American Airlines MD-82 N473AA 1:400 Starboard Side

GeminiJets American Airlines MD-82 N573AA 1:400

GeminiJets American Airlines MD-82 N573AA 1:400 Starboard Side

Dragon Wings American Airlines MD-82 N473AA 1:400 Port Side

GeminiJets American Airlines MD-82 N573AA 1:400 Port Side

American Airlines MD-80 aircraft scale model, 1:400 scale. Dragon Wings, GeminiJets

American Airlines MD-80s in 1:400 scale. Left: GeminiJets. Right: Dragon Wings

Original Post at: Versus Series Vol. 1: American Airlines MD-80 Dragon Wings vs. GeminiJets

These little airplane models give us a tangible way to appreciate and honor these wonderful flying machines, engineering marvels, country ambassadors, and world shrinkers. Each one of us has personal reasons to be particularly fond of some aircraft types and airline liveries. In those cases only one model might not be enough, after all, it doesn’t hurt to have a little more than enough of a good thing.

Such is the case for me with the McDonnell Douglas MD-80 in the American Airlines livery. The T-tail design of the DC-9 family is exotic and I find it more pleasurable to the eyes than the wing-mounted twin-jet design that is all too common today. And even though the latter design is the clear winner, I am grateful for the decent success that the DC-9 family had, as it has allowed us to delight ourselves with such a beautiful airliner design for several decades.

Last American Airlines MD-80 (N979TW) landing at Houston IAH. September 3, 2019

Last American Airlines MD-80 (N979TW) to land at Houston IAH. September 3, 2019

I find the MD-80 to be one of the most attractive members of the DC-9 family, especially the early ones with the pointy tail cone and black nose radome. Its good fuselage and engine proportions give it a balanced appearance without looking too modern or too vintage.

I have always perceived the DC-9 family to be poorly represented in the scale model/toy world. The DiMA database agrees with me as it has a combined total of 985 DC-9s (DC-9 + MD-80 + MD-82 + MD-83 + MD-87 + MD-88 + MD-90 + B 717) in 1:400 and 1:200 scales. For reference, there are 1932 B 737 models and 1721 A320s (A318
+ A319 + A320 + A321) in 1:400 scale alone. This isn’t an exact calculation as some models are listed under more than one type field, and some others are not registered at all in the database, but it gives a general view of the under-representation of DC-9 models.

In spite of the MD-80 shortage in 1:400 scale, one airline that has not been underrepresented is American Airlines. American MD-80s were iconic, and even though they were predominantly seen in North America, it is safe to say that aviation lovers worldwide have no issues connecting the aircraft and the airline. For 37 years the airline got to operate close to 400 of these aircraft with the same livery throughout, making AA MD-80s a bridge that connected the modern aviation scene with that of the eighties and nineties.

The first American MD-80s in 1:400 scale date from 2001 and were produced by Dragon Wings. Then around 2011 Jet-X produced some more. And finally, GeminiJets released some more in 2013, 2014, and 2019.

My first American MD-80 model was a GeminiJets MD-82 registered N573AA, I bought it when released in 2013. I was pretty happy with it, even though I was acutely aware of the oversized engines and oddly shaped nose.

Years later one of the original Dragon Wings examples from 2001 crossed my path at an accessible price. It was also an MD-82, but registered N473AA.

Dragon’s example has a black radome and pointy tail cone, which places the aircraft in the pre-2003 period, in line with its release date. Its Gemini counterpart comes with the grey radome and the new-style flattened tail cone. Additionally, the fuselage of my DW example is painted, while the GJ example is bare metal.

Beyond those basic differences come the differences inherent to the two molds. I will not go into a detailed comparison/review of these two models as that has been done before at Yesterday's Airlines. I will say, however, that if I had to choose between the two, I will personally keep the Dragon Wings version.

Enjoy the pictures and compare:

Dragon Wings American Airlines MD-82 N473AA 1:400 Starboard Side

GeminiJets American Airlines MD-82 N573AA 1:400 Starboard Side

Dragon Wings American Airlines MD-82 N473AA 1:400 Port Side

GeminiJets American Airlines MD-82 N573AA 1:400 Port Side

American Airlines MD-80 aircraft scale model, 1:400 scale. Dragon Wings, GeminiJets

American Airlines MD-80s in 1:400 scale. Left: GeminiJets. Right: Dragon Wings
Thank you for such a detailed comparison! Looks very good, both are stunning models.