JC 1:400 Air India 747-400 severe QC issues

planes_on_a_shelf

IMG-20230929-WA0009.jpg
Hello Fellow Collectors
So my preferred retailer just informed me that he rejected all the AI 744s that they received because of severe QC issues such as is seen above. I am now concerned about pre-ordering this elsewhere. As I usually state, I prefer the FD version up on a stand so that the gear issues aren't obvious.

Recently I've been noticing that, unlike previously, JC models at my preferred retailer get listed in strange quantities - like 2 or 3, and these are in-demand models. It seems especially all the 744s have this issue.
From those who have received this model already, or have it in pre-order, what is your experience, or what has the feedback from your retailer been?

Would really appreciate a discussion on this, or feedback. Thanks much folks and Cheers!

Feels like JC are having severe QC issues with their slot in 744s ever since they begin to use them - and there seems to be no sign of improving😓
From what I heard, QC on the Cathay Pacific "Lettuce Sandwitch" VR-HOP, LCF N249BA and "JAL 100th 747" JA8915 are hideous while most other JC 744 (Saul Bass United/China Airlines farewell B-18215/EVA B-16411 etc) are just barely acceptable 😓

For those hideous ones, I heard that JC at one point literally recalled those in the worst state as even JC themselves admitted the quality of them are too horrible.

I somehow own the VR-HOP one, which comes with small bubbles on the top of my wing when I buy her:cry:
20230929_151520.JPG
You can also see the pictures of the N249BA on this FB post - which the paint bubbles are all over the aircraft from nose to horizontal stablizers, from fuselage to wing😒😒😒

those gigantic bubbles are really bringing the JC's QC to a "new height".
From what I have experienced with other JC's 744 new mould, rashes are one of the common issues, like the one KG3036 shown above.
those rashes are also found on Thai Airways 744 star alliance, Thai Airways retro livery 744, and 747LCF. and it's like every single piece in that batch had this issue.
other than that, JC's 787 are generally ok from painting finish (no comment on the color accuracy though), but i've encountered 3-4 times that the wings come off from the slot, which i have to super-glue it back.

Thanks @KG3036_SS & @mike_charlie_lima for your elaborate responses.

I have the Saul Bass FD (bought from JetCollector) and the LCF FD (bought from MHH - one of their earlier releases from 2020/21 I think) - away in storage and now I am concerned what I'll find once I open them to have a look and considering what aggravations must have happened in the interim.

My preferred retailer mentioned above is My Hobby House - kudos to them as, to their immense credit, they inspect each piece before sending and there have been multiple times that they have gotten in touch to appraise of QC issues on models and offering a substitute model / refund option - I have never received any model form MHH with QC issues - thus I consider their inspection is solid and pretty watertight compared to most other retailers)

In fact MHH asked me to find a substitute for the Thai Landor Classic 744 FD at the time.
I am now concerned whether this affects all their 744 Interactives too - I have a few but again - most recently the China Southern and KLM 747Fs (GJ releases I will add here) - are away in storage and I haven't had a look at them in a while.
I was considering ordering the recent Air China 744 FD, but won't now, and I have their previous old mould release anyways.
I will definitely not order the AI 744 from elsewhere now.

JC's QC isn't even bad, it's just nonexistent.

Out of the dozen or so I have, all but 2 have some sort of issue: wonky cockpit windows, paint bubbling, detached parts, bent antennas, decal stains, misaligned engine cowlings etc. It's worse considering most of them are 1:200s. Unboxing a JC was always an exercise in disappointment.

A few months ago I gave them one last chance, and even that came with the nosegear snapped in two. I've never bought a JC since then, and probably never will.

Sometimes it's not even the QC, but bad moulds or artwork that they never seem to fix.

My Hobby House - kudos to them as, to their immense credit, they inspect each piece before sending
not with my experience, i only had one-time purchase from them, and one of the models (PH 777) had severe nose gear distortion, so i returned the model and got the refund, despite i had to pay the shipping cost.

744 Interactives too - I have a few but again - most recently the China Southern

you mention the China Southern 744 interactive, have you found that one of the cargo cover not able to pull out after closing. (dont try if you havent done so), this is a known issue for that batch.
btw, I have also ordered the GJ air china 744 interactive, will be picking up this weekend to see how it holds up.

View attachment 22730
Hello Fellow Collectors
So my preferred retailer just informed me that he rejected all the AI 744s that they received because of severe QC issues such as is seen above. I am now concerned about pre-ordering this elsewhere. As I usually state, I prefer the FD version up on a stand so that the gear issues aren't obvious.

Recently I've been noticing that, unlike previously, JC models at my preferred retailer get listed in strange quantities - like 2 or 3, and these are in-demand models. It seems especially all the 744s have this issue.
From those who have received this model already, or have it in pre-order, what is your experience, or what has the feedback from your retailer been?

Would really appreciate a discussion on this, or feedback. Thanks much folks and Cheers!
Oi mate, Sorry for the loss 😔

Let's hope this QC issued are isolated. I recently got the standard configuration AI 744, with no QC issues.,

Other than the already mentioned issues with the cockpit windows and nose landing gear...

Still, a lovely livery on a very good model - but likely my last JC WINGS. Safe for the flaps down configurations... maybe 🤔

I

Attachments

• IMG_20230918_214921__01.jpg
    IMG_20230918_214921__01.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20230918_180809__01.jpg
    IMG_20230918_180809__01.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20230922_114231__02.jpg
    IMG_20230922_114231__02.jpg
    748 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20230929_071901.jpg
    IMG_20230929_071901.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20230929_071939.jpg
    IMG_20230929_071939.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 22
I've had a similar issue with my recently purchased Kuwait 747-400. Thankfully I was able to replace it one in good condition.

I would say that bubbling appears to be common on JC new 744 pax mould. For the CX Lettuce B744 Herpa by JCW, I bought it at discount because bubbling appears not in this area but also the others. Nonetheless it seems that GJ use of the new 744 mould seems not to be hit with the bubbling problem (I need to check my GJ NCR 744 later to conclude).

I received mine VT-ESO today - she look totally fine to me from a paint perspective - no bubbles/rashes are visible.
My retailer also said most of their AI 744 received are ok.
20231007_223844.JPG20231007_223930.JPG
The fit of the horizontal stabilizer on my unit though left something to be desired :confused:

Attachments

• 20231007_223855.JPG
    20231007_223855.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 9