JAZ's Collection

I was sure you had them both 😄. You have all FedEx models that exist in 1:400, right?
There are actually quite a few I don't have. I don't have any Dragon/Jex-X, I missed out on the SMA 737-200, and I also missed out on the Aeroclassics 727-100s in purple top and current schemes. Also missing a purple top DC-10-10 & DC-10-30, and a PW powered 757-200. Other than that, I have pretty much everything. I do have at least one model of everything in the fleet except for the 727-100.

Last edited:
There are actually quite a few I don't have. I don't have any Dragon/Jex-X, I missed out on the SMA 737-200, and I also missed out on the Aeroclassics 727-100s in purple top and current schemes. Also missing a purple top DC-10-10 & DC-10-30, and a PW powered 757-200. Other than that, I have pretty much everything. I do have at least one model of everything in the fleet except for the 727-100.

That's understandable, there are a lot of FedEx models that have been produced. Ironically, my small FedEx fleet includes many of the ones you are missing.

My FedEx models are in the lower left corner of the photo below.

DW/Jet-X: PurpleTop 747 & DC-10-30 (set of 2), Flying Tigers hybrids (2x), and fantasy A380.

The SMA 732 is also there, one of my oldest 1:400 models and my first FedEx 1:400 model, luckily the zinc rot issue is isolated to its main landing gear.

Then there are the GJ FedEx 722, and some recent ones: AC PupleTop 722 and A300, and Phoenix MD-11

DSC_2538.jpg

Continuing with more photo dumping from photoshoots of 2023...

United Airlines Boeing 737 MAX 9 N37508 by NG Models

It is no secret that I don't normally buy a model just because the mold is nice. I prefer to see my collection more as a family album of sorts - memories of good times only! Honoring the glorious days from that perfect past that is not to come back! Because of that, models of current subjects don't often join the ranks of my collection as true memorable experiences are far and few in between. Air travel, especially as a young adult, is more often than not tainted with early (way too bloody early 😖) mornings, tight schedules, etc.

But as time goes by one becomes more comfortable with being an adult and starts to realize that waking up early or missing an important event is not the end of the world. One can smile again cramped away in that middle economy seat at 0500am local, at least sometimes. For the other times, one can just let selective memory do its thing 😉.

Boy, and am I glad things work the way they do as otherwise I would have missed out on this:

DSC_2025.jpgDSC_2027.jpgDSC_2028.jpg

And now going to the opposite end of my collection, which is as underdeveloped as my current/modern subject section: aviation history and the times before I was born.

Waffle Collection Sales seem to be losing their epicness but in late 2022 and early 2023 there was a pretty good one. The two models below came from there:

A pair of Braniff Boeing 727-227s in the Ultra Colors N479BN (Corvette Blue) and N455BN (Chocolate Brown)

Unlike PanAm and Eastern, of which I managed to catch a glimpse, there was absolutely nothing left of Braniff by the time I was born. No old signs at airports, no aircraft in a hangar somewhere, nothing.

The only thing left was the vague tales of my family that mentioned a large U.S. airline called Braniff that used to fly from Maracaibo, our hometown, to Houston, which would become our new/second hometown some 30 years later. With the advent of the internet, more and more info has surfaced about Braniff and their operations linking Venezuela with Texas in the years following airline deregulation in the U.S. and shortly before their demise - maybe the aftermath of the 1973 OPEC embargo also had something to do with all the traveling between these two oil-rich regions during those years, maybe - This sparked my interest in the airline. There are bits and pieces scattered throughout the internet linking their 722s in the ultra colors with operations in Maracaibo.

DSC_1823.jpg

DSC_1824.jpg

Natural morning light coming through the window:

DSC_1826.jpg

DSC_1829.jpg

Image from Facebook:
1703856521417.png

Atlantic International L-1011-1 N330EA NG Models (Buchannan)

I like jetliners specifically created for the movies as many of them are classics from the 1970s-1990s. The first novel I read was Arthur Hadley's Airport, and as such I would absolutely love to have the Trans Global 707 from the original 1970 movie adaptation, which exists in 1:400 (and 1:200) scale but it is too hard to find, especially for the price I am willing to pay. So when this L-1011 from the movie Passenger 57 came out I did not let it pass. Now, this movie is a far cry from Airport (1970), but still, the model captures well that early 1990s vibe that I like so much, and it sort of reminds me of Die Hard 2, which also featured an L-1011 from a fictional airline. Back in the pre-internet days movies like this caught my attention big time mainly because of the aircraft in them, which I absorbed as much as I could in every scene in an attempt to learn about new aircraft types and simply to satiate my thirst for airplanes!

NG did a great job with this subject as evidenced by @Mark22's review at YV400.

I was happy to see this model included in @YesterAirlines Top 15 of 2023 video. A nice video indeed I must say.

Here is another cool movie subject that I have been very tempted to get, but you know, priorities.

DSC_3002.jpegDSC_3004.jpegDSC_3006.jpeg

Last edited:
1:200 sneak in...

Chicago and Southern Lockheed L-749A Constellation by Western Models (current 1:200 propliners by Aeroclassics)

Caught my eye ever since released in mid-2023. C&S was a relatively short-lived U.S. airline. One of its few international routes included Caracas. In fact, I believe it might have been the second U.S. airline to operate regularly in Venezuela after Pan Am (don't quote me). The route eventually went to Delta after it acquired C&S, making Caracas Delta's first South American destination.

I belive the fuselage titles should have been italicized. It is a nice model regardless.

DSC_3016.jpgDSC_3020.jpgDSC_3021.jpg

From the Delta Museum web page.

1705937621284.png

The recent Lufthansa 747-430 (M) D-ABTE by JC Wings.

No major QC issues 😅. Though it looks like the #1 engine took some serious FOD. #2 is lower than the rest also. Oversized cockpit windows... Good model overall.

DSC_3064.jpgDSC_3066.jpg

I had to move my 747-200 by Apollo to fit it in the new JC 744 on the LH shelf, so took the opportunity to take the following group shot.

DSC_3068.jpg

I was looking through my JP repertoire and found a photo of sistership D-ABTB that I took in April 2015 at IAH. Looks like the comm 2 antenna should be red...

1706072577408.png

Wonderful Euro birds. The Air France DC-10 is quite rare, right?
Thanks Leo! Not sure about the AF DC-10. I didn’t know it existed until it showed up on the Waffle sale. Looking at DiMA looks like there are not too many AF 10s, oddly enough all models have that same reg.

I only need one Swissair MD-11 in my collection and was pretty happy with my copy of HB-IWI by JC. But the recent Phoenix's ones were tempting so I finally gave in with HB-IWA with the 700th Anniversary of the Swiss Confederation sticker.

This will make for a fun "Versus Series" episode. Not a good start for Phoenix in terms of QC (check the #2 intake). JC also seems to be leading on wing markings and details...

1707799337720.png

DSC_3224.jpg