Airport Grass

MH aviation

Hi all, as I am finishing up my model airport, one of the last steps is to lay grass.
i dont know what is best as there are so many options. if anyone knows good ones that are easy to find in North America please let me know
thanks

Hi all, as I am finishing up my model airport, one of the last steps is to lay grass.
i dont know what is best as there are so many options. if anyone knows good ones that are easy to find in North America please let me know
thanks
Do you have a Hobby Lobby store near you? They have different kinds of hobby grass that I’ve used for 1/400 airports in the past. Reasonable prices too.

Yeah that's what Hobby Lobby had
Yeah Model Train Grass

(what I taught midwest as well as a few others)

I do N scale trains and this helps a lot.

Get Woodland Scenics grass

Spread some white glue watered down about 50/50

then add the grass and coat the top with the watered glue again

Works great

Yeah Model Train Grass

(what I taught midwest as well as a few others)

I do N scale trains and this helps a lot.

Get Woodland Scenics grass

Spread some white glue watered down about 50/50

then add the grass and coat the top with the watered glue again

Works great
This technique does works well

Use scatter grass instead of a grass mat. The mat usually come off after a while even with good glue. But the scatter material does not. It also works better. But it is a bit messy

I personally prefer mats for airports, but I have used scatter grass previously on other projects. They both work well and ultimately it is up to you. :)

You need to also consider the scale that we are working with, scattered grass which is my preferred choice too, may be applied in certain areas where the grass is taller, where you may have to reduce the consistency for other areas. Sometimes finely applied paint can convey grass at 1:400 scale better. A mix of both techniques is best. Have fun! S

Attachments

• 16684390775278256131161048721256.jpg
    16684390775278256131161048721256.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 20
You need to also consider the scale that we are working with, scattered grass which is my preferred choice too, may be applied in certain areas where the grass is taller, where you may have to reduce the consistency for other areas. Sometimes finely applied paint can convey grass at 1:400 scale better. A mix of both techniques is best. Have fun! S
Hats off to you, that looks excellent! Far better than a simple grass mat could do. I will have to try it!

Hi everyone, after 4 months the airport is finished (i used a grass mat)
i will be making a separate thread about it and will post pics there.
Thanks for all the help.
Matthew