Aeroclassics December 2023 releases

I'm just a mortal collector, but from what I have been able to gather this is how it goes:

JC, who owns the BigBird mold that Aeroclassics has always used for their 747s, has recognized for some time now that long-sold-out classics can be cash cows. GJ, who has gotten JC grabbed by the balls, is not a huge fan of re-releasing rare models to keep them rare and valuable. Apparently, the GJ boys actually get a hard-on when they see their old models go for hundreds of dollars on eBay.

In the meantime, Phoenix showed no qualms and shamelessly started to pump out those very contemporary classics that GJ didn't let JC release. Including, but not limited to, many 747s. Phoenix knows that those hot liveries will sell even on their mold... Then, NG also responded by showing the intent to release 747 classic molds.

Refusing to sit with his hands crossed JC said: well screw you GJ, if you don't want to do it, and don't want to let me do it, I have no option but to call AC and provide them with some BigBird blank 742 molds to curb Phoenix's money grab and to steal the NG's thunder.

This is not the first time in recent times that JC has sold blank 747s to AC. Of Course way back when those molds were actually located in the same factory where Aerocclassics were produced and that's when all those 747s that you see on eBay going for 100$$$ were made, or something like that.
I wish JC would use the old AV400 mould, it's superior to the BB imo.

It is funny, nobody seems to get the damm thing right. Phoenix has the printing quality but not the mold. Aeroclassics has got the mold, but their printing is precarious. And NG, who had the potential to bring everything together, screwed up their samples remarkably.

If those BB/AC/JC mould variations would be really good at least. They never really were yet they still sell like hotcakes after 20 years and despite of AC's today product quality falling way short of what it once was. Just shows how desperately these 747Classics are needed.

NG really really screwed up here. They could have been to marked long ago. Now I expect them to be well into 2024 for the first definite sample.

But as the saying goes... Patience is a virtue. Good things come to those who wait.

The first 747 classics from last months release sets weren’t exactly the best so I’d be waiting for a review of the 747’s in this release set. before considering ordering the recent 747’s.

Ah I see Jorge has the explanation covered well on his own!
Well, a lot of it comes from the material you have put out over the years.

The only thing I'll add is that this isn't the original Big Bird but one of the several copies of it as the wingtip aerials are a lot chunkier.

Yeah, I have also spotted some subtle modifications to the current BirBird 747 mold. I used to think the taller forehead was just a result of the way some examples were polished, but it seems pretty consistent now. Too bad JC prints the cockpit windows too big, and AC too low, as this new forehead seems to be an improvement.

Judging by the fact retailers like Squatchy's got only 1 of each of these EL AL 747s the production runs on these must be tiny. The UA small titles were only 77 units and I'd guess these EL ALs are even less. At this point Andrew is almost making the models for himself sometimes!
🤣 He is... must be nice to have a tampo-printing machine at your disposal.

If those BB/AC/JC mould variations would be really good at least. They never really were yet they still sell like hotcakes after 20 years and despite of AC's today product quality falling way short of what it once was. Just shows how desperately these 747Classics are needed.

NG really really screwed up here. They could have been to marked long ago. Now I expect them to be well into 2024 for the first definite sample.

But as the saying goes... Patience is a virtue. Good things come to those who wait.

Yes, that mold is not all that great, but is the best that is available these days. I actually think the GJ mold is better, but knowing they don't even want JC using the BigBird mold, I think the chances of seeing them using their own mold are null. The last time they released an airliner was in 2016 (Pan Am Billboard). The recent VC-25A is quite nice, best 747-200 mold/printing combo available.

The first 747 classics from last months release sets weren’t exactly the best so I’d be waiting for a review of the 747’s in this release set. before considering ordering the recent 747’s.

You can see they also have low cockpit windows and crude wings. Those crude wings by the way are not new. I was checking my Aeroclassics 747s from 2020 (the previous batch of BigBird blanks they got from JC) and they have the exact same wing design. The cockpit windows were oversized but better placed then.

By the time you start seeing reviews and photos online, they will all likely be long gone from retailers.

... I'd have preferred a Kar Air A300 rather than Finnair but may look at that one. I've already got all 3 EA A300 releases.
Yes the Kar is a delightful scheme!
I have the DW/Jet-X EA A300s - but those won't come close to an AC A300 ever.
Have gladly picked this one up - and hoping that AC make the other versions soon - and even the AA ones!

Re-releases of iconic / historic aircraft/liveries are always welcome - as there would be lots of collectors who'd have missed the earlier rounds - and the fact that they're sold out already within a few hours makes this evident.
The previous releases aren't really available - and I don't count collection sales and ebay listings as 'availability' as these aren't regular purchase procedures, besides they're not always accessible to everyone.

Last edited:
Just ordered the Eastern A300. Nice to see it re-released it. I have been wanting it for years,but so expensive

That is the one I ordered too. I have a DW one, which is very nice (also fairly expensive), but I dropped it, and it has got a paint chip as a result. So this AC version is very welcomed.

An the Eastern A-300 is already sold out🤥
Yep. On Jetcollector within the hour! Was glad I could snap up my copies of the two buses!

You'll get them on Aviation Megastore soon - if North American stores are sold out that is - their listing tends to be later and make sure you subscribe to their daily newsletter for updates. Then there's My Hobby House that also lists them much later - again subscribe to their newsletter for daily updates. Both stores ship worldwide.

Cheers!

Yep. On Jetcollector within the hour! Was glad I could snap up my copies of the two buses!

You'll get them on Aviation Megastore soon - if North American stores are sold out that is - their listing tends to be later and make sure you subscribe to their daily newsletter for updates. Then there's My Hobby House that also lists them much later - again subscribe to their newsletter for daily updates. Both stores ship worldwide.

Cheers!
CAMAUST will likely have them, and probably in stock for a while. You'll have to call or email them though, I doubt it'll get added to their website.

Cheers!
Great information!! Thanks alot✌🏻