Who Are HX Models & What Does It Mean for 400 Scale?

JC Wings put out a rant on their Instagram.
View attachment 32857View attachment 32858
I've been told by a friend that this is in reference to HX Models. Apparently HX Models was a former JC Wings factory(pretty sure this was widely known by the collectorate), and one of two closed down by JC Wings a few years ago. It was reopened without JC Wings knowing, using the JC moulds or slight modifications of them to make Models that could undercut JC Wings themselves. Johan Chan himself has taken great offense to this and is allegedly suing the HX Factory for theft of intellectual property. Very interested to see what becomes of this, if it ends up with HX Models being stamped out of existence or if HX Models manages to pull through. Another thing of interest is if any HX Models on preorder make it out to customers.
HX/SQ did deny it, but there's probably some truth to this if their 1:200s are anything to go by.

That being said, I find it hard to feel sorry for JC. Nonexistent QC, persistent printing issues, iffy coloring etc... Horror stories are everywhere on FB groups. Collectors in my country buy a lot of JC due to their frequent KE/OZ releases, and there's been exactly zero from the last two years without some glaring defect. It's great to finally get a quality alternative (especially in 1:200).

Bad QC is with all brands; especially AC, Phoenix and JC I don't buy online anymore. The AN-22 sample at the Shanghai show makes it in my eyes obvious that all this work is not all done by themselves (HX), no way that two brands have their own sample ready at the exact same time.

Last edited:
Bad QC is with all brands; especially AC, Phoenix and JC I don't buy online anymore. The AN-22 sample at the Shanghai show makes it in my eyes obvious that all this work is not all done by themselves (HX), no way that two brands have their own sample ready at the exact same time.
The An-22 is by Patriot Models working with JC Wings so that isn't an issue. However, the XB-70 on the table at the show does illustrate the point you're making.

JC Wings are no worse than anybody else when it comes to QC, print mistakes and the odd off colour (and certainly better than some). I do think @pons399 that sometimes your expectations are a little off for what 400 scale can regularly produce at the sort of price these are retailing for.