Where are the turboprops

josecolme

Just wondering. Why do you guys think that regional turboprops are barely produced by anybody. Yes, they do make them but in really short supply and missing quite a few models. And lately, some made very poorly.

I'd love to see a Dash8-300, Saab 2000, BAe ATP. Also smaller, Twin Otter, Caravan, Let410. I know these last few would be way small but I'm the technology exists that would allow it.

The few that are made makes them so special and expensive (this might be the answer).

I'm right there with you Jose! There are a few Twin Otters and Caravans that I would really like to see. Mostly obscure Venezuelan stuff that I'd probably have to customize, but having the molds in 1:400 scale available. would be a nice start. I think most of the mainstream U.S. turboprops have been made, but given how popular those things were across the entire country makes the demand for them huge, and thus their rarity.

Like with any other highly sought-after models, I wish we could get some rereleases of the American Eagle and Continental Express ATRs and Saabs. I never thought my collection would ever grow to the point where now those are noticeable voids. The ERJ-145 could use a new mold IMHO.

...Why do you guys think that regional turboprops are barely produced by anybody. ...

- because their general production costs and so their retail prices aren't much lower than that of the larger types
- and because of their "regional" demand: less units per subject to be sold means costs (per subject) need to be spread across less units

Bottom line:
they cost almost as much to do and block capacities (R&D, production etc.) for a lot lower return per unit made.

That said, anybody in for an NFD ATR42/72 twinpack or maybe Olympic Aviation Do228?

True, might not be the most cost effective models. But given the possible demand, a good balance in price should be possible to justify production of those types.
I'm right there with you Jose! There are a few Twin Otters and Caravans that I would really like to see. Mostly obscure Venezuelan stuff that I'd probably have to customize, but having the molds in 1:400 scale available. would be a nice start. I think most of the mainstream U.S. turboprops have been made, but given how popular those things were across the entire country makes the demand for them huge, and thus their rarity.

Like with any other highly sought-after models, I wish we could get some rereleases of the American Eagle and Continental Express ATRs and Saabs. I never thought my collection would ever grow to the point where now those are noticeable voids. The ERJ-145 could use a new mold IMHO.
I'd love to make some customs also. Venezuelan, Caribbean and Central America. Just today I flew with a capt who flew the Aerotuy Do228.

Just wondering. Why do you guys think that regional turboprops are barely produced by anybody. Yes, they do make them but in really short supply and missing quite a few models. And lately, some made very poorly.

I'd love to see a Dash8-300, Saab 2000, BAe ATP. Also smaller, Twin Otter, Caravan, Let410. I know these last few would be way small but I'm the technology exists that would allow it.

The few that are made makes them so special and expensive (this might be the answer).
I get mine from shapeways in 1:400

Gemini Jets has done some periodic ATRs and Dash-8s but nothing too special. The Twin Otters in 200 scale look stunning and I’m tempted to buy one at some point. If it was possible for GJ to do more turboprops in 400 scale (i.e. Dornier 328, Beech 1990, Metroliner, etc.) then I would be very envious about it!

However, your best bet for some turboprop types in 400 scale will be customs from Shapeways.

Gemini and JC are the undisputed kings of turboprops in my eyes. Despite the occasional major mess-up and some minor inaccuracies, no one else has access to the range of moulds they do. All we need now is a new Dash 8-300 mould and a Qantas Q400 in the new livery!

I know that Gemini200 has a quite good Twin Otter mold, just not 400 scale yet