What compromises are you willing to make for your models if you find Defects??

Tropicalista

I am a very critical person who looks at the smallest details, I must admit that I am very picky. I check every inch of paint, see if they're symmetrical, check the wheels, and then add up, or ratio, in the price spent.
In this JC Wings model, I also find a paint defect in the engine( But really so small, and is not noteworthy), I find the wings that are not symmetrical (the photo does not do it justice). The model is particular, and I have found one new in a shop in HK) The price was really good and I have took it.
The real plane is operated by ASL Airlines, and often comes to MXP, being an expatriate I took it out of nostalgia, to make me feel closer to home.
The thing that bothers me the most is that if I see it from the front the wings are not symmetrical. I know that no one who will get there to see it with the caliber will notice it but I noticed it and it bothers me.
What amazed me are the trolleys, very well made, wheels that move and axles that follow the natural movement if not on the ground. Congrats JC Wings!!!!
The JC trolley seems a bit fragile to me, what do you think? (do you have an a330 or large planes? have you had any problems with JC's landing gear?)
In the end I must say that I am very happy to have found the model without going through EBAY, I'm sorry about the wings, that I see the defect (I continue to observe it) but I am amazed by the trolleys, WOW! and I can understand the small paint flaw at the junction of the engines in the wing...

Am I just so fussy or do you also look at every single section of the plane?

If the wings were symmetrical my expatriate heart would be at the top of happiness, so a little less. but this is it......

Attachments

• Immagine WhatsApp 2023-01-22 ore 16.49.16.jpg
    Immagine WhatsApp 2023-01-22 ore 16.49.16.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 60
  • Immagine WhatsApp 20sdfghjk.16.png
    Immagine WhatsApp 20sdfghjk.16.png
    748.5 KB · Views: 60
Also, I have seen this issue with the printing in some models… some a300 family and in atr…
Very good point!

Also that for me it’s not tolerable the defect (it’s more an issue with the scale) with the landing gear of some Saab models :(

I hate poorly positioned cockpit windows, it's the most terrible defect IMO.
Landing gears in incorrect heights come in as a close 2nd place when it comes to defects. I don't like when models are either too high or too low. I have a certain margin of tolerance, of course, but still dislike it. Wheel sizes are also very annoying when enlarged or too small.

When finding a model with some of these defects, I might try to correct them or simply ignore the model.
Cockpit windows can be corrected by using a replacing decal, for example.

Last edited:
Another good point, when the engines have the not right angle position this with the poor cabin cockpit windows it can be when so much disappointing

The JC trolley seems a bit fragile to me, what do you think? (do you have an a330 or large planes? have you had any problems with JC's landing gear?)
For me, the A330s characteristic tail-up posture is a key feature of the type. It's part of the heritage of the entire family - the A300s and the A340s, the A310/A332F being exceptions.
I avoid the JC/GJ A330s even if they're within my criteria because of this - their models sit too low and worse of all, they in fact sit tail down! I find it unbelievable that they've not even flinched releasing model after model. And the collectorate doesn't seem to mind very strangely!
Additionally their wing angle is thus too steep - to prevent the low-hanging engines from hitting the surface. If they'd change the gear lengths to a more accurate height, the engines won't touch the surface, and the wings don't need to be so steeply angled. It's something their A339 suffers from as well, although it's an otherwise fantastic mould and my go to so far - but I'll wait now for Av400 and NG to release their A330neos.
For me right now, NG's and Panda's are the best available A330s - in that order. Panda hasn't released one in almost 2 years unfortunately - but am happy with NG's. Phoenix has a great A333 but the horizontal stabs on their A332 are oversized - as are the nose gear doors which are massive on both and lend a very awkward appearance to the model. Also the nose gear is a little too far back? But I no longer buy Phoenix A330s

I honestly saw that it tends with little to soar, thank you for the comments, and I had read that the wings were generally too angled, but I decided to overdo this detail.

For the gears now I will take a more accurate look at the photos of the royals, but, I have to admit that length apart, of jc are well done

I am pretty forgiving when it comes to defects. Although, sometimes a model has something so blatantly wrong with it that I end up returning it. I am fine with loose/detached parts, small paint defects and even some rocket engines, but I cannot stand misprinted cockpits, overly-angled wings and wrong colours.

I am a very critical person who looks at the smallest details, I must admit that I am very picky. I check every inch of paint, see if they're symmetrical, check the wheels, and then add up, or ratio, in the price spent.
In this JC Wings model, I also find a paint defect in the engine( But really so small, and is not noteworthy), I find the wings that are not symmetrical (the photo does not do it justice). The model is particular, and I have found one new in a shop in HK) The price was really good and I have took it.
The real plane is operated by ASL Airlines, and often comes to MXP, being an expatriate I took it out of nostalgia, to make me feel closer to home.
The thing that bothers me the most is that if I see it from the front the wings are not symmetrical. I know that no one who will get there to see it with the caliber will notice it but I noticed it and it bothers me.
What amazed me are the trolleys, very well made, wheels that move and axles that follow the natural movement if not on the ground. Congrats JC Wings!!!!
In the end I must say that I am very happy to have found the model without going through EBAY, I'm sorry about the wings, that I see the defect (I continue to observe it) but I am amazed by the trolleys, WOW! and I can understand the small paint flaw at the junction of the engines in the wing...

If the wings were symmetrical my expatriate heart would be at the top of happiness, so a little less. but this is it......
I am pretty lenient when it comes to defects like this, the only thing I can‘t tolerate is broken parts, or the old Gemini Jets A220 mold. The nose gear goes farther down than the wheels themselves.

I'm quite picky when it comes to QC issues. Paint bubbling/chipping, bent HF antennas (on the 747SP), flimsy landing gear and aerials that aren't properly glued on all bother me to no end. The last two issues are somewhat fine, as I can fix them with some superglue and a pair of tweezers. Although even minor defects severely hamper my love for a model, I don't return it or buy another one unless the aircraft type/livery is absolutely dear to me. My Delta Tristar came with some paint chipping on the nosegear, but I just let it be; I wouldn't ever have let that slide if it had been a Cathay.

I would say that I am pretty fussy about detail. So much so, that I just recently entered into this hobby again as an adult. And only after serendipitously seeing the new moulds through a random search into a client's business.

Forgive me for my frankness here, but the offerings before NG and Aviation 400 (particularly the former, albeit those beacon lights...) we're toys. Granted there were some standouts - modern technology has opened the doors to the realism and accuracy attainable at 1:400.

The chances of me ever buying a Gemini "model" is slim to none. Toys... Was that too much too soon? Cheers

I would say that I am pretty fussy about detail. So much so, that I just recently entered into this hobby again as an adult. And only after serendipitously seeing the new moulds through a random search into a client's business.

Forgive me for my frankness here, but the offerings before NG and Aviation 400 (particularly the former, albeit those beacon lights...) we're toys. Granted there were some standouts - modern technology has opened the doors to the realism and accuracy attainable at 1:400.

The chances of me ever buying a Gemini "model" is slim to none. Toys... Was that too much too soon? Cheers
Agreed, it's tough to rate other brands once you're accustomed to NG/AV400 standards. Even if it's a good mould with no QC issues, small details like oversized aerials and crude landing gear mean that you're never 100% satisfied with a JC/GJ/PH.

I feel like it depends in the price for me. If I'm paying regular price and I find a printing defect that's visible, wrong color, crooked engines, etc then I would reject the model and return it. If I'm paying say half price for a model, then I'd be ok with some small print defects or if the color is wrong but within reason. The amount of defects I find on a model should be inversely proportional to its price