Throwback... ANA Pikachu Jumbo Flaps-down by Hogan

Jazajia

If I recall correctly, I posted this on Facebook a while back, but I don't think it got a lot of attention (the algorithm didn't like it :rolleyes:), but I think it is interesting enough that I will give it a second chance.

This is an "ANA Precision Models" (Hogan/Herpa) Boeing 747-481D in the landing configuration. In typical Herpa fashion, the mold itself is not ultra-sharp, but in contrast, all the detail of the flaps deployed is superb. The runway itself is also very precise (minus the rubber stains).

DSC_0183.jpgDSC_0184.jpgDSC_0186.jpgDSC_0187.jpg

A few years after receiving this model, I got to spot it at Haneda:

72689_1378490197.jpg

One last thought that I have been keeping to myself for a long time. I understand this is a 10+-year-old model, and I'm not even sure if Hogan/Herpa is still producing airline-exclusive models using this mold (I know they made that Cathay 744 with the JC mold). But if the Japanese and the Germans were okay with airplane models looking like, well, airplane models (as in a bit toy-like, not ultra-perfect), those of us that are okay with settling with less-than-stellar molds from time to time are in good company.

Last edited:
This is an upscaled version of Hogan's own 1:500 mould. Brings me some nostalgia, as this was basically my favorite 747 mould in 1:500 scale :D
It might be "less-than-stellar" by today's standards but I honestly don't mind at all. Actually I still buy old Dragons and Geminis and I think some look great hahaha

When did the model come out? Those wings look really good, in general the whole thing looks really good.

DiMA says 2013 release date. I actually think I got mine in 2010-2011… so who knows which is correct my memory or DiMA.

Thanks!

I wish JALUX and ANA Precision still released 1/400s like this. It seems like they have mostly consolidated into 200 and 500 scales nowadays which is unfortunate.

This is an upscaled version of Hogan's own 1:500 mould. Brings me some nostalgia, as this was basically my favorite 747 mould in 1:500 scale :D
It might be "less-than-stellar" by today's standards but I honestly don't mind at all. Actually I still buy old Dragons and Geminis and I think some look great hahaha
Wasn't this mould used by BB500 or Net models? I have a few of them but not a Hogan so i can't compare them. Those BB500,NM are some of my all time favourite 1:500 models.

Wasn't this mould used by BB500 or Net models? I have a few of them but not a Hogan so i can't compare them. Those BB500,NM are some of my all time favourite 1:500 models.

Nope, BigBird and Netmodels had different moulds. Hogan used to share their moulds with Herpa most of the time.

This looks really nice and the stand and runway layout is great too. I assume it was quite expensive?

Thanks Richard. It was bought new in Japan by my mother-in-law (they are from there). I also assume it was more expensive than a regular model, but probably not as much as the second-hand market.

I have a small ANA collection that my wife and her mom kick-started. It is all good, I have plenty of cool experiences associated with ANA so I am happy to have those models, though they are an oddball among my American/European-intensive collection.

---------------

I had not noticed, but the artwork on the model is shifted down quite a bit. Would not have worked well if the livery had a cheat line, but in that case I'd think both ANA and Herpa/Hogan would have fixed the issue before releasing it.