Three Engine Perfection - Delta L-1011-1 Tristar N725DA by NG Models

OscarBravo992

Three Engine Perfection - Delta L-1011-1 Tristar N725DA by NG Models

Hi all! As promised, today I bring you a review of the stunning Delta L-1011 by NG Models. Inspired by Richard (@YesterAirlines) and his model reviews, I will write this in the same sort of format. The review will be split into three parts: the mould, details & livery and finally, printing and quality control. For each part, I will give the model a score out of ten, and then I will add them all up at the end to get a final score out of thirty. Enjoy!

The Real Thing

1668995932684.png

Let's face it, the Delta Widget and the L-1011 were a match made in heaven. This particular aircraft, registered N725DA, was an L-1011-385-1 Tristar, making it Delta's 25th L-1011. N725DA first flew on the 3rd of February, 1979 and was delivered later that month. '725 was configured as a domestic aircraft, seating 32 in first class and 270 in coach, and mainly flew on major domestic routes throughout the US.

First Impressions

1668995946766.jpeg

To be honest, a photo cannot really do this model justice (My poor lighting probably doesn't help either). At first glance, the model appears to be a pretty ordinary model, albeit one with a stunning livery, but it is once you take a closer look that this model truly shines. Once you are properly looking at it, the sheer amount of detail and work that was put into this model comes through. I won't go over it in too much detail here, instead, I will save that for a later section of the review.

The Mould

1668996040767.jpeg

At this point, I think we all agree that NG's Tristar mould is nigh-high on perfect, and this model is no exception. The engines, landing gear, no. 2 engine exhaust and other elements are all very finely detailed and represent the real thing very closely.

NG Delta L-1011 Detail Close-ups (1).png

If I had to find something to fault, I wouldn't be able to! I have absolutely no criticisms about the mould, so I give it a well-earned score of 10.

Score: 10

Details & Livery

Delta's classic widget livery has a simple yet classy look to it that has stood the test of time as one of the most attractive liveries ever made, and as I said before, the Tristar wears it very well. This section will be quite long, there is a lot to cover.

Forward Fuselage

Delta L-1011 Forward Fuselage Comparisons.png

The cockpit and forward fuselage area are very well done, and the cockpit windows are correctly placed and the right size. There are even tiny windscreen wipers printed on! I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the small back sections on the cockpit window outlines were not chipped paint and instead NG had given us another crazy detail! Kudos! The window line is at the correct level and the other detailing printed onto the polished fuselage is very nice, however, some details on the polished sections appear to have a thick outline. I will not take away any points for this because it doesn't really bother me and I imagine it is necessary to print such fine details onto a polished metal surface. The Delta titles are spot-on and the iconic blue and red cheatlines are the correct colour and width. The section where the white stripe on the fuselage meets the bare metal is the correct angle and size. The nose landing gear is very nicely detailed and I cannot fault it in the slightest. Absolute perfection by NG!

Centre Fuselage, Wings and Engines

Delta L-1011 Centre Fuselage Comparisons.png

There are not many differences livery-wise between this section and the forward fuselage. The only noticeable difference between the picture and model (aside from the Frisbee Fairing, which was not fitted on N725DA), is the different registration fonts. I have checked this against pictures of N725DA and the model uses the correct font. The engines are the correct type, and the engine pylons have some excellent detail. My only criticism of the engines might be the Delta titles and widget logo. To me, they appear too low on the engine, but that may just be the photograph angles. I think I will give NG the benefit of the doubt on this one, and not take away any points. The detailing on and around the fuselage doors is excellent and I commend NG on their effort here.

Rear Fuselage, Tail and No. 2 Engine

Delta L-1011 Rear Fuselage  and Tail Comparisons.png

By far the most complex but also the most unique and iconic part of the L-1011 is the tail, with the elegantly blended intake for engine 2. The tail has the iconic Delta widget on it, and NG has done it perfectly here. The 'Tristar' titles on the intake of engine no. 2 are well printed and the eagle (I think it's an eagle) logo surrounding the titles is also nicely done. The engine exhaust colour is a good substitute for bare metal, it could be polished but there are already a lot of polished surfaces on this model and I am not even sure if it would be possible on such a small part. The no. 2 engine exhaust has crisp detailing and the h. stab trim area (I don't know its actual name) is correctly-proportioned. The American flag is extremely detailed, I think I counted almost 50 stars! The rest of the rear section is up to NG's usual standards, with no visible faults.

Wings and Underbelly

Delta L-1011 Wings.png

When I took this model out of its packaging I was thrilled to discover that NG had not only polished the underbelly of the plane, but also the wings and h. stabs! They look stunning, and the extra bare metal finish adds a lot to the final look of this model when it is on display. The flap track fairings are very well done, and also seem to be extremely sharp! I am not sure whether this is because of the polishing or if NG has changed them since July last year, but when I went to take the model out of the cradle I nearly cut myself on them! The flaps are both engraved and marked on the model, and it gives a very nice final look. There are also some extra details printed on the wing, as well as the landing and navigation lights. Good job NG!

Front-on Profile

Delta L-1011 Front-on.png

I admit it was hard to find a picture from this angle, so this one will have to do. NG have gotten the shape of the black markings correct, and the curve of the blue and red cheatlines into the cockpit is spot-on. The cockpit printing is stunning, capturing that iconic L-1011 look perfectly. I do think the radome is a bit too small, but with the lighting on the other photo that is a bit hard to tell how big it should be. I will also give NG the benefit of the doubt on this one, as we are talking about things that you quite literally need a microscope to see.

To summarise that rather long section, I have one word: perfection. NG's detailing is second to one, and that really shines here. I really have nothing else to do other than to award this model the score that it deserves.

Printing and Quality Control

Printing

NG is the gold standard when it comes to accurate, sharp, bright and highly detailed printing, and this model is an excellent example of that. NG's stunning printing really shines through with the American flag next to the registration. It is no more than a couple of millimetres in size, yet it nearly has the correct number of stars. These sorts of things can really only be seen under a magnifying glass, and it is a testament to NG that they go to that effort to give us models to this level of detail. I have nothing to fault here, only praise.

Quality Control

In this hobby, there are few words as synonymous as NG Models and quality control. Perhaps the only other thing that comes close is Gemini and Emirates. NG has given us an expectation that they will deliver to an extremely high standard and most of the time they do. This model is no exception. There is not even a single visible mark on it, all the tyre hubs are painted and detailed beautifully, the polished metal is clear and free of scratches, the wings fit tightly into the fuselage, the v. stabs and engines are straight and firmly pushed in, not loose. I cannot fault this model, not even to an extremely high standard, and for that, I commend NG, for being the only manufacturer that can consistently give us excellent models without any faults.

Conclusion

NG has proven, time and time again, that they are truly dedicated to detail, accuracy, quality, and above all, that they care about their customers. NG is human, and like all humans, they make mistakes, but what sets them apart is the fact they are willing to learn from their mistakes and change. This model is a prime example of what happens when you listen to your customers and fix the things that need to be fixed. And you know what the result of listening is? Perfection. And that is the one word for this model, perfection. With this model, NG has reached it, and that is something truly admirable. This model will be talked about for many, many years to come, and it will be valued by collectors forever. NG has provided us with something almost identical to the real thing, and for that, I cannot give this model a higher score, nor could I give it any more praise.

Final Score: 30

That pretty much sums up what I have to say, and after 4 hours of writing, editing, researching and photographing, I am done. Thank you for reading, and please feel free to leave your thoughts below.

Thanks! - Qantas992

Last edited:
Nice review! I'm most happy about the fact that you didn't complain about the No2 engine missing the turbine as the only reviews I've seen about the L-1011 so far until now complains about missing it.

Really liking your review! Excellent attention to detail by NG highlighted by a thorough and comprehensive review. Looking forward to seeing more from you. This model indeed looks to be a work of art and I wish I would've gotten that.

The Gemini-Emirates joke cracked me up lol. Excellent review, and the chrome really makes this particular model stand out. I recall NG had some issues with electroplating, but it looks like they're resolved now. Can't wait to see the Cathay and Eastern bare metal.20221003_004219.jpg

Great write up Qantas992! Very thorough job, that really took some work on your part. I can see how much you love that model, it is a cracker.

Just to add something about the engine nacelles/exhausts, these parts are plastic and therefore it is not possible to electroplate/polish. As far as I'm aware, NG electroplate their metal castings (they had problems with this process on the L-1011 group of moulds until the middle of this year), rather than apply direct metal polishing processes.

On the QC, all in all it's been great for the L-1011, and I hope this can be maintained - there has been some observation on the 'other forum' regarding the sharpness of the top edge of the tail on recent castings - the forthcoming Air America photos show this area as not looking so crisp, with the top edge looking very rounded, more so than it has done before. Excess mould flash and material not being fully removed/finished properly would be the reason - the mould itself captures the tail edge faithfully, as already proved by the first mould sample photo (shown here for comparison with the latest Air America) and earliest releases. I have noticed the crispness of this area does vary, the fineness of this part is evidently difficult to maintain consistently.

Otherwise, it's an absolute gem of a mould and will continue to collect all the remaining classics still to be made on it (y)

Cheers!

Attachments

• L-1011-1 (2).JPG
    L-1011-1 (2).JPG
    306.1 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Thank you all for such kind words. I think I might do some more reviews like this, particularly of some of my older models. This will be it for now though, they take a long time to write.

Just to add something about the engine nacelles/exhausts, these parts are plastic and therefore it is not possible to electroplate/polish. As far as I'm aware, NG electroplate their metal castings (they had problems with this process on the L-1011 group of moulds until the middle of this year), rather than apply direct metal polishing processes.

On the QC, all in all it's been great for the L-1011, and I hope this can be maintained - there has been some observation on the 'other forum' regarding the sharpness of the top edge of the tail on recent castings - the forthcoming Air America photos show this area as not looking so crisp, with the top edge looking very rounded, more so than it has done before. Excess mould flash and material not being fully removed/finished properly would be the reason - the mould itself captures the tail edge faithfully, as already proved by the first mould sample photo (shown here for comparison with the latest Air America) and earliest releases. I have noticed the crispness of this area does vary, the fineness of this part is evidently difficult to maintain consistently.
I did suspect the exhausts were plastic, but I wasn't sure and I knew that someone would help me out. I did notice the roundness on the top edge of the tail, however, I thought it was just part of the casting so I thought nothing of it. There was no paint damage or anything like that so I just let it go.

Nice review! I'm most happy about the fact that you didn't complain about the No2 engine missing the turbine as the only reviews I've seen about the L-1011 so far until now complains about missing it.
One interesting point, you wouldn't even see the turbine on the #2 engine of the TriStar....the #2 engine sits in the end of the fuselage...just like a 727.
As @Purpleplane said, the no.2 engine sits out of the view of the intake, so you cannot see it in real life. I did notice on my first NG Tristar, but I did some quick research to make sure that it was meant to be like that. :)

Really liking your review! Excellent attention to detail by NG highlighted by a thorough and comprehensive review. Looking forward to seeing more from you. This model indeed looks to be a work of art and I wish I would've gotten that.
Thanks! I will definitely be making some more reviews, starting with the recent NG Qatar 777. The DL Tristar is a work of art. If you would like to know where there is one in stock, DM me. :)

The Gemini-Emirates joke cracked me up lol. Excellent review, and the chrome really makes this particular model stand out. I recall NG had some issues with electroplating, but it looks like they're resolved now. Can't wait to see the Cathay and Eastern bare metal.View attachment 6602
Thanks! :ROFLMAO: I can not wait for the Cathay and Eastern, I think I will review them once I get them.

Great review! I really want to get my hands on this model at some point, this might be the time to do so before it’s all gone everywhere.
Thanks! The retailer I bought this one from still has 1 or 2 in stock, I can send you their store via a DM if you would like. :)
I thought he was referring to the? :unsure:;)

Awesome model and probably my release of the year (just short of NG's Tu-154M)
Here's mine:
N725DA5 by Alexander Kern, auf Flickr
N725DA2 by Alexander Kern, auf Flickr
N725DA6 by Alexander Kern, auf Flickr
N725DA by Alexander Kern, auf Flickr
N725DA4 by Alexander Kern, auf Flickr
Thank you for sharing your pictures. I knew someone would provide better ones than me! :ROFLMAO: I think it is my model of the year too, maybe tied with my NG Qantas 787s. I think I might have been referring to the tailplane sealing fairing. Is that the painted diamond shape around the h. stabs?

Last edited:
Very interesting... Maybe one day on a 1:200 model someone will make the s-duct hollow and have the engine detailing at the end of it. I doubt this is likely, and I am even more sceptical about wether it is actually possible...

Very interesting... Maybe one day on a 1:200 model someone will make the s-duct hollow and have the engine detailing at the end of it. I doubt this is likely, and I am even more sceptical about wether it is actually possible...
Inflight does update their Tristar mould from time to time, so it isn't entirely out of the question. It's an old mould, but the frequent updates are the reason it's still so good.