The Haas-Turner AC-EA Tristar Swap Deal

YesterAirlines

Buchannan Models have been making quite a lot of obscure hybrids which have not always been to my taste. This latest hybrid however is more interesting since it helps shine a light on the unusual Tristar swap deal between Eastern and Air Canada that operated for much of the 1970s and was brokered by the Hass-Turner finance lease organisation:

I should also say that although the plastic cradle definitely doesn't fit properly that both my Buchannan L-1011s arrived undamaged @Mark22 . I e-mailed NG about it.

ACEA_L1011_01.jpg

There were two Tristars involved in this arrangement - CF-TNA / N312EA and C-FTNC / N315EA. As Eastern operated them for 6 months over the winter (December to May), and Air Canada for six moths through the summer (June through November), it was decided to paint one in Eastern markings (TNA/312) and the other in Air Canada markins (TNC/315). Every six months the titles and reg would be repainted, resulting in one blending in perfectly with the rest of the fleet, and the other operating in a hybrid scheme. Eastern operated them for the last time in May 1981, after which they were operated by Air Canada until they were sold to Air Transat. TNA was retied in July 2001 and is apparently preserved at Lyon in France. TNC was retired in 2002 and scrapped at Mirabel in Quebec Canada,