Show Your Latest 1:400 Purchase

Nice acquisition and photos! I don't have much experience with model photography (nor any proper photography at all) but I'm guessing you would want to increase thing that says something like "f. stop" in your settings if you want to fully focus on the plane.

Exactly. A higher f number and maybe positioning the camera a bit further away from the model will likely make it fully focused.

Is that SQ 772 from JC?

The SG airshow's lack of commercial jets is weird. SQ has a bunch of A350s laying around doing nothing, couldn't they have spared one?
yes it is SQ772 FD version from JC.

Indeed a lack of commercial jet, as most were either military or business jets. interestingly while i was at the exhibition site near airport, I can see endless sq a350s taking off from airport. probably that explains why, their business was busy?

Finally brought out the camera to take photos of my newest acquisition; Aeroclassics Delta 737-200 N317DL. Final one I needed out of the six 732s they released back to back. Nothing to complain as it came perfect!

View attachment 27755View attachment 27756View attachment 27757View attachment 27758

*I'm having a slight issue focusing fully on the aircraft as I've never really done much with model plane photography, if anyone has any advice to throw my way that would be appreciated!!*

As others have said, stoping down to the limit and keeping the sensor away from the subject is about the best you can do to get the full aircraft focused. Stopping down to the limit will require a longer exposure, so stabilization is required.

Edit:

The photos below were all taken at f22 except the Air Canada profile view which was taken at f8. On the PanAm front shot the tail is out of focus because I was too close to it. The macro lens I like to use only goes to 70mm, and I have gotten into the habit of not wanting to crop too much, and getting closer to capture a lot of detail on the areas that are in focus. Maybe it's time for me to start thinking about a new technique. The sun was so bright that I could get away with shooting f22 handheld at ISO 200.

Last edited:
And on the topic of photography and new arrivals, I decided to take my most recent arrivals for some outdoor shooting today. Felt like a fish out of water after spending years taking indoor photos.

Of course, the conditions seemed perfect when I first got the idea to take photos outdoors, but it is not until you are in the middle of the battle that you realize the light is harsher than you thought, and the wind a lot stronger.

Pan Am 747-121 N741PA Clipper Kit Carson by Aeroclassics

DSC_3250.jpg
DSC_3252.jpgDSC_3253.jpg

Air Canada 767-233 C-GAUN AKA the Gimli Glider by JC Wings.

DSC_3235.jpgDSC_3242.jpgDSC_3248.jpg

Regardless, natural light is pretty hard to beat...

Finally brought out the camera to take photos of my newest acquisition; Aeroclassics Delta 737-200 N317DL. Final one I needed out of the six 732s they released back to back. Nothing to complain as it came perfect!

View attachment 27755View attachment 27756View attachment 27757View attachment 27758

*I'm having a slight issue focusing fully on the aircraft as I've never really done much with model plane photography, if anyone has any advice to throw my way that would be appreciated!!*
Thank you to everyone who provided advice camera wise. I like to think i’m pretty good with photography but never have taken a stab with my own models aside from a few other instances which i’ll actually have to post on a different forum sometime. It’s funny how easy it was to fix that and so obvious too. But still helps a ton, thanks!!

*I do wanna get a macro lens to also get extreme closeups*

Thank you to everyone who provided advice camera wise. I like to think i’m pretty good with photography but never have taken a stab with my own models aside from a few other instances which i’ll actually have to post on a different forum sometime. It’s funny how easy it was to fix that and so obvious too. But still helps a ton, thanks!!

*I do wanna get a macro lens to also get extreme closeups*

Phantom gave away his secret for proper extreme 1:400 closeups not long ago, a probe lens. I have been thinking about one, but it has not made its way down to the front row of the priorities list just yet.

It has been quite a while since I last received new models in my collection (more are coming in this week). I would like to introduce my latest arrival: Herpa Wings Lufthansa B747-8 D-ABYA, which is made on the JC/GJ mould in my opinion (a full comparison will be available in the coming weeks to determine the exact root). The model is not available to the public and its existence is rarely known. Fortunately, I did not have to pay an arm or a leg for this beauty.

20240226_211235_HDR.jpg

My latest arrivals which all are old and discounted stocks made by NGModels. From the nearest:

Ethiopian Cargo Boeing 757-200 ET-AJS. A PW-powered freighter without winglet - more freighters for me.

20240229_220655_HDR.jpg

A regular pax B757 with the PW2000s - TWA / AA hybrid B757-200 N704X. The 27 year-old jet still flies today and operates as a passenger carrier for Delta, who keeps the same registration. N704X has been made in DL colors as well, also by NG. I am really a chrome-aholic.

20240229_220714_HDR.jpg

Next up a white livery machine - BMI Boeing 757-200 G-STRY. Hybrid liveries are nice to have in my 757 collection. This model is branded as Buchannan. Like N704X, the inner cradle is fully plastic without foam - a change that I didn't notice for NG 757s. In general, I really like the Ferarris of the Sky and can't stop adding them!

20240229_220726_HDR.jpg

Now for a new carrier in my collection, coming from a new nation - MIAT Mongolia Boeing 787-9 JU-1789. I tend to avoid not-active commercial aircraft as it steers away from my main collecting criteria. The aircraft currently (or maybe formerly) wears the Riyadh Air livery. I strongly believe this machine has been repainted back into MIAT's scheme awaiting for delivery, but unsure whether it is this new livery or the previous one. I just hope it turns out to be this one!
20240229_220750_HDR.jpg

My latest arrivals which all are old and discounted stocks made by NGModels. From the nearest:

Ethiopian Cargo Boeing 757-200 ET-AJS. A PW-powered freighter without winglet - more freighters for me.

View attachment 27914

A regular pax B757 with the PW2000s - TWA / AA hybrid B757-200 N704X. The 27 year-old jet still flies today and operates as a passenger carrier for Delta, who keeps the same registration. N704X has been made in DL colors as well, also by NG. I am really a chrome-aholic.

View attachment 27915

Next up a white livery machine - BMI Boeing 757-200 G-STRY. Hybrid liveries are nice to have in my 757 collection. This model is branded as Buchannan. Like N704X, the inner cradle is fully plastic without foam - a change that I didn't notice for NG 757s. In general, I really like the Ferarris of the Sky and can't stop adding them!

View attachment 27916

Now for a new carrier in my collection, coming from a new nation - MIAT Mongolia Boeing 787-9 JU-1789. I tend to avoid not-active commercial aircraft as it steers away from my main collecting criteria. The aircraft currently (or maybe formerly) wears the Riyadh Air livery. I strongly believe this machine has been repainted back into MIAT's scheme awaiting for delivery, but unsure whether it is this new livery or the previous one. I just hope it turns out to be this one!
View attachment 27917
NG’s 757 are just so beautiful, great pickups!

New months, new models for me! I would like to introduce 3 new jets that I received from half way across the globe.

Tibet Airlines A319-153N B-329H by PandaModels. I initially reluctant to get this model, particularly because it does not stand high on my wanted list and was widely available with good discount back then. However, when the real machine entered in service (it was in storage for quite sometime), all the stocks were depleted at an alarming rate and I lost my chance. Fortunately this store has it in stock, but it is not economically available to purchase it as a single item. So I waited and waited and finally have it in my hands at a much better price than before! Welcome the 2nd A319neo in my collection! P/s: I just noticed the the front gear door is not well in place, oh well!
20240301_174405_HDR-01.jpeg

Green - not the most popular color in the aviation world so I want to get one when I have the chance. Rarely do I get a special livery but I made an exception this time. Avianca Cargo A330-243F N331QT "Green" c/s by NGModels. The model is well made and up to NG's standard. The small "Avianca Cargo" title is present on the upper and lower wing surface of this model. Why NG, why did you miss the underbelly title of the BoA?
20240301_174445_HDR-01.jpeg

When speaking about NG's B789, I can say it is the best on the market right now: realistic mould, carefully printed detail, e.t.c. Though being the 2nd same subject release by the brand, this Norse Atlantic B787-9 LN-FNA isn't exactly the sane as the previous LN-LNO released 2 years ago. Nearly all are perfect!

20240301_174458_HDR-01.jpeg

When I made this whole order, there aren't any actual model photos by NG, so I believed everything would sail smooth. However, unlike the recent Norse UK, which is well represented, this model has too high window lines, which to my surprise, not being noticed by many when I raised the problem. So here it is compare with the Saudia B78X new retro scheme, which is my best NG Modern release last year. The difference is a little but has tremendous effect on the realisticness.

20240301_174635_HDR.jpg

20240301_192040_HDR.jpg

Last edited: