Retro Gold Coast Airport

Since a lot of people are doing retro airports, I might as well jump on the Band Wagon as well.

This project has been in planning for the good part of a year, and I am finally starting to construct it. As Gold Coast Airport (formerly Coolangatta Airport) approaches its 90th Anniversary in 2026, I thought that I would create a version of OOL in 1:400 from the late 1970's onwards.

The airlines that will be featured include, Ansett Airlines of Australia , Trans Australia Airlines, East-West, East Coast, Oxley Airlines, Eastern Australia Airlines, Hazleton Airlines, Impulse, and more.

Since retro models made by the likes of Aeroclassics and even GJ are getting up to around $100 in Australia, I have decided to make all the models myself. That includes ordering the models off of Shapeways and creating decals.

If anyone has any information regarding the following two airlines which operated from OOL during the 1990's, please let me know.

1. Southern Airlines
2. Coast to Coast Airlines

Below is a really clear satellite image from the early 1980's of the area I am going to be doing.

QAP38652429.JPG

Wow… I never knew OOL had been around for so long! This is a very exciting project, and I think I can help with the expensive model issue. Could you PM me a list of models that you are looking for? A friend of mine is leaving the hobby, and he might have some models that interest you.

Wow… I never knew OOL had been around for so long! This is a very exciting project, and I think I can help with the expensive model issue. Could you PM me a list of models that you are looking for? A friend of mine is leaving the hobby, and he might have some models that interest you.
Gold Coast is one of the older airports in the country