Phoenix 1:400 May 2023 Releases

LeoMuse747

Last edited:
This is a dilemma for me... I really want that Qantas 747, but the mould is awful. I guess I will just wait and see if NG really can deliver on their promise to make a 747 classic mould this year.

PH releasing many models that we're hoping NG would or should. The Cubana for me - doubt NG will ever release this one at the pace at which they have seem to be proceeding with their 154s.
The Air China 748 will wait for NG's....! That Canadian and SF are promising but outside of my criteria. And yeah that Qantas on that horrible horrible mould...... hmmm!

Pretty cool releases IMO. The Canadian 767 and Cubana Tu-154 are the highlights for me. The Tu-154 mould isn't really that good in my opinion, but the Canadian 767 must really be a very pretty model.

The Qantas 747 would be amazing but I guess everyone knows how I feel about the PH 747 mould 🤪

Yes, the Cubana TU-154 in that livery is actually a model that I have wanted for a long time. It makes me super happy that I will be able to just grab it new and not go to the seconds market to fight with the eBay die-cast toy investors, that would surely be hoarding them at $100+ if it was a release from 10 years ago (sorry for the rant, I will never get over it 😆).

I also like that Canadian 763 a lot! another 1990s classic. Not sure if I will get it, but surely makes me happy to see that kind of release. I also like the SF 763, but might not get it either.

PH releasing many models that we're hoping NG would or should. The Cubana for me - doubt NG will ever release this one at the pace at which they have seem to be proceeding with their 154s.
The Air China 748 will wait for NG's....! That Canadian and SF are promising but outside of my criteria. And yeah that Qantas on that horrible horrible mould...... hmmm!

I was actually hopping NG would release a Cubata TU-154 in that livery when they announced their molds, but like you said, who knows when they will get around to it? Maybe this release by PH will push them to compete. Either way, a Cubana TU-154 in that livery will be joining my collection soon.

I also like that Canadian 763 a lot! another 1990s classic. Not sure if I will get it, but surely makes me happy to see that kind of release. I also like the SF 763, but might not get it either.

Seeing Phoenix releasing some 1990s 767s fills me up with hope to see some of these:

Condor, Martinair, Varig (Landor colors, small titles).
Transbrasil would also be fantastic but I guess this one would be too obscure for PH.

The Cubana Tu-154 is an awesome release indeed, and I hope NG will wake up and release it aswell.
NG have the best 154 in 1:400 but is being very lazy with their releases... :(

Maybe this release by PH will push them to compete.
Hehe I suspect that NG, considering how they've been operating recently, don't seem to be affected too much by external pressure lol, unless there's a sizeable market need - I maybe wrong, but while they know there are the, let me put it this way, -'discerning collectors' who know of NG's quality and will probably wait for them to perfect a model - like they've been doing with their 1011s, albeit very s-l-o-w-l-y - models that will be prized possessions, probably their surveys indicate that the market for those are minimal? And thus they are of late pushing the popular ones in larger numbers - quality top-notch still - but these are perhaps more 'mass' and thus will be a better business proposition.
Some of my recent suggestions, they've replied saying 'they'll assess the market demand' and then decide. So yeah

Seeing Phoenix releasing some 1990s 767s fills me up with hope to see some of these:

Condor, Martinair, Varig (Landor colors, small titles).
Transbrasil would also be fantastic but I guess this one would be too obscure for PH.

The Cubana Tu-154 is an awesome release indeed, and I hope NG will wake up and release it aswell.
NG have the best 154 in 1:400 but is being very lazy with their releases... :(
Same here! I’d love to see Phoenix release an Ansett 763 or a Qantas 763 in the classic 1990s livery.

For all those thinking they need to jump on those 747s, wait - patience is key. NG will deliver these same models on a much better mould in due time ;)

Contrary to what it might seem to some, we are not blind, and the majority of collectors understand the deficiencies of the Phoenix 747-1/2/3/4 molds. Even those of us with a less critical eye for some things can see the shortcomings once they are pointed out to us. I have actually seen only a very small number of collectors that genuinely seem to think the Phoenix 741/2/3/4 is good.

Having said that, anybody can buy whatever they want. The argument of waiting for a better mold only applies to those collectors that exclusively collect highly accurate, highly detailed models. There are, however, collectors that collect for nostalgia and mainly want certain aircraft with certain livery. For the latter group, a top-notch mold is a welcomed plus, but not a requirement.

We are going to likely see the entire BigBird/Aeroclassics 747 catalog re-released to an improved standard at some point (maybe even by NG), but at this point in time that is a pretty big assumption for anyone to base their 1:400 747 purchase on.

BTW, I would imagine most have heard something already, but rumor has it that there will be some 747s using the BirgBird mold relatively soon. Again only a rumor, but there is that.

Contrary to what it might seem to some, we are not blind, and the majority of collectors understand the deficiencies of the Phoenix 747-1/2/3/4 molds. Even those of us with a less critical eye for some things can see the shortcomings once they are pointed out to us. I have actually seen only a very small number of collectors that genuinely seem to think the Phoenix 741/2/3/4 is good.

Having said that, anybody can buy whatever they want. The argument of waiting for a better mold only applies to those collectors that exclusively collect highly accurate, highly detailed models. There are, however, collectors that collect for nostalgia and mainly want certain aircraft with certain livery. For the latter group, a top-notch mold is a welcomed plus, but not a requirement.

We are going to likely see the entire BigBird/Aeroclassics 747 catalog re-released to an improved standard at some point (maybe even by NG), but at this point in time that is a pretty big assumption for anyone to base their 1:400 747 purchase on.

BTW, I would imagine most have heard something already, but rumor has it that there will be some 747s using the BirgBird mold relatively soon. Again only a rumor, but there is that.
With regards though to the Lufthansa 747-8, I’d be willing to bet $100 USD that NG will have one to sell within the next 12 months or sooner!

Yeah… I realized afterwards you guys were talking about the -8. I’m not used to seeing PH -8 get the same treatment their other 74s get, on top of that I generally forget about the -8 releases 1 second after I see them. Oh well I suppose I could have used the time it took me to write that post to do something less productive.