Pets and Diecast - A disaster waiting to happen?

Very sorry to see this. I have also seen many incidents of damage including my cat getting a Delta A321 recently and my headphone wire getting 3 or 4 off the table and somehow not damaging them. Recently had an Alaska 737-800 HTWS nose chip from my table moving which was very sad. Have to think and be super careful. Hope you're able to get another one.

Very sorry to see this. I have also seen many incidents of damage including my cat getting a Delta A321 recently and my headphone wire getting 3 or 4 off the table and somehow not damaging them. Recently had an Alaska 737-800 HTWS nose chip from my table moving which was very sad. Have to think and be super careful. Hope you're able to get another one.
Like your headphone incident, I have had the sleeve of my jacket get caught on the winglet of a model, particularly the A350s, and knocked them off the table. Luckily I have been able to repair most of those. Apparently cat's just have a mutual sense of dislike for models! :ROFLMAO:

Like your headphone incident, I have had the sleeve of my jacket get caught on the winglet of a model, particularly the A350s, and knocked them off the table. Luckily I have been able to repair most of those. Apparently cat's just have a mutual sense of dislike for models! :ROFLMAO:
I did that with my favorite model when I only had 2 models (Both 1:200) and knocked it off my table destroying one of the main gears, removing some of the aerials and detaching the elevators. It was pretty sad since I used it for my very first stop-motions. Even worse it was an MD80 and I gave it a name because the landing gear rolls better than my 757. Now it sits on one of my shelves and the thing replacing it is probably my NG L1011 which I also love.

I did that with my favorite model when I only had 2 models (Both 1:200) and knocked it off my table destroying one of the main gears, removing some of the aerials and detaching the elevators. It was pretty sad since I used it for my very first stop-motions. Even worse it was an MD80 and I gave it a name because the landing gear rolls better than my 757. Now it sits on one of my shelves and the thing replacing it is probably my NG L1011 which I also love.
That is extremely disappointing... Were you able to find a replacement?

That is extremely disappointing... Were you able to find a replacement?
Yeah it was. And I never got a replacement because I got it from Amazon and because I wasn't really able to afford one at the time. I think it's been around 3 years since I had it now. Though I have 1 model even more damaged than that and it wasn't even pet's fault.

Yeah it was. And I never got a replacement because I got it from Amazon and because I wasn't really able to afford one at the time. I think it's been around 3 years since I had it now. Though I have 1 model even more damaged than that and it wasn't even pet's fault.
That’s really sad. Maybe one day someone will rerelease it and you can replace it.

Good news! I went to my local store today and got my replacement model. I’m very happy with it and I consider myself lucky that my cat did not get the model sitting next to it, my NG Qantas 787 Yam Dreaming, which would be far more difficult to replace. On another note, it was interesting to read all of your stories about accidentally breaking a model. I hope you all can replace your broken models like I did, so that your broken models’s stories can all have happy endings. :) Here is my replacement model:

68098890-FF1E-4C09-8718-9519AEAA0AB7.jpeg

Good news! I went to my local store today and got my replacement model. I’m very happy with it and I consider myself lucky that my cat did not get the model sitting next to it, my NG Qantas 787 Yam Dreaming, which would be far more difficult to replace. On another note, it was interesting to read all of your stories about accidentally breaking a model. I hope you all can replace your broken models like I did, so that your broken models’s stories can all have happy endings. :) Here is my replacement model:

View attachment 6245
Nice! Now you're making me want to make myself go even more bankrupt.

It's a beautiful model, I couldn't recommend it enough! Worth going bankrupt over. :ROFLMAO:
Yeah but that's until NG decides to release something I really want like an Delta L-1011 or a L-1011 in lettuce so not worth going bankrupt over. I'm also starting to think we go more and more off topic the more we carry on with these replies.

Yeah but that's until NG decides to release something I really want like a Delta L-1011 or a L-1011 in lettuce so not worth going bankrupt over. I'm also starting to think we go more and more off topic the more we carry on with these replies.
Fair enough in both regards. Let’s stop. :)

As of right now I’m living at school and the only cat we have is the resident dorm cat Smokey who is at least 15 years old and doesn’t climb everything and is pretty chill since she’s a senior kitty. That being said, once I return home my cat Mriya who is 4 and extremely energetic poses a challenge for me and my collection. Thankfully I think I have a place for my models that is cat proof enough to protect them from damage :)90267D34-E3A0-415F-9DD8-3511B59F7C27.jpeg
This is Smokey

24B6E685-7F6E-473C-994E-B5D0193854AF.jpeg
And this is Mriya. She looks all innocent here but she’s not innocent in this case

View attachment 6245
If you still have the old SP you can use it as a storage/scrapping diorama :)

Hi all! This morning I awoke to a bone chilling sound, the sound of die-cast metal falling onto hard wooden floors. Exhausted after a long day yesterday I had left the door to my display cabinet open overnight and my cat was presented with an opportunity to explore a new part of the house. The consequence of this was him knocking one of my favourite models, the NG Qantas 747SP, out of the shelf and onto the floor, destroying the model.

View attachment 4907

Considering the angle in which the model landed, I am surprised the tail did not receive more damage. Even despite this, the model is completely destroyed, losing engines no. 1 and 4, and the other two being loose. The left vertical stabiliser is detached and so is the outward left main landing gear. Even if I could glue this model back together, there is a huge amount of paint chips all over the fuselage and wings, and the right wing is loose as well. Oh well, mistakes are made, off to the local model shop I go!

View attachment 4908

This is the main perpetrator, looking very cute and innocent in this picture but in reality he is anything but innocent.

If any of you have similar stories surrounding pets damaging or breaking some of your models, please share them!
So sorry for your loss Oz... Don't be too hard on the little guy. Mine knocked an A320 off its stand. Luckily no damage to the model, but did lose the antennas... Oh well, an excuse to buy another. Thankfully too, it was a JC 320, not a favorite. I would be gutted if it were an NG ... chin up mate

Hi all! This morning I awoke to a bone chilling sound, the sound of die-cast metal falling onto hard wooden floors. Exhausted after a long day yesterday I had left the door to my display cabinet open overnight and my cat was presented with an opportunity to explore a new part of the house. The consequence of this was him knocking one of my favourite models, the NG Qantas 747SP, out of the shelf and onto the floor, destroying the model.

View attachment 4907

Considering the angle in which the model landed, I am surprised the tail did not receive more damage. Even despite this, the model is completely destroyed, losing engines no. 1 and 4, and the other two being loose. The left vertical stabiliser is detached and so is the outward left main landing gear. Even if I could glue this model back together, there is a huge amount of paint chips all over the fuselage and wings, and the right wing is loose as well. Oh well, mistakes are made, off to the local model shop I go!

View attachment 4908

This is the main perpetrator, looking very cute and innocent in this picture but in reality he is anything but innocent.

If any of you have similar stories surrounding pets damaging or breaking some of your models, please share them!

Important Note:
Cats and Model Planes don't get along with each other.

Thank goodness I have a dog in my house.