On Collecting Criteria: Inside One Collector's Mind

Jazajia

I thought we had discussed "what is your collecting criteria?" here on MAF, but could not find a specific thread on that, maybe I am confused with the thread about how to expand a collection, in which we discussed the topic.

So here I go touching on the topic of collecting criteria in an unconventional way, by focusing on three recent models that are on the outskirts of my main focus, and what was it that made me buy them. If you click on the title or the photo you can read the article in my blog, and see nice photos of the models. Feel free to discuss it here and share any similar experiences!

Attachments

• Criteria.jpg
    Criteria.jpg
    836 KB · Views: 2
Thank you for a very well-written article! It was interesting to see into the mind of another collector and what effects the choices they make regarding what models they buy.

My criteria fall into these five categories:

1. Models of aircraft that fly into my home airport, MEL/YMML. These are all modern, present-day aircraft, that I use in dioramas and often see in the skies over Melbourne.
  2. Australian and New Zealand models. These models are anything from the dawn of commercial aviation to ultra-modern A350s and 787s. If a model is released from this area, chances are that I will buy at least one copy of them. Airlines such as Qantas, Air New Zealand, Virgin Australia, Jetstar, REX, etc, etc all fall into the modern section of this criteria. Airlines such as TAA, Ansett, TEAL, MMA, etc, etc fall into the classic section of this criteria.
  3. Models of aircraft I have seen or flown on. I feel like this is a very common criteria with many collectors. These models are from all over the world, and as long as it has the same registration as the one I saw or flew on, I will buy it!
  4. Aircraft/livery combinations that I think go really well together/just look good together. An example of this is the recent BA and DL Tristar by NG. I have never seen one of these, nor have they ever even visited Melbourne, but they just look really good, and that is why I bought them.
  5. Models that have a special place in my heart. I have spent a lot of time in Asia, and have even lived in China for a big part of my life, and during that time, I flew on and saw many more aircraft than I ever could have if I had stayed in Australia. These airlines and aircraft, such as Cathay Pacific, Dragonair, China Southern, Singapore Airlines, etc, etc, have all had a big part in my early experience of aviation and I honour that by collecting large numbers of models that fall into this category.

Excellent post! The two questions I ask myself when looking for a new purchase are "what aircraft?" and "what model?"

Regarding the choice of aircraft, I totally agree on the importance of a personal connection. Having grown up in the 2010s, I'm far more attached to modern widebodies than classics. The 747-8i is especially dear to me, as it's the first and only 747 variant I've ever been on. Flights to Seoul and Singapore were regular occurrences, so I naturally became fond of KAL and Singapore Airlines. My criteria's also been influenced by my experience with models. I collect Cathays because I remember being blown away by a friend's 1:200 Cathay A330; that was my first encounter with diecast as well.

As for deciding which specific model to get, I tend to value accurate moulds above all else. Scale isn't a factor as long as the mould is great, and a subpar mould is a deal-breaker even if I love the aircraft. Recently I'm also paying more attention to landing gears and aerials. Gears for most manufacturers are crude in both 400 and 200 scales, so a metallic finish or crisp moulded details really make a model stand out. Aerials in 400 scale tend to be proportionally oversized, so smaller ones are always welcomed. Given such criteria, I heavily favor NG in 1:400 and JC in 1:200. NG's moulds and printing are immaculate, but their detailed, smooth-rolling landing gear and intricate aerials put them above everyone else. JC's printing is suspect at times, but their moulds beat Inflight200's almost across the board.

Which one of the two, aircraft or model, is more important? Personally I'd say the model. Recently I've found myself enjoying models of aircraft I've no personal connection to, simply because the models themselves are so well made. I've never seen a Cathay L1011 or a KAL 747SP in the flesh, but they're two of my favorite models.

To sum up, my general criteria are as follows. Of course, there are exceptions.
  1. KAL, Cathay & Singapore only
  2. Modern widebodies only, with the L1011 & 747 classics as exceptions
  3. Preferably NG for 1:400, though JC/GJ & AV400 are alright
  4. Preferably JC for 1:200
  5. No cradle moulds or interactives

Last edited:
Thank you for a very well-written article! It was interesting to see into the mind of another collector and what effects the choices they make regarding what models they buy.

1. Models of aircraft that fly into my home airport, MEL/YMML. These are all modern, present-day aircraft, that I use in dioramas and often see in the skies over Melbourne.
  2. Australian and New Zealand models. These models are anything from the dawn of commercial aviation to ultra-modern A350s and 787s. If a model is released from this area, chances are that I will buy at least one copy of them. Airlines such as Qantas, Air New Zealand, Virgin Australia, Jetstar, REX, etc, etc all fall into the modern section of this criteria. Airlines such as TAA, Ansett, TEAL, MMA, etc, etc fall into the classic section of this criteria.
  3. Models of aircraft I have seen or flown on. I feel like this is a very common criteria with many collectors. These models are from all over the world, and as long as it has the same registration as the one I saw or flew on, I will buy it!
  4. Aircraft/livery combinations that I think go really well together/just look good together. An example of this is the recent BA and DL Tristar by NG. I have never seen one of these, nor have they ever even visited Melbourne, but they just look really good, and that is why I bought them.
  5. Models that have a special place in my heart. I have spent a lot of time in Asia, and have even lived in China for a big part of my life, and during that time, I flew on and saw many more aircraft than I ever could have if I had stayed in Australia. These airlines and aircraft, such as Cathay Pacific, Dragonair, China Southern, Singapore Airlines, etc, etc, have all had a big part in my early experience of aviation and I honour that by collecting large numbers of models that fall into this category.

Glad you liked the article. You gave a very interesting and detailed explanation of your collecting criteria yourself. The. Delta L1011 by NG is an excellent example of a model that I think many of us bought because it is just so nice. I might have come across them in Miami in the nineties, but even if I did I don't remember anyway. But seriously, I think that model is going to be talked about for decades to come in the world of 1:400 scale, and I'm glad to have a copy. I also have the BA Landor L1011 pre-ordered never saw it, but I just love that livery and they did visit Venezuela (well, the -500, but the -200 is close enough...).

Excellent post! The two questions I ask myself when looking for a new purchase are "what aircraft?" and "what model?"

Regarding the choice of aircraft, I totally agree on the importance of a personal connection. Having grown up in the 2010s, I'm far more attached to modern widebodies than classics. The 747-8i is especially dear to me, as it's the first and only 747 variant I've ever been on. Flights to Seoul and Singapore were regular occurrences, so I naturally became fond of KAL and Singapore Airlines. My criteria's also been influenced by my experience with models. I collect Cathays because I remember being blown away by a friend's 1:200 Cathay A330; that was my first encounter with diecast as well.

As for deciding which specific model to get, I tend to value accurate moulds above all else. Scale isn't a factor as long as the mould is great, and a subpar mould is a deal-breaker even if I love the aircraft. Recently I'm also paying more attention to landing gears and aerials. Gears for most manufacturers are crude in both 400 and 200 scales, so a metallic finish or crisp moulded details really make a model stand out. Aerials in 400 scale tend to be proportionally oversized, so smaller ones are always welcomed. Given such criteria, I heavily favor NG in 1:400 and JC in 1:200. NG's moulds and printing are immaculate, but their detailed, smooth-rolling landing gear and intricate aerials put them above everyone else. JC's printing is suspect at times, but their moulds beat Inflight200's almost across the board.

Which one of the two, aircraft or model, is more important? Personally I'd say the model. Recently I've found myself enjoying models of aircraft I've no personal connection to, simply because the models themselves are so well made. I've never seen a Cathay L1011 or a KAL 747SP in the flesh, but they're two of my favorite models.

To sum up, my general criteria are as follows. Of course, there are exceptions.
  1. KAL, Cathay & Singapore only
  2. Modern widebodies only, with the L1011 & 747 classics as exceptions
  3. Preferably NG for 1:400, though JC/GJ & AV400 are alright
  4. Preferably JC for 1:200
  5. No cradle moulds or interactives

Glad you liked the post! I am very tolerant of ugly molds in favor of the sentimental value of the aircraft, that Mesa CRJ is a great example, talk about out-of-proportion aerials, and that ugly nose... But I do go for mold accuracy if the aircraft doesn't hold much sentimental value for me. For example, I have a small collection of Southwest aircraft, and for their 737NGs I am pretty much sticking with NG models. Good to know that JC has a good reputation in 1:200, I don't purchase too many models of the larger scale, but the number keeps increasing, so that's good info.

Glad you liked the article. You gave a very interesting and detailed explanation of your collecting criteria yourself. The. Delta L1011 by NG is an excellent example of a model that I think many of us bought because it is just so nice. I might have come across them in Miami in the nineties, but even if I did I don't remember anyway. But seriously, I think that model is going to be talked about for decades to come in the world of 1:400 scale, and I'm glad to have a copy. I also have the BA Landor L1011 pre-ordered never saw it, but I just love that livery and they did visit Venezuela (well, the -500, but the -200 is close enough...).
You make very valid points. Although I hope this day never comes, if NG does collapse, I believe that a lot of their models, especially their L-1011s, 757s and 747s, will become among the Big Bird and Aeroclassics 747 level sort-after. And even if they don’t, and they continue to produce models for a long time, they still will be highly sort-after and lovely models that retain their value for many, many years to come. I don’t collect models for the sole purpose of planning on selling them sometime in the future, because to me that is not the point of this hobby. I collect models to be able to display detailed, accurate, delicate and beautiful models for myself and visitors to see.

You make very valid points. Although I hope this day never comes, if NG does collapse, I believe that a lot of their models, especially their L-1011s, 757s and 747s, will become among the Big Bird and Aeroclassics 747 level sort-after. And even if they don’t, and they continue to produce models for a long time, they still will be highly sort-after and lovely models that retain their value for many, many years to come. I don’t collect models for the sole purpose of planning on selling them sometime in the future, because to me that is not the point of this hobby. I collect models to be able to display detailed, accurate, delicate and beautiful models for myself and visitors to see.
Considering models as investments diminishes their appeal quite quickly. It's easy to just abstract them as words or numbers on a spreadsheet, as opposed to detailed replicas worthy of admiration. Of course it's great if a model I like happens to be valuable (like NG's Delta Tristar), but value retention shouldn't ever take priority over what one's heart says.

If NG does go under sometime (highly unlikely given their reputation), it wouldn't be outside the question for JC to acquire and reuse their moulds. Getting excellent moulds for cheap would be a shrewd business decision on their part.

Considering models as investments diminishes their appeal quite quickly. It's easy to just abstract them as words or numbers on a spreadsheet, as opposed to detailed replicas worthy of admiration. Of course it's great if a model I like happens to be valuable (like NG's Delta Tristar), but value retention shouldn't ever take priority over what one's heart says.

If NG does go under sometime (highly unlikely given their reputation), it wouldn't be outside the question for JC to acquire and reuse their moulds. Getting excellent moulds for cheap would be a shrewd business decision on their part.
Same! I see a model’s monetary value as a bonus, not the reason I own it. If a model I own is rare, that’s just a cool fact, and nothing else. My attachment to the models come directly from the story behind them, that being the way I acquired the model, or what its real life counterpart means to me.

In this hypothetical scenario, I think JC acquiring their moulds would be the most likely, knowing their history.

Thank you @YankeeVictor for this interesting article talking about collection criteria. This creates a great exchange forum for fellow members to share their perspective. As of my part, these are my main collecting criteria:
- Firstly, active aircraft of flag carriers, then secondary airlines throughout the world, with suitable equipments flying to my fictional diorama airport. I tend to have only one representative for each airline. A second copy is acquired only when the livery is striking (for example: current livery of Rossiya - i love those patterns, Aeroflot metalic grey). I would also prefer uncommon active type for my purchase (for example: I chose A343 for South African Airways, B748 for Korean Air, Azerbaijan A345, Eastern B763 in fingerprints livery with RB211,…). However, I still miss many airlines across the globe, which I will try my best to fill the void!

- Secondly, aircrafts from my home country carriers. I do not buy all releases though, because my priority is for the first.

- Thirdly, aircraft for my fictional airline, based on my fictional islands. My fictional islands are off coast of Japan in the Pacific ocean. This geometry constraints help me choose the suitable type for my first criteria. My airline has a fleet of B752 - the Ferraris of the Sky, all of them are from NG and mostly are old hybrids. I have around 15 of 757 for the fleet and that number does not stop getting higher - NG B752 are the most realistic models for 1:400 imo. While the 752 are very capable and versatile, it cannot covers all airports with short and rugged strips. Therefore I have a fleet of BAe and Avros (11), ATR42 (6) and Fokkers (2 x F100, 1 x F70 is on the way from South Africa - this one I bought In September, the seller has sent it and it last update was in the beginning of October, with position: South Africa. I dunno when I can receive this jet). I have a small fleet of “good ol’ veterans which also serves the islands.
- Lastly are the interesting aircraft of the past time. This criteria is gradually building up. I started first with Aeroflot IL62 Olympic Carrier - the model had zinc rot at an astonishing level and could not be saved. Then came the Aeroflot IL86. Also I had SAS B742, BOAC B741, both of which are GJs. I got a long pause after the Ilyushins I got the CX Lettuce B743, then the newly-released AI B743 and just a few days ago a CX B744, also Lettuce.

Last edited:
Great article Yankee Victor. My collecting criteria is pretty simple:
1. Mainline aircraft that visit or have visited IND, either with regularly scheduled service or charter.
2. Aircraft that I have flown on.

The main reason I did this was to keep my collection from getting out of control. There are a lot of beautiful models out there, and I would probably get most of them if I didn't limit myself.

Here is my criteria (listed in order of priority as of right now):
1. Anything and everything Retro FSD Project related. Mainly 80s and 90s aircraft are the highest priority.
2. Any modern aircraft I have yet to get (e.g. Delta A220-300).
3. General retro aircraft.
4. Other interests.

Im mostly don't have high criteria but the ones that i have are this:
1) in 70% of the time it have to be a classic retro 747 and in 90% it have to be just a 747 don't matter if it modern or classics
2)it most have some colours on it
3) i prefer it to be an Israeli one or one that used to fly to ben gurion airport or that i have seen or flew on it (or that it used to operate for a airlines that have one this criteria)
4) it can't be 737 Max
5) it's have to be in good enough condition
6)it have to in 1/400 (as you can see by my username)
And that's it more or less

There are some great lists here, so how about another:

1) Any sentimental attachment
2) Any aircraft that I have seen/been on
3) Any aircraft that flys to my model airport(s)
4) Unquie/New Airlines or Aircraft for my collection
5) Any aircraft that I really like
6) Dare I say American Airlines

My criteria are mostly similar with what's been said here already, but perhaps the priorities are a bit different.

1) First and foremost my highest priority is the aircraft (regs) that I've personally flown on. I had been quite infamous in the past for flooding NG's email inbox with requests, and I actually ended up getting not one but four of those requests done. Not only that but I was lucky to find a few more flown regs out of coincidence, and I hope to find more down the road!

2) Any aircraft with other means of sentimental attachment. Seen at airports, flown by relatives, etc.

3) Delta and/or 767/A330. Starting from this criteria, if it does not pass my mould standards it is most likely that the plan of purchase will be disregarded.

4) Any aircraft that flies to the SBA airport.

5) If the model doesn't fit in any of the above four and is still sitting in my collection, it means that there is something about that airplane that I like by heart. For example an Alaska Oneworld 739 does not fit in any of these categories but it still is one of my favorite models; I sometimes can't even tell what my brain thinks!

Last edited:

I echo those criterias, but then inspired by Richard Stretton's collections, I decided to portray the history of major US airlines, including internals that I never saw.

I agree, I think the notion that models are good investments is what drives the speculative prices we see in the seconds market. Mainly in, but not limited to, eBay. But I think it is natural to have a little comforting feeling in owning a truly sought-after model.

Thank you @YankeeVictor for thí interesting article talking about collection criteria. This creates a great exchange forum for fellow members to share their perspective. As of my part, these are my main collecting criteria:
- Firstly, active aircraft of flag carriers, then secondary airlines throughout the world, with suitable equipments flying to my fictional diorama airport. I tend to have only one representative for each airline. A second copy is acquired only when the livery is striking (for example: current livery of Rossiya - i love those patterns, Aeroflot metalic grey). I would also prefer uncommon active type for my purchase (for example: I chose A343 for South African Airways, B748 for Korean Air, Azerbaijan A345, Eastern B763 in fingerprints livery with RB211,…). However, I still miss many airlines across the globe, which I will try my best to fill the void!
- Secondly, aircrafts from my home country carriers. I do not bought all releases though, because my priority is for the first.
- Thirdly, aircraft for my fictional airline, based on my fictional islands. My fictional islands are offcoast of Japan in the Pacific ocean. This geometry constraints help me choose the suitable type for my first criteria. My airline has a fleet of B752 - the Ferraris of the Sky, all of them are from NG and mostly are old hybrids. I have around 15 of 757 for the fleet and that number does not stop getting higher - NG B752 are the most realistic models for 1:400 imo. While the 752 are very capable and versatile, it cannot covers all airports with short and rugged strips. Therefore I have a fleet of BAe and Avros (11), ATR42 (6) and Fokkers (2 x F100, 1 x F70 is on the way from South Africa - this one I bought In September, the seller has sent it and it last update was in the beginning of October, with position: South Africa. I dunno when I can receive this jet). I have a small fleet of “good ol’ veterans which also serves the islands.
- Lastly are the interesting aircraft of the past time. This criteria is gradually building up. I started first with Aeroflot IL62 Olympic Carrier - the model had zinc rot at an astonishing level and could not be saved. Then came the Aeroflot IL86. Also I had SAS B742, BOAC B742, both of which are GJs. I got a long pause after the Ilyushins I got the CX Lettuce B743, then the newly-released AI B743 and just a few days ago a CX B744, also Lettuce.

I share your interest in rare current subjects. For example, I like the current Eastern 767s, a nice break among the big three here in the U.S. I haven't bought a model from them though.

Great article Yankee Victor. My collecting criteria is pretty simple:
1. Mainline aircraft that visit or have visited IND, either with regularly scheduled service or charter.
2. Aircraft that I have flown on.

The main reason I did this was to keep my collection from getting out of control. There are a lot of beautiful models out there, and I would probably get most of them if I didn't limit myself.

I saw a Cargolux 747 in your collection, I assume it visits IND during peak to help FedEx out?

As you probably saw in the article I can find ways to justify some random purchases 😅, but I have just a handful of models that make me think "why did I buy this?" so I think I'm keeping good control for the most part.

Thanks to all that have taken the time to share their thoughts. It is nice to see that for the most part the "get what you like and like what you get" seems to be the common factor among many collectors, at least to some extent.

I saw a Cargolux 747 in your collection, I assume it visits IND during peak to help FedEx out?

As you probably saw in the article I can find ways to justify some random purchases 😅, but I have just a handful of models that make me think "why did I buy this?" so I think I'm keeping good control for the most part.
Actually, Cargolux is regularly scheduled in to IND. They normally operate on Wednesdays, Fridays, and Sundays. They normally run LUX-IND-LAX and return and LUX-IND-ORD and return. I'm not sure, but I think the flights in from LUX are to bring in materials in for Roche Diagnostics...they have a huge operation on Indy's Northeast side. I've also heard that some of it is for Eli Lilly, which is headquartered here. The model that I have, LX-VCB is also the first Cargolux 747-8F to operate into IND. I also need a Cargolux 747-400 as those operate in here quite frequently.

Last edited:
Actually, Cargolux is regularly scheduled in to IND. They normally operate on Wednesdays, Fridays, and Sundays. They normally run LUX-IND-LAX and return and LUX-IND-ORD and return. I'm not sure, but I think the flights in from LUX are to bring in materials in for Roche Diagnostics...they have a huge operation on Indy's Northeast side. I've also heard that some of it is for Eli Lilly, which is headquartered here. The model that I have, LX-VCB is also the first Cargolux 747-8F to operate into IND. I also need a Cargolux 747-400 as those operate in here quite frequently.

Interesting, I've passed through IND many times, but never noticed them there. I've been wanting to get a model of them too since they are common at IAH,their livery looks good too.

My original plan when I started was to get one of each airframe released. Like one B747-100/-200/-300-400 etc. However I did buy loads of different model and lost it. Today I have narroved down (due to the space is getting limited) to SE, LN, OY and TF registrations. I also collect models I have flown on. This means my most common airlines are SAS, Icelandair and Thai Airways. Still space for some more models.