Old models costing like new - Why?!

LeoMuse747

Hello everyone. Here's something to debate:

I personally enjoy buying some older models. I don't really care about their lack of modern features, such as antennas or other fancy stuff we get in newer models.
I like hunting these because they're usually cheaper (and also because I order lots of customs and use these older models as donors)... but that seems to be coming to an end.

On Ebay, I used to get 1:400 models from the early 2000s era (old Gemini Jets and Dragon Wings most of the time) for dirt cheap prices, specially in auctions.
Nowadays, I'm having a hard time finding a Dragon Wings B747-100/200 for less than 35 USD. I'm not saying this is exactly an expensive price, but it's not "dirt cheap" as it used to be. I'm not talking about hard to find and popular models, by the way. I'm talking about those "old JAL special colors no one gives a thing about it", but yet they are now being listed from $35 to $60 on websites. Lots of auctions starting at mere $1 are also rare nowadays.

I've also been coming across some collection sales in a few famous retailers websites, but what I found? Old GJ 727s being listed for $50, even some quite unwanted models like Planet Airways 727. lolwut. These are old models being sold for the same prices as new NG, Phoenix or JC Wings models!!!

Any ideas about what is happening? I know some sellers are simply greedy, but sometimes it doesn't seem to be the case.
Why is the market raising the prices of these older models? Is the demand for older models high nowadays?

Last edited:
The prices of both old and new models have gone through the roof in the last few months. I also can't explain why this is happening, but some models are getting so expensive that it's not worth buying them even if they are awesome...

I hope something changes or the prices get reduced but I highly doubt it.

Sellers finally adapt to how the collectible market (for less sought after stuff) works.
Auctions only work when there's enough (>1!) bidders with a serious interest. If you auction something "niche" starting at 1$ you'll likely attract some bargain hunters and have it sold for 5-10$ in the end even if one of the bidders was a "serious" one. Offer the same model starting at 30$ that same bidder might still bite. Even though it might take some weeks for that bidder to show up the seller is still better off this way.

Last edited:
Reselling (by retailers) is indeed part of the problem. I sold some models on Marktplaats (dutch equivalent of Ebay) only to see the models being sold again at a higher price.

Same is happening more and more on aviation fairs.

In general I wish more people had the mindset of "lets make another collector happy against a fair price" instead of the "let's get rich" attitude.

Reselling (by retailers) is indeed part of the problem. I sold some models on Marktplaats (dutch equivalent of Ebay) only to see the models being sold again at a higher price.

Same is happening more and more on aviation fairs.

In general I wish more people had the mindset of "lets make another collector happy against a fair price" instead of the "let's get rich" attitude.
It is really sad what this hobby is turning into because of this. I believe everyone should ENJOY these models/ look at them, instead of seeing them as a future investment! If that were the case, then these models would certainly have a lower cost.

I feel so bad for young collectors who are still in college or working in minimum wage jobs who can not afford an NG 757 because it costs over 60€ now. And God forbid if you are late to purchasing it from retailers because the resell price on EBay can be almost twice as that! :mad:

Would we like to talk about the 767 neos? More than 100 usd….

Wish the best for the seller but… also if I would like it so much… can stay where it is

In my experience sellers are just realizing that re-releases are less and less common. More manufacturers are jumping to the latest and greatest while ignoring constantly in demand choices that people want released. In other words, the market is becoming more of a collectable situation where you can’t really afford to miss a release. If you do, you may not see that model for a few years. Manufacturers are avoiding this because if you have a model that is pretty commonly available, Consumers don’t really have an incentive to buy quickly. With this, a manufacturer can release a popular product, quickly satisfy demand, and then wait several years before releasing again. I guess this is sort of a natural evolution of the market to create demand.

In my experience sellers are just realizing that re-releases are less and less common. More manufacturers are jumping to the latest and greatest while ignoring constantly in demand choices that people want released. In other words, the market is becoming more of a collectable situation where you can’t really afford to miss a release. If you do, you may not see that model for a few years. Manufacturers are avoiding this because if you have a model that is pretty commonly available, Consumers don’t really have an incentive to buy quickly. With this, a manufacturer can release a popular product, quickly satisfy demand, and then wait several years before releasing again. I guess this is sort of a natural evolution of the market to create demand.
To be honest nothing has changed in terms of re-releases. There are vastly more models being made in 2024 compared to 2010 and a huge amount are re-releases of past models - probably more than half. Although there are a lot of models that haven't been remade (mostly old BigBirds and Aeroclassics) brands like JC, PH and GJ re-release the same models regularly and few of the models are really hard to find in retail stores often years after they were released. It doesn't explain the increase in prices for old Dragon, Gemini and other less impressive models in the scale.

@Mark22 is spot-on with his analysis. There has been a big increase in the number of new retailers and the number buying up collections. This has driven up secondhand prices across the board, especially of models that were made in smaller volumes and are in demand, especially in the US, like a lot of Aeroclassics and BigBird.

Most of the rest of the rise is simply inflationary. People selling often don't know what a model is worth or whether it is an old inferior release. They judge based on current prices of new models. Then you get people who think a model with a 1,500 production run is somehow RARE :LOL:

Ignorance is definitely part of it, along with the cashing in aspect.

@Mark22 is spot-on with his analysis. There has been a big increase in the number of new retailers and the number buying up collections. This has driven up secondhand prices across the board, especially of models that were made in smaller volumes and are in demand, especially in the US, like a lot of Aeroclassics and BigBird.
You’re right in the sense that this is a big part of it, but from what I’ve seen (especially at my local retailers) is that people want certain models that just haven’t been released in years. A big one for me is the AC 77W. I live near YYZ and I find it very common for collectors to want this model, but Gemini hasn’t released one and neither has any other major manufacturer (except for an old phoenix release). This is arguably the most desired model here other than maybe the AC A220. The demand is especially high when it comes to the toothpaste livery which hasn’t been released in years and sells for upwards of 100USD. Obviously, there are popular models that are either constantly in production or are consistently released. But from my experience, resellers are taking advantage of crazy demand and zero supply.

I also think that @AustrianCollector is correct in the sense that models are now seen as investments. I even see collectors picking AC 77Ls because they know the value will hold there until the next release. This used to be more of hobbyist sort of thing where collectors picked it up just because they wanted to add a key piece to the collection, but now we are seeing collectors buy them for reselling.

It’s probably important to mention, the crazy demand is probably region specific. I doubt there is huge demand for the AC 777 in Germany. I see (in my opinion) obscure and old Gemini jets or Dragon wings for cheap from local retailers. However my assumption is that if you lived in an area where that aircraft is really prevalent or historical, price probably goes up quite a bit.

Last edited:
I feel so bad for young collectors who are still in college or working in minimum wage jobs who can not afford an NG 757 because it costs over 60€ now.
Yeah this sucks, especially since models have never been better. With all the innovation happening in 1:400 and more recently 1:200, folks who aren't loaded are missing out on a lot.

Leo mentions the GJ Planet Airways 722 as an example. I have bought about six of those for custom projects and never paid more than $30ish shipped and all for one. Same thing with the Phoenix Crossair MD-80 with the 2001Congratulations titles. I have more than 10, all purchased for less than $20.

Nowadays I will see those models go for a bit more than what I paid for them. I think it could be because a few years ago the retailers that had been holding those models since released knew that they were poor performers and dumped them for low prices. New retailers with collection sales in their hands might see things differently and, at least for now, might be reluctant to let those same models go for cheap. Since we are talking about models that are widely recognized as prime custom donors, they might have started to become legitimately rare.

As for DW, I have always thought their 747s are underrated. If you aren't allergic to plastic and can live with primitive landing gear, then the DW747s are on par with the oh-so-coveted BigBirds from the early 2000s, in my book at least. DW also made some cool classic liveries that add value to models made on their poorer molds.

Going back to the 747s, I think NG recent struggles, and the new generation of AC not being as good as the originals, could be contributing factors to DW's excellent 747s becoming pricier.

Sorry for those of us who love a good bargain, but at the same time it is good seeing collectors appreciate the value of older models.

Probably depending how rare of the old release is, have seen old releases ranging from less than $50 to all the way over $800s.

Probably depending how rare of the old release is, have seen old releases ranging from less than $50 to all the way over $800s.

I did mention that the "old models" i'm talking about aren't rare... they're actually quite unwanted on the market.
For example: GJ Braniff 727s