NG Models MD-81/82/83/88 Mould Sample Review

YesterAirlines

The announcement of new MD-80s is, for me, even more exciting than 747s. There are few other types that were as popular globally and yet have had such a poor representation in 400 scale. Judging by the number of livery requests already I can tell I'm not alone in having high expectations for the type in the coming months and I'm glad to say that these mould samples do deliver. There's always room for some modification but these are impressive:

NG_MD80s_HEADER.jpg

Thanks for the review. Glad to see there aren't many issues considering this is their first attempt at this aircraft family.

I'd say they should add the side strakes on the nose as they are in my opinion capable of making them the correct size, given their level of detail with the engine nacelle strakes.

Last edited:
The announcement of new MD-80s is, for me, even more exciting than 747s. There are few other types that were as popular globally and yet have had such a poor representation in 400 scale. Judging by the number of livery requests already I can tell I'm not alone in having high expectations for the type in the coming months and I'm glad to say that these mould samples do deliver. There's always room for some modification but these are impressive:

View attachment 23109
Awesome review. I'm really as excited to see these come along. I agree with those minor issues you noted. Remember to add the thrust reverser issue as you didn't sum it up at the end of the article.

And as you stated, hopefully they don't get neglected. There are way too many possibilities. And, well, money to be made for them with these models.

I think they could make the nose strakes as separate attachable parts as they do with antennas.
That would certainly set them apart from the competition. Is there still time for them to do that before it goes into production? Then we would need a DC-9-50 with the same detailing (AC is the only game in town and lacks them)... and then from there it's only a slippery slope to a -30 and -10.

Part 2 of the big MD-80 wishlist covering the rest of the world is here:

Looking forward to these releases. Finally a complete family (if we don’t count the 90s and DC-9s yet).

Curious as to how they will use the streaks. This aircraft family uses them on the endings and the nose. Panda has used them on the Tu-134s pretty nicely.