Model Review - Continental Airlines Boeing 777 by Phoenix

YesterAirlines

Aside from by Aeroclassics Continental Airlines Globe scheme hasn't been well served in 400 scale in the past decade. There's still no 737-300, and no modern 737-800 or 757-200 without winglets, or 757-300 or 767-400. At least there is finally a new 777-200, which allows the retirement of the ancient Gemini edition. It is another example of Phoenix's increasing forays into US markets and their new found eye for an excellent release:

CO_B772_N76010_01.JPG

Good review as per usual mate, however a bit generous with the grade of the mould methinks. Perhaps for that time, an 8/10 might have been just. Do you think the mould deserves an 8 against today's competition?

Cheers,
S

Good review as per usual mate, however a bit generous with the grade of the mould methinks. Perhaps for that time, an 8/10 might have been just. Do you think the mould deserves an 8 against today's competition?

Cheers,
S
It's difficult with these out of 10 scores and the detailed review of the 777s gives a more nuanced view BUT yeah I still think an 8 is ok. The issues with the mould are small things (tailcone detail, lack of free rudder, maingear door shape, engine fans). None are worth losing an entire point over so I thought an 8 was still appropriate, but you could argue for a 7 maybe. Definitely not lower for me.

Phoenix definitely needs to update their 777. The engine are a big issue (shape, fans number and shape, nacelle size and proportions, etc.). They should also make the different options: GE90-94B, PW4000 and Trent 800 for the -200/-200ER/-300, and the GE90-115B/-110B for the -200LR/F/-300ER. The APU and landing gears needs improvement too. Also, Phoenix could add more details to the fuselage.

Totally agree with your criticism. I've noticed that the nose shape and cockpit window placement on GJ's 777-200, is not the greatest.

I was tempted to get their flaps down Air Canada 772, but backed away after I saw the nose. This leaves NG as the only option for me in the category.

My only issue with their mould remains the APU, but the rest of the model is excellent!

I just can’t believe Phoenix’s endless stream of killer release choices. I was very happy to see this one released.

Haven’t gotten around to purchasing it though. Don’t really want to replace my GJ as it has the “Bob Six” name on the nose. But I’m sure sooner or later I will find a way (and time) to make space 😆